Texas LB Jake Ehlinger found dead (brother of Sam Ehlinger)

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
So is this a subtle way of saying suicide?

View attachment 16303
That’s the conclusion I came to as well. This is a tough life changing moment for a family to navigate. Being a linebacker my first thought was CTE. Regardless, prayers for peace and love to the family, and the hopes that whatever happened can be used as a lesson to keep it from happening to another person.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Their father passed away some time ago of a heart attack while doing a triathalon. Tragic.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Their father passed away some time ago of a heart attack while doing a triathalon. Tragic.
My brother-in-law stopped doing "extreme endurance" type runs because he had one of his good friends, who was a cardiologist and entered these events with him, drop dead of a heart attack while training. He now believes those types of events simply put too much strain on the heart and ultimately is what caused his friend's death. He now does 5K's and half marathons, "only".

Back on topic, I feel for the Ehlinger family.

• Wow
Reactions: 92tide and lowend

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
My brother-in-law stopped doing "extreme endurance" type runs because he had one of his good friends, who was a cardiologist and entered these events with him, drop dead of a heart attack while training. He now believes those types of events simply put too much strain on the heart and ultimately is what caused his friend's death. He now does 5K's and half marathons, "only".

Back on topic, I feel for the Ehlinger family.
i ran ultra marathons for 15 years (did over 50 of them) and only knew of one person that dropped dead early, he was 54 and it was my understanding that he had a “widow-maker” situation and he collapsed one morning in his kitchen having coffee.

i know tons of folks that ran/still run these type of events well into their later years with no issues

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
With his dad dying young-ish (I think he was mid-40's when he passed) I bet they're looking at natural causes first and foremost.

Regardless, what a crushing blow for a family that buried a husband / father just a few years ago.
Ross was 47 at the time of his passing. I hate it for the Ehlinger's family. Just the mom, Sam and Morgan, now.

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
For some strange reason when i read about his death this morning i didn't think of suicide at all, just how could a young healthy guy like that die of natural causes, i hope it's not but sadly i may be wrong.

OSUTideFan

All-American
Dec 17, 2019
Indiana
For some strange reason when i read about his death this morning i didn't think of suicide at all, just how could a young healthy guy like that die of natural causes, i hope it's not but sadly i may be wrong.
Hitherto unknown congenital heart issues strike elite young athletes sometimes. :cry:

Reactions: crimsonaudio

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.