Bo Schembelcher and Michigan might have a Joe Pa like stain to their legacy

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
I find it interested that Glenn, Matt's brother, has already dispute this story. Neither Matt and Glenn have talked in a decade and that their family is frayed tells me Matt wanted to come out sooner but his family was trying to keep it buried.

• Sad
Reactions: seebell and B1GTide

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
I find it interested that Glenn, Matt's brother, has already dispute this story. Neither Matt and Glenn have talked in a decade and that their family is frayed tells me Matt wanted to come out sooner but his family was trying to keep it buried.
Ten years difference in age, maybe more in recollection...maybe Bo actually was mellowed and a different man by then, or maybe he was different for Glenn because he was biological.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Wow, here's a wild twist to this story:

[Larry] Nassar was sentenced two years ago to 40 to 175 years in prison for molesting some of the nation’s top gymnasts, including Denhollander, under the guise of medical treatment.

Nassar, a University of Michigan alumnus, worked as a trainer in the athletic department in the 1980s.
Nassar victim slams Michigan for response to doctor abuse

:oops:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Also take into account that Glenn is Bo’s only biological son.... But that really shouldn’t matter

Last edited:
Reactions: seebell and B1GTide

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It is weird that all of these horrible allegations are coming out about Big 10 schools in particular (UM, MSU, OSU, Penn State, Nebraska -- am I missing any?). I'm not sure how to interpret that. If this kind of thing was tolerated by the institutional cultures there it is hard to believe that it didn't also go on in other parts of the country. (So. Cal is the only non-Big 10 school I have heard about with such problems). Maybe the Big 10 has just been under more of a microscope? Or maybe there was something about the "nice guy" mindset of the midwest that made it easier for predators to get away with things? Neither of those theories sounds right to me, but I'm not sure what else to think.
It kinda makes you wonder if guys like Osborne looked the other way. We know for a fact that Osborne attempted to sweep most of Lawrence Phillips crimes under the rug. What’s to say he wasn’t capable of something else.

I think sometimes winning was really the only thing some coaches cared about.

Reactions: seebell

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I agree. But I’m deadly curious as to WHY Schembechler did nothing.

Even in the culture of the day, the standard move would have been a quiet re-assignment.

What benefit did Schembechler get from turning a blind eye? I can’t imagine.
Well I’ve read many biographies on coaches of that era, and they were very superstitious on who got to touch their players. Some believed that doctors would make them weak. Keep in mind while the greatest generation won the Second World War and survived the depression they also mostly rejected the medical science behind PTSD that their children endured during the Vietnam War. It’s more of a product of growing up tough. We should admire their sacrifice but we shouldn’t put them on a pedestal that ignores their faults.

But anyways it wasn’t uncommon for a coach to like a particular doctor back in those days. Remember CPB had a crazy trainer at Kentucky and aTm. There are a lot of ex Kentucky and aTm players who complained about his trainer (was it Smokey?) as being a jerk and told them to toughen up. Just about everyone of them had some goofball that was on the medical staff. It’s just that not everyone of them was knowingly running a molester operation through the medical staff.

IDK. All of this is still shocking

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Well I’ve read many biographies on coaches of that era, and they were very superstitious on who got to touch their players. Some believed that doctors would make them weak. Keep in mind while the greatest generation won the Second World War and survived the depression they also mostly rejected the medical science behind PTSD that their children endured during the Vietnam War. It’s more of a product of growing up tough. We should admire their sacrifice but we shouldn’t put them on a pedestal that ignores their faults.

But anyways it wasn’t uncommon for a coach to like a particular doctor back in those days. Remember CPB had a crazy trainer at Kentucky and aTm. There are a lot of ex Kentucky and aTm players who complained about his trainer (was it Smokey?) as being a jerk and told them to toughen up. Just about everyone of them had some goofball that was on the medical staff. It’s just that not everyone of them was knowingly running a molester operation through the medical staff.

IDK. All of this is still shocking
There was some trainer in the Junction Boys movie that was kind of nuts.

OSUTideFan

All-American
Dec 17, 2019
Indiana
Lack of institutional control. They should forfeit all of their wins for the last 60 years. The losses can be kept in place.

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
I agree. But I’m deadly curious as to WHY Schembechler did nothing.

Even in the culture of the day, the standard move would have been a quiet re-assignment.

