Having a hard time understanding the narrative against Mac Jones and the athletic QB requirement

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Nobody blows a lead like Shanahan.
when the question comes “worst NFL coach to win a SB” I always say Switzer. But when it comes to #2 I’m always back and forth with Kubiak and Reid. Reid is the ultimate choker and lucked into playing a new age choker while Kubiak inherited a SB team after being crap his whole career.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
Speaking of RB's, Najee maybe the prototype of the future. Not only does he run the ball, but he is excellent at receiving too. He averaged 9.9 yards/rec last year and 4 TD's. Basically you have another receiver in the back field who can block or run the ball. The Stealers should be drawing new plays to utilize NJ's abilities.

they already utilize the RB heavily in the pass game.. Najee will fit like a charm..Though they will be needing a QB soon. Ben is almost done

Bill from NYC

Scout Team
Dec 24, 2020
The NFL rule changes that protect the QB will really help Mac. Years ago, defenders would brutalize qbs with late hits. They would get fines and the owners would slip them the money. Doing that today would result in an owner being fined millions and losing draft picks. I think that if Chris Chandler was playing under the rules of today, he would have been a superstar but in the old NFL this very talented qb was beaten half to death.

The best thing about Mac is how fast he can look off of a receiver who isn't going to get open on a particular play and find one who will. This is the hard part of playing QB and I never saw anyone in college foortball better than Mac at doing this. In summary, I give MJ a VERY good chance to succeed in the NFL. There are just so many good things about this kid that make it likely for him to do so. He is VERY smart, accurate, hard working, and his arm is more than adequate.

I also have high hopes for Bryce Young. One little twitch in the A Game fooled a defender and gave him the second he needed to throw a perfect pass to the end zone.

As always, jmo.

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I heard the other day that Najee Harris has more career receiving TDs than David Palmer.
This doesn't surprise me since Palmer played when Coach Stallings was the head coach. We didn't sling all over the place in the 90's.

Upon checking on it, looks like they are both tied at 11 receiving TD's.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
This doesn't surprise me since Palmer played when Coach Stallings was the head coach. We didn't sling all over the place in the 90's.

Upon checking on it, looks like they are both tied at 11 receiving TD's.
That's right, it was that they were tied.

And definitely true on the Stallings years. It's amazing to me that Palmer's 1993 season was, for a long time, the best WR season in our history with 61 rec for 1000 yards. I can't remember which WR broke those numbers; it seems like maybe it was DJ Hall. Nowadays that's a pretty good stat for a half a season for whoever our #1 WR is.

Times have certainly changed.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
That's right, it was that they were tied.

And definitely true on the Stallings years. It's amazing to me that Palmer's 1993 season was, for a long time, the best WR season in our history with 61 rec for 1000 yards. I can't remember which WR broke those numbers; it seems like maybe it was DJ Hall. Nowadays that's a pretty good stat for a half a season for whoever our #1 WR is.

Times have certainly changed.
Might have been DJ Hall. He held those receiving records for a while - until our recent abundance of receivers combined with a prolific passing game allowed his records to be broken.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Saw yesterday that Mac participated in a mini camp for the Pats and they were very impressed by what they saw out of him!

I hope he'll win the starting spot outright by the time the regular season rolls around. I think having the pre-season will be beneficial for him.

IIRC, in week two the Dolphins and Pats play. How cool would it be if Tua and Mac go head to head?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Saw yesterday that Mac participated in a mini camp for the Pats and they were very impressed by what they saw out of him!

I hope he'll win the starting spot outright by the time the regular season rolls around. I think having the pre-season will be beneficial for him.

IIRC, in week two the Dolphins and Pats play. How cool would it be if Tua and Mac go head to head?
He will get many chances vs Tua. I just hope he is starter week 4. Week 4 might be the biggest regular season game in NFL history. It would be cool if Mac was a starter in it.

Reactions: Con

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The NFL rule changes that protect the QB will really help Mac. Years ago, defenders would brutalize qbs with late hits. They would get fines and the owners would slip them the money. Doing that today would result in an owner being fined millions and losing draft picks. I think that if Chris Chandler was playing under the rules of today, he would have been a superstar but in the old NFL this very talented qb was beaten half to death.

The best thing about Mac is how fast he can look off of a receiver who isn't going to get open on a particular play and find one who will. This is the hard part of playing QB and I never saw anyone in college foortball better than Mac at doing this. In summary, I give MJ a VERY good chance to succeed in the NFL. There are just so many good things about this kid that make it likely for him to do so. He is VERY smart, accurate, hard working, and his arm is more than adequate.

I also have high hopes for Bryce Young. One little twitch in the A Game fooled a defender and gave him the second he needed to throw a perfect pass to the end zone.

As always, jmo.

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was living in NYC when this happened to Y.A. Tittle...Y. A. Tittle Football.jpg

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.