Who is your Preseason Top 5

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Before Phil Steele comes out in a couple of weeks and everyone starts flooding social media after his magazine. What would be yours?

1) Alabama- To be the man you have to beat that man. I think Alabama is just too safe of a pick at this point. Will we hold it? I think we can and will be alot better on offense than what people think. Defense should be a force to be reckoned with.

2) Oklahoma- This is probably the best Oklahoma team we have seen in awhile, and I think they really may have one game to really be concerned about. ISU. Aside from that, you can pretty much bank on them waltzing to Dallas and getting into the playoff based on their schedule. But they dont call them Chokelahoma for no reason.

3) Georgia- Loaded with talent, but are handy capped by a coach that wants to win a national championship like teams did before 2013. At some point Kirby has to cash in on the promises he made or the natives in Athens are going to be beyond restless and not even talking about Herschel Walker will be able to calm them down.

4) Ohio St- Only because of talent and schedule. I really think they will probably go undefeated and end up at #3, but as far as preseason rankings go I think they are #4. Until the rest of the Big 10 can prove that they are closing the gap on Ohio St then aside from a game in Bloomington after a Bye week their schedule looks pretty easy. Oregon maybe interesting, but Oregon is still Oregon and Ohio St is still Ohio St. At the Horeshoe I give Oregon a quarter before its duck season again.

5) Clemson- I think this is the year that Dabo goes back to losing to the ACC again. Whoever loses the opening game between them and Georgia probably going to be hoping and praying that some teams lose. If Georgia wasnt on their schedule then I would have them at #4 instead of tOSU.

I think 2021 is probably both Oklahoma's and Georgia's last best chance to do something. But both programs find a way to get in their own way for some reason in a way that makes some baseball curses look harmless. Expect both to be trendy national championship picks. I think Oklahoma's road may get them a #2 seed. Georgia I just wonder if they can seal the deal after 40 years. They might choke against both Clemson and Florida.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I would swap out GA with FL, and put them in 4th. Going into the season, I think they are the better team. I am not sure that FL can win the SECe because they have Alabama on their schedule this year, but we will see. I agree with your other schools in the order presented.

Reactions: Bazza and 81usaf92

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think this might be OU's best team in years - I'd likely swap #1 and #2 until we see them in action. OU is bringing back a LOT of experienced talent and their defense was decidedly better in 2020 than in previous years.
I agree - on paper they are the best team in football. But Saban has me put Alabama at #1 going into every season. He is the biggest difference maker in the history of the game.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I would swap out GA with FL, and put them in 4th. Going into the season, I think they are the better team. I am not sure that FL can win the SECe because they have Alabama on their schedule this year, but we will see. I agree with your other schools in the order presented.
Florida is a 3 loss team this year, maybe 4. They lost way too much and Mullen doesn’t recruit. And I don’t mean to say “Mullen isn’t an elite recruiter”. I mean “Mullen doesn’t recruit, period.” They also play Kentucky and LSU on the road.

UGA is going to dominate the East this year.

Reactions: CraigD

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I think this might be OU's best team in years - I'd likely swap #1 and #2 until we see them in action. OU is bringing back a LOT of experienced talent and their defense was decidedly better in 2020 than in previous years.
Plus they keep adding people via the transfer portal.

Edit: the portal is already getting out of hand. The elite programs are using it to further distance themselves from the “have nots”. Fine by me, I couldn’t care less about those teams, but you know they aren’t going to stand there and take it. Soon we’ll see some type of rule that limits the amount of transfers a team can take. All because of “fairness”...

Last edited:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
1) OU
2) Bama
3) UGA
4) tOSU
5) Karen

Oklahoma may not be the best team, but they have the easiest schedule of the top 4 (by far). I’m not as high on Spencer Rattler as most other people, but it doesn’t matter. That joke of a conference doesn’t play defense and he will probably win the Heisman.

I have Bama at #2 because of our proven ability to reload, regardless of who we lose each year. I don’t like being #1 to start the season anyway, so let OU deal with that.

UGA has recruited better than any program in the country not named Alabama. If Saban started coaching there in 2016 and had the exact same players Kirby does, he’d have at least two titles. This might be the year they put it all together though. They have plugged every hole with elite talent via the transfer portal.

Ohio State has as much talent as anyone and a really good (but not elite) head coach. Given how much of a dumpster fire the B1G is, that might be enough to win it all.

Reactions: seebell and UAllday

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I'd probably agree with OU at 1 simply because we haven't seen Bryce and Co yet. Rattler is good and if he can learn to step up in the pocket more he'll be very good.

I'd put Ohio State over Georgia. I know Georgia is going to be good(insanely talented) but i trust Ohio States offense more than Georgia's.

