Jags cut Tim Tebow at Tight End...

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
If that is true, good for him.
I heard it from chris landry, an old nfl front office guy, now does mostly consulting. Urban has made a boatload of money coaching and media, tebow was a prime factor in his success, he could be signed and placed on the IL or the PUP list and then cut later, we'll see.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
I just don’t see this panning out. The only reason he was signed is because he’s Urban’s friend. The last played NFL game he played in was in 2012.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I heard an interesting tidbit today, tebow is only 3 games away from being fully invested in his nfl pension. He and urban are very good friends, maybe this has a little to do with it.
If that's true then I'm happy for Tebow. He's a stand up guy and anybody in his shoes would want that pension for life too.

Tebow will always have a job in TV if he wants it, but I appreciate his desire to still play.

In his peak years at UF. If UF needed 3 yards a direct snap to Tebow was almost 100% successful. I hated it but admired it.

Reactions: B1GTide

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I hope the pension angle is true. Urban has an uphill rebuilding job to do. The last thing he really needs is an old, smallish, inexperienced TE when he has better options already on roster...
Too bad most NFL teams don't use a full back anymore. I think he could be successful there...not sure about now though. Not playing for a few years probably has taken its toil.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

Satire aside, I honestly don’t know which one is worse (on AND off the field).

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I’m tired of both Urban and Tebow hope the Jags suck badly because it has 3 people in sports I am tired of. Lawrence is the other. But if they want to continue that is their decision. But the guy gets more chances than anyone in history. I get that some see this as inspirational, but at some point you have to question why this guy keeps getting chances when there are far far far better guys that are questioning retirement because they just got cut. The guy appears to be a good human being, but at some point we have to seriously question what is it about this particular guy that earns him chance after chance. I hope he doesn’t get hurt and Atleast walks away happy but other than that the Jags are on my “I hope they are 0-17” list, and they were on that list way before Tebow.

As for Tebow being controversial.... he is but a good part of it isn’t his fault. A good chunk of it is sports reporters that are totally for and against him. Another is his involvement with Urban Meyer.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
With all respect, I'm not so sure about that. Wasn't it because his proselytizing caused problems in the pro locker rooms one of the reasons he didn't hang around? IMHO, this is a smoke screen to 1) sell more tickets, and 2) have someone bigger on the roster to take pressure off Sunshine.
It depends what locker room you are talking about. He certainly divided the Jets locker room. There is a reason Greg McElroy got a NFL start in 2012, and became their #2 quarterback after trading multiple picks for Tebow. Rex Ryan never wanted him, and noone but the owners and Tebow fans wanted him in New York. There are very few on the Jets who speak highly of him. But ultimately he was booted because he sucked. Hell Cutler caused just as much hell in the locker room but was called back from retirement to start at quarterback for a team he never played for

Tebow's pride is what kept him from doing this from the get-go. It was obvious by how slow, deliberate, and fundamentally flawed his throwing was, that he was not going to be a successful NFL quarterback.
Ultimately this maybe the god to honest truth. Rex Ryan tried to use him on special teams but he wouldn’t do it. Then Belichick gets him and him and Daboll tries to teach him how to play TE. But he wouldn’t do it.
Let's see....

it's in John Elway's book.......you know....the John Elway who said coming out of Stanford when he was going to get drafted, "I want to play for a contender."

And it might ALL be true.
And it might also be someone wanting to sell books, too.

I'll concur with the musings about the completely irrational fans who practically worshipped the dude, though. That was unlike anything I've ever seen with one exception...involving many of those same people.
Everyone who worships the guy always points to the 2011 WC game as proof that he belongs and is being black balled by the NFL. But they all fail to accept 3 truths about that one particular game.

1) the Steelers had major injuries to an already bad defense. The Steelers were extremely thin at db and they couldn’t use Ryan Clark because his sickle cell issues prevented him to play at Denver because of the altitude. So the defense was basically Polamalu and Harrison due to injuries. But even then they shut Tebow down all but one play in the 2nd half. It was the 26th pass defense.

2) What happened the next week. Yes Tebow had a great 1st quarter but what about the other 3? It might have been the 2nd easiest playoff game that the Patriots had in the dynasty next to the 2018 Chargers game.

3) He was on an offense that was going to break the single season Touchdown passing record the next year, and one that was competing for 2 Super Bowls the next four years.

I think Tebowmania is the largest part of why people hate the guy. If you can’t see that the guy isn’t a good NFL player then I question what is a bad football player to those folks. I would say guys like Matt Flynn, Byron Leftwich, and AJ mccarron are infinitely better than Tebow and were shut out from full time starting roles way too soon in their career. None of those players had the toxic and rabid fan bases either. Most of the controversial aspects of Tebow come from his fan base and his pro Tebow media personalities that constantly push insane arguments and opinions. It really has nothing much to do with him being Christian or White. It’s the fandom that follows him.

Last edited:
Reactions: TideEngineer08

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
I wonder if this is a way for the Jags to get attention by signing the Jacksonville hometown hero or if they think Tebow will be a real addition to the team.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I wonder if this is a way for the Jags to get attention by signing the Jacksonville hometown hero or if they think Tebow will be a real addition to the team.
Player-attitude Coach-chaplain-mascot-lightning rod—he’s the Swiss Army Sword of the franchise...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.