Having a hard time understanding the narrative against Mac Jones and the athletic QB requirement

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Mac is more athletic than people realize. He was a very good tennis player which requires a lot of good foot work, quick decisions, and and an ability to analyze your opponents.
I promise you people consider him 'un-athletic' because of his awkward slides and his 'soft' build. But watching him it's obvious he moves well and knows how to control his body.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
I promise you people consider him 'un-athletic' because of his awkward slides and his 'soft' build. But watching him it's obvious he moves well and knows how to control his body.
They also calling him unathletic because he doesn’t take off for 60 years and he can’t throw across his body, they’re criticizing Tua for the same thing, but just like at the end of the day, defense wins championships in the NFL, a QB making a key throw from the pocket will always win a championship as well, you can run around like a magician all season you’re gonna have to make some grown man throws in the postseason, Mac is more than capable of that. Even if he needed to run for a first he can do that, he made a couple of runs in the playoffs that even surprised me, he has some wheels, nothing major but it’s there.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Whatever happens with Mac I hope he proves a lot of people wrong. The way some people have piled on him because they think Fields and/or Lance is better has been really annoying. And I'm not someone who is convinced Mac will work out in the NFL.

It'd be great to see some peoples reaction if he goes #3 overall and just blows up the NFL relatively quickly.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Whatever happens with Mac I hope he proves a lot of people wrong. The way some people have piled on him because they think Fields and/or Lance is better has been really annoying. And I'm not someone who is convinced Mac will work out in the NFL.

It'd be great to see some peoples reaction if he goes #3 overall and just blows up the NFL relatively quickly.
And the absolutely crazy thing is there is currently an article on ESPN.com about Justin Fields being stereotyped and being "talked down" leading up to the draft in favor of Mac Jones. LOL!

So you've got one crowd who thinks Mac Jones is being "talked down" and wrongly criticized while Fields and the rest of the QB's are being praised and another crowd who feel Mac Jones is being elevated and Fields is being discredited due to a stereotype being applied to him. This world is crazy!!!!

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
And the absolutely crazy thing is there is currently an article on ESPN.com about Justin Fields being stereotyped and being "talked down" leading up to the draft in favor of Mac Jones. LOL!

So you've got one crowd who thinks Mac Jones is being "talked down" and wrongly criticized while Fields and the rest of the QB's are being praised and another crowd who feel Mac Jones is being elevated and Fields is being discredited due to a stereotype being applied to him. This world is crazy!!!!
I think the problem is people are talking about two different groups of people.

The stuff with Mac is mainly coming from "draft experts" on twitter/social media. Some of who I normally respect. Some from smaller draft sites that i respect less. Its one thing ro highlight Fields or Lance it's another thing to take Mac's worst plays out of context and mock him constantly which I've started to see a lot of.

Honestly there is probably some truth to both sides

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Honestly there is probably some truth to both sides
Agreed. This happens every year where the talking heads over analyze and overstate and understate every top prospect leading up to the draft. Most of them are not qualified to really do it but it does not stop them from putting their opinion out there. The good news it will be over this week.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
It seems like most of Bama's players are being downplayed by the experts.....................I think before it's all done we will see how wrong they were
Which is funny because they downplay the Bama prospects until it’s time to discredit Mac and it’s “look at the talent he had!”.

Reactions: rolltide7854

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Honestly I would be more concerned about Justin Fields than Mac. The guy just screams Dwayne Haskins 2.0. Everyone wants to say how much a risk Mac is, but really what has Fields shown that doesn’t make him a bigger risk? And don’t get me started on Lance...

Reactions: FaninLA and CB4

DymaxionDon

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 14, 2019
In my opinion a lot of the negativity around Mac Jones comes from Big 10 fans with a big case of butt hurt. The idea that Justin Fields is not a lock to be the number one overall pick is driving them crazy. Never underestimate Big 10 arrogance!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
In my opinion a lot of the negativity around Mac Jones comes from Big 10 fans with a big case of butt hurt. The idea that Justin Fields is not a lock to be the number one overall pick is driving them crazy. Never underestimate Big 10 arrogance!
I’m not so sure that is true. It probably more comes from the growing trend of people wanting the pocket passing quarterback to end with Brady. San Francisco is a loaded team that should be challenging for a Super Bowl, and if they get a pocket passer like Mac it could potentially hurt the idea that the game has changed narrative.

Personally I think Fields and Lawrence aren’t going to make it far, and we are just going to continue to reset these “guy that is going to be face of the franchise” arguments over and over until someone wises up and realizes that having a natural top 5 pick means you need far more than a quarterback.

• Thank You
Reactions: Con and B1GTide

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Honestly I would be more concerned about Justin Fields than Mac. The guy just screams Dwayne Haskins 2.0. Everyone wants to say how much a risk Mac is, but really what has Fields shown that doesn’t make him a bigger risk? And don’t get me started on Lance...
I think really highly of Fields actually, I mean dude threw 6 TDs against Clemson in a Playoff game with broken ribs taking hit after hit when he could’ve hurt the team and thrown in the towel, and he’s nothing like Haskins. Fields is a gamer no doubt, I think him and Mac will have the biggest success coming out of this draft.

Lance is interesting, he has a solid ceiling but the lowest floor out of the group (maybe tied with Wilson), he played in the wing T in HS so he has the least amount of modern QB experience of the group which is scary imo.

• Thank You
Reactions: tusks_n_raider

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think really highly of Fields actually, I mean dude threw 6 TDs against Clemson in a Playoff game with broken ribs taking hit after hit when he could’ve hurt the team and thrown in the towel, and he’s nothing like Haskins. Fields is a gamer no doubt, I think him and Mac will have the biggest success coming out of this draft.

Lance is interesting, he has a solid ceiling but the lowest floor out of the group (maybe tied with Wilson), he played in the wing T in HS so he has the least amount of modern QB experience of the group which is scary imo.
Okay what did he do the other 7 games? He was mostly mediocre vs mediocre competition. Let’s not pretend Ohio St drew monsters in their big 10 draw. Fields is by far the most unproven quarterbacks in the draft. One game doesn’t change that truth.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.