Clemson at 5 seems right. Their QB will put up numbers but I'm not convinced he has the deep ball yet. We'll see

Last edited:

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Before Phil Steele comes out in a couple of weeks and everyone starts flooding social media after his magazine. What would be yours?

1) Alabama- To be the man you have to beat that man. I think Alabama is just too safe of a pick at this point. Will we hold it? I think we can and will be alot better on offense than what people think. Defense should be a force to be reckoned with.

2) Oklahoma- This is probably the best Oklahoma team we have seen in awhile, and I think they really may have one game to really be concerned about. ISU. Aside from that, you can pretty much bank on them waltzing to Dallas and getting into the playoff based on their schedule. But they dont call them Chokelahoma for no reason.

3) Georgia- Loaded with talent, but are handy capped by a coach that wants to win a national championship like teams did before 2013. At some point Kirby has to cash in on the promises he made or the natives in Athens are going to be beyond restless and not even talking about Herschel Walker will be able to calm them down.

4) Ohio St- Only because of talent and schedule. I really think they will probably go undefeated and end up at #3, but as far as preseason rankings go I think they are #4. Until the rest of the Big 10 can prove that they are closing the gap on Ohio St then aside from a game in Bloomington after a Bye week their schedule looks pretty easy. Oregon maybe interesting, but Oregon is still Oregon and Ohio St is still Ohio St. At the Horeshoe I give Oregon a quarter before its duck season again.

5) Clemson- I think this is the year that Dabo goes back to losing to the ACC again. Whoever loses the opening game between them and Georgia probably going to be hoping and praying that some teams lose. If Georgia wasnt on their schedule then I would have them at #4 instead of tOSU.

I think 2021 is probably both Oklahoma's and Georgia's last best chance to do something. But both programs find a way to get in their own way for some reason in a way that makes some baseball curses look harmless. Expect both to be trendy national championship picks. I think Oklahoma's road may get them a #2 seed. Georgia I just wonder if they can seal the deal after 40 years. They might choke against both Clemson and Florida.
Rattler will choke and lose OU a game all by himself before Halloween.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Is this what you and @selmaborntidefan have to deal with when OU and Texas meet in Dallas once a year. Because I got Boomer Soonered to hell living in Nebraska when they came up north to beat the Shuckers.

OU fans FOR THE MOST PART are really great fans. Hell, they themselves would admit their 2018 defense was like year-old fly paper. There are the same exceptions you find everywhere - the occasional nut who you swear took too many body slams and chair shots to the head during their days as a preliminary wrestler (and who were never clued in to the fact wrassling was fake, they just thought they were really getting their asses kicked).

OU fans GENERALLY are very good. I think what you saw was probably a counter-Nebraska tactic.

Texas fans, well, imagine Ole Miss fans with money who think they can buy everything, and that's Texas.

Reactions: 81usaf92

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Might as well make it top 12 since that is today's flavor:

1) BAMA
2) Clempson
3) Sooners
4) UGA
5) OSU
6) Aggies
7) Tarheels
8) Trojans
9) Hawkeyes
10) Oregon
11) Domers
12) Washington

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
1) Oklahoma. I put them here because of returning talent and ease of schedule. I’m sure they lose the first round of playoffs, but at least pre season wise I Have to give them this

2) Alabama. Loss of talent to the draft and coaching changes. Saban has proven however that he always reloads and never has to rebuild.

3) Clemson. Arguably one of the best defensive lines in the country. Dabo has proven he will compete at the top. Will Ross return to play? Ross could be a make a break for Clemson in my opinion

4) Ohio state. Day has done a good job so far, eager to see how he does this year after losing so much talent.

5) Georgia. Returning talent puts Georgia higher than this, but past results put Georgia here.

Reactions: The Ols

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
OU fans FOR THE MOST PART are really great fans. Hell, they themselves would admit their 2018 defense was like year-old fly paper. There are the same exceptions you find everywhere - the occasional nut who you swear took too many body slams and chair shots to the head during their days as a preliminary wrestler (and who were never clued in to the fact wrassling was fake, they just thought they were really getting their asses kicked).

OU fans GENERALLY are very good. I think what you saw was probably a counter-Nebraska tactic.

Texas fans, well, imagine Ole Miss fans with money who think they can buy everything, and that's Texas.
Generally I have had no problems with them. Boomer Sooner is one of the most annoying fight songs known to man, but other than the constant complaining about Alabama fans not telling them that they are the best because of the sugar bowl in 2014 no complaints. I guess I got boomer soonered because 1) I was in Nebraska and 2) It’s difficult to tell who is who when everyone is wearing red.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.