Having a hard time understanding the narrative against Mac Jones and the athletic QB requirement

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The thing that sets MJ apart from the others is his footwork in the pocket. He was the highest rated qb under duress last year. He avoided sacks by subtle movements up and back, and sliding side to side. The whole time keeping his head up and eyes downfield.

Certainly there is some advantage to having a guy that can pressure the defense in the run game with out of the pocket mobility. But a guy like MJ can also be just as frustrating to a defense. Think about it. He is always “right there” yet he “steps up” or slides one way or another, gets the ball away downfield. And he does it time and time again. That can be as demoralizing to a pass rush as a Mahomes or Lamar Jackson breaking contain.

All analogies breakdown at some point, but I liken Mac to a great tennis player that always seems to have their “feet set” in the correct position to return a serve or volley. That tennis player “anticipates” the shot, reads it, and places themselves in a fundamentally correct position to make that return. Mac does exactly the same: anticipates, reads, and his footwork instinctively puts him where he needs to be.

And IMO there is a lot of athletic ability in doing that, without running a sub 4.5 40 yard dash.
His dad was a tennis pro and his sister lettered at CoC. Here he is, playing...

Twitter

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
List of Hall of Fame QB's who look like a preacher in a suit, except for Namath, somehow you could never mistake him for a preacher.

Terry Bradshaw 1970-1983
Brett Favre 1991-2010
Dan Fouts 1973-1987
Bob Griese 1967-1980
Jim Kelly 1986-1996
Peyton Manning 1998-2015
Dan Marino 1983-1999
Joe Namath 1965-1977
Ken Stabler 1970-1984
Bart Starr 1956-1971
Roger Staubach 1969-1979
Johnny Unitas 1956-1973
Kurt Warner 1998-2009
Stabler and Favre could both really move with their feet!

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
His dad was a tennis pro and his sister lettered at CoC. Here he is, playing...

Twitter
I may have read that about his family tennis connections somewhere, in particular his father. I certainly wasn't aware his sister played tennis at C of C. I know I've seen video of Mac doing footwork drills with his trainer last year. Didn't make that connection.

I knew the Carlsons that kicked for the Barn had a tennis pro for a father that played at Alabama. Matter of fact, a strong family lineage to Bama going back to the grandfather.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
The following is said not in anger but in amusement - I'm not sure there's another 1st-rounder that's been the subject of more inane and idiotic prattle before and after the draft than Mac Jones. I'm sure it doesn't bother him in the slightest - he's going from a coach with 6 NC's in college to a coach with 6 SB wins in the NFL. IMO, he's the right QB in the right place and will distribute vast servings of crow before long.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The following is said not in anger but in amusement - I'm not sure there's another 1st-rounder that's been the subject of more inane and idiotic prattle before and after the draft than Mac Jones. I'm sure it doesn't bother him in the slightest - he's going from a coach with 7 NC's in college to a coach with 8 SB wins in the NFL. IMO, he's the right QB in the right place and will distribute vast servings of crow before long.
FIFY

But I agree. The love for Fields and the hatred towards Mac made me skip watching the draft this year.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
There is some points that have been made by Lombardi that I do buy. One being that there was no smoke screen by the niners. Really who could they bluff at #3. They traded up for Mac, and why they didn’t take him is anyone’s guess
Idk. Possible but i don't believe it. Mac went after their original pick didn't he? I think they traded up for Lance the whole time. I just dont think you trade up that high unless youre already sure.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Idk. Possible but i don't believe it. Mac went after their original pick didn't he? I think they traded up for Lance the whole time. I just dont think you trade up that high unless youre already sure.
My point is that the Bull crap media narrative of “smoke screen” is just that. At #3 who the heck are you going to bluff? They were seriously considering both.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
There is some points that have been made by Lombardi that I do buy. One being that there was no smoke screen by the niners. Really who could they bluff at #3. They traded up for Mac, and why they didn’t take him is anyone’s guess
Oh I can buy it. A cursory glance around society today ought to give anyone at least an inkling of thought that they could have been pressured away from the pick. Of course they wanted Mac. Mac fits the profile of the kind of QB for their system better than any of the rest of the first rounders. Lance may be a revelation and Mac may falter. But no one honest believes that right now.

And by “they” I mean the front line football people in that organization. Not the back office executives.

Reactions: B1GTide

TideCowboy

Dec 15, 2016
Not quite the same but similar to judging pitchers by their 40 times. Running ability can come in handy but is way down the list of QB traits.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The point I don't buy - and I don't remember if he made it or some other inane commentator - was that he needed a "red shirt" year and they'd remodel his body. He's going to look the same in a year. He's a "hard gainer," and he's never going to look like a Greek god, any more than Brady does. He works hard now in the gym. There's all this talk about his weight. He wears more rib padding than most. I guess most of the "commentators" never wore it...

• Thank You
Reactions: TideEngineer08

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.