Update on possible upgrades to Coleman Coliseum ...

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I didn't. Me too, but not quite that many years. I'm licensed in about 40 states. I'm structural. What type of stuff do you do?
I spent the first 20 years of my career in petrochemicals. Started out in plant engineering - some of everything. I had almost memorized the 1983 NEC. The biggest project I worked on then was a 2 billion dollar grass roots olefins plant. I got into water about 20 years ago and now I do Public water systems. I have a project now where demo of existing equipment is prohibitive so we’re stuck with the storage tank we have. Perhaps like Coleman.
I started out as a ChemE. Have been slowly working on an MSCE.

Reactions: dayhiker

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I spent the first 20 years of my career in petrochemicals. Started out in plant engineering - some of everything. I had almost memorized the 1983 NEC. The biggest project I worked on then was a 2 billion dollar grass roots olefins plant. I got into water about 20 years ago and now I do Public water systems. I have a project now where demo of existing equipment is prohibitive so we’re stuck with the storage tank we have. Perhaps like Coleman.
I started out as a ChemE. Have been slowly working on an MSCE.
That's a totally different sandbox from where I play. I do 95% of my work as building design.

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Have you ever done work on any Houston projects? Substructures here are interesting. And the soil is horrible.
I have. Fortunately, most of the ones I've done haven't had the typically awful soils of TX. It seems like a distribution center I did outside of town was on drilled piers though.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I have. Fortunately, most of the ones I've done haven't had the typically awful soils of TX. It seems like a distribution center I did outside of town was on drilled piers though.
I built a small process unit about 30 years ago on the Ship Channel that was on piers.

Cracking house slabs is very common here. Gumbo soil. High PI.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
I'm firmly in the New Arena camp. The Purinton comments strike me as more of the usual Athletic Dept lip service about Coleman that is never followed up. Why does there seem to be such an aversion to having our basketball facilities join the 21st century, especially with all the $$ rolling into the Athletic Dept? Practically every other sport at UA has seen a real upgrade in facilities, but not BB. Mind-boggling really.

Here's hoping another big season from Oats and the boys changes the calculus.

Reactions: TexasBama

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
IF Coleman cost too much to tear down (because of asbestos) then leave it for gymnastics and other activities and just build a new dedicated space just for basketball.

Gymnastics needs lots of space anyway but a new arena could have a smaller court and seats up close and in person.

I'll be disappointed if we spend 10's of millions on Coleman.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
If it was 600 million just for Coleman, that is a crapload of money for one building. What the hell would they be building it out of? Titanium?
Yep, the Barn's new arena was $90m IIRC. I thought I read the renovation plan was going to be a total gutting of Coleman and starting over.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Yep, the Barn's new arena was $90m IIRC. I thought I read the renovation plan was going to be a total gutting of Coleman and starting over.
Construction costs are still a bit on the high side right now. auburn's arena was completed in 2010 so it was built during the recession and cost were a bit low. That same building now would be over 100 million easily. Do we even have a plot of land that a new building could even be built?

Fun fact: I used to work for a firm that did a lot of bid projects. We would always play a game to guess the lowest bidder. Winner would get a $25-$50 cash prize. In 5 years I never won. I always guessed too much. The winner 90% of the time was always the older architects.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Construction costs are still a bit on the high side right now. auburn's arena was completed in 2010 so it was built during the recession and cost were a bit low. That same building now would be over 100 million easily. Do we even have a plot of land that a new building could even be built?

Fun fact: I used to work for a firm that did a lot of bid projects. We would always play a game to guess the lowest bidder. Winner would get a $25-$50 cash prize. In 5 years I never won. I always guessed too much. The winner 90% of the time was always the older architects.
I don't believe so. I believe I saw where we would possibly play at the BJCC in Bham during the renovation period.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Didn't the SEC sign a new tv contract with ABC to replace CBS for quite a bit more money than what they were getting from the previous contract? I know there will come a point where the revenue from tv will peak but it seems like it's still increasing at the moment. We should use some of that increased income to invest in the future of our basketball program as it is the 2nd most high profile collegiate sport by building a new, first class arena. We're one of the richest athletic departments in the country so it is ridiculous that our basketball team is still playing in Coleman.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
IF Coleman cost too much to tear down (because of asbestos) then leave it for gymnastics and other activities and just build a new dedicated space just for basketball.

Gymnastics needs lots of space anyway but a new arena could have a smaller court and seats up close and in person.

I'll be disappointed if we spend 10's of millions on Coleman.
I've heard from contractors relatively recently that asbestos abatement isn't nearly as expensive as it used to be. Of all the reasons to possibly not tear it down, I can't imagine asbestos being one of them.

Reactions: BamaMoon

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.