Josh Primo also testing NBA waters - UPDATE he's officially going pro (Spurs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
While both Primo and Shack will be ready, neither is today.

I expect both back for next season. We are going to be highly talented next year.
Welp …. Whiffed on that next-to-last sentence. Still think we’ll be highly talented, but we’ll miss Primo especially.

I still don’t think either is consistent enough to be successful short term in the NBA. But it