What benefit did Schembechler get from turning a blind eye? I can’t imagine.
Sounds to me like the doctor knew something or had something on Bo that Bo was willing to go to great lengths to protect.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It is weird that all of these horrible allegations are coming out about Big 10 schools in particular (UM, MSU, OSU, Penn State, Nebraska -- am I missing any?). I'm not sure how to interpret that. If this kind of thing was tolerated by the institutional cultures there it is hard to believe that it didn't also go on in other parts of the country. (So. Cal is the only non-Big 10 school I have heard about with such problems). Maybe the Big 10 has just been under more of a microscope? Or maybe there was something about the "nice guy" mindset of the midwest that made it easier for predators to get away with things? Neither of those theories sounds right to me, but I'm not sure what else to think.
No, it's not limited to the Big Ten any more than in religion it was limited to the Catholic Church (as we are quickly finding out).

We had a cop in Mississippi who garnered a NATIONAL reputation as a crusader against drunk driving. Our military base would have this guy come out every year around Memorial Day or so to say, "I know y'all gonna drink but don't drink and drive" and give his horror stories mixed with comedic ones, the old emotional preachy kind of thing. One of my co-workers at the base - a civilian FWIW - didn't like that guy at all. When he and I talked, the co-worker told me that years earlier he had worked in a rural hospital in Middle of Nowhere, Mississippi, and this particular cop was there most every night hitting on nurses and trying to score with every late night female worker that he could. He also had learned from some other cops that this guy had stolen THEIR stories and weaved them into his personal narrative. (He'd tell stories about the people he had pulled in pieces out of cars and gulleys, etc). And this coworker wondered given how little police work he'd ever known the man to do - this from both cops and his own observation - when in hell did he have time for all these horrible finds that he was sharing?

Now that's all distasteful and typical of some things, but in and of itself doesn't necessarily injure any other person. I don't approve of it, but okay.

But then in 2004, he was staying one night at one of his hosts homes and the young girl reported his touching to her parents. They filed criminal charges against this guy - remember, a cop and a molester. It might not have gone any further until a parade of women (similar to the Bill Cosby thing) all came forward and said he'd done the same thing to them - and the earliest one reached back into the 1960s when this cop was in his 20s. He was convicted and lost his appeals and sentenced to Parchman.

He entered his cell on Friday. When they showed up to transport him on Sunday, he was hanging there dead.

Look, I guess we could all share those kinds of stories. I have a cousin who blew her father's brains out with a shotgun on Christmas Day 1971, placing a pillow over his face and pulling the trigger and then burning the pillow in a barrel. Local law enforcement covered it up after learning that he was the father of her child.

This is more pervasive than any of us realize at all levels.

Step one? Let's stop idolizing human beings.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
There was some trainer in the Junction Boys movie that was kind of nuts.
Yeah, but even Coach Stallings said, "I didn't even recognize who Smokey Harper was supposed to be."

Then again, maybe the author of that book is imposing his own story on Smokey. Dent has been arrested for ten DWIs through the years, jumped bail and tried to live on the proceeds of his Manziel book in Mexico, and faked his own death to avoid creditors.

So why should I trust anything that guy would say about anything?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yeah, but even Coach Stallings said, "I didn't even recognize who Smokey Harper was supposed to be."

Then again, maybe the author of that book is imposing his own story on Smokey. Dent has been arrested for ten DWIs through the years, jumped bail and tried to live on the proceeds of his Manziel book in Mexico, and faked his own death to avoid creditors.

So why should I trust anything that guy would say about anything?
I don’t think Smokey was a drunk that would drink in front of the players. Just reading and hearing stories about CPB I need a lot more convincing that he would allow it. I think Smokey probably was an oddball trainer that probably got the job on friendship and experience with CPB than qualification. But Dent has been a proven liar over and over.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don’t think Smokey was a drunk that would drink in front of the players. Just reading and hearing stories about CPB I need a lot more convincing that he would allow it. I think Smokey probably was an oddball trainer that probably got the job on friendship and experience with CPB than qualification. But Dent has been a proven liar over and over.
I saw Dent on ESPN once, and he was an arrogant little snit who INSISTED over and over that he had done his homework and HIS story was the right one. He was a typical looking Texas slickster, and I think he's actually from Arkansas.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I saw Dent on ESPN once, and he was an arrogant little snit who INSISTED over and over that he had done his homework and HIS story was the right one. He was a typical looking Texas slickster, and I think he's actually from Arkansas.
He comes across as a guy that hates Bryant. I think he took a few guys opinions of Bryant and took that as a majority of former players feeling that way.

But on the sports century documentary, and the interview with the “survivors” nearly everything he said was proven wrong.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
After the movie, I saw an interview with Coach Stallings. He said Smokey wasn’t as much of a drunk as the movie portrayed.
Yeah, I'm thinking Dent did that to make Smokey Harper a caricature of himself.

Berenger nailed Bryant in that role, though, far better than poor Gary Busey could.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.