Climate News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
(Reuters) - Despite a massive reduction in commuting and in many commercial activities during the early months of the pandemic, the amount of carbon in Earth's atmosphere in May reached its highest level in modern history, a global indicator released on Monday showed.

Scientists from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the Scripps Institution of Oceanography at the University of California San Diego, said the findings, based on the amount of carbon dioxide in the air at NOAA's weather station on Mauna Loa in Hawaii, was the highest since measurements began 63 years ago.

The measurement, called the Keeling Curve after Charles David Keeling, the scientist who began tracking carbon dioxide there in 1958, is a global benchmark for atmospheric carbon levels.

Instruments perched on NOAA's mountaintop observatory recorded carbon dioxide at about 419 parts per million last month, more than the 417 parts per million in May 2020.
Carbon dioxide in the air at highest level since measurements began (msn.com)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
just in time

The Badwater Ultramarathon describes itself as "the world's toughest foot race".[1] It is a 135-mile (217 km) course starting at 282 feet (86 m)[2] below sea level in the Badwater Basin, in California's Death Valley, and ending at an elevation of 8360 feet (2548 m) at Whitney Portal, the trailhead to Mount Whitney. It takes place annually in mid-July, when the weather conditions are most extreme and temperatures can reach 130 °F (54 °C). Consequently, very few people—even among ultramarathoners—are capable of finishing the race.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We had days bumping 100 this week. Similar to 2011, which is our single-year drought of record, where we had extreme heat in June.
On Monte Sano, the high was 80 today. 80s in the valley are forecast all next week, so we'll be in the 70s up here, very unusual for this time of year. I'd appreciate your keeping your blast furnace down there... :)

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
On Monte Sano, the high was 80 today. 80s in the valley are forecast all next week, so we'll be in the 70s up here, very unusual for this time of year. I'd appreciate your keeping your blast furnace down there... :)
The occasional cold snap aside, we have two seasons here - this summer, and last summer.

• Love
Reactions: B1GTide

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The occasional cold snap aside, we have two seasons here - this summer, and last summer.
We touched 90 once last summer here on the mountaintop. We're 1000' higher than the valley, but the real secret is that we're surrounded by thousands of acres of protected trees. Here's a link. The green area around the neighborhood on top is state park, Land Trust and Forever Wild. My house is the yellow balloon...

Google

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
We touched 90 once last summer here on the mountaintop. We're 1000' higher than the valley, but the real secret is that we're surrounded by thousands of acres of protected trees. Here's a link. The green area around the neighborhood on top is state park, Land Trust and Forever Wild. My house is the yellow balloon...

Google
that's a great forest, i miss running there

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
that's a great forest, i miss running there
Unfortunately, the developed part has changed a lot since you here last. Every single vacant lot has been built on and they've started tearing down older houses to build McMansions. There is a development on Monte Sano Blvd now with huge houses on postage stamp lots. With every house, more trees are cut down and it gets a little warmer. The trees are the real reason it's so much cooler up here. I'm sure when we sell our three acres of woods, the buyer(s) will tear down this house and slice the real estate up, cutting down most of the trees...

• Sad
Reactions: 92tide and UAH

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Unfortunately, the developed part has changed a lot since you here last. Every single vacant lot has been built on and they've started tearing down older houses to build McMansions. There is a development on Monte Sano Blvd now with huge houses on postage stamp lots. With every house, more trees are cut down and it gets a little warmer. The trees are the real reason it's so much cooler up here. I'm sure when we sell our three acres of woods, the buyer(s) will tear down this house and slice the real estate up, cutting down most of the trees...
sorry to hear that. i really hate mcmansions.

the land trust folks always manned a couple of the aid stations and helped out a lot with the race, they are great folks.

Reactions: crimsonaudio
Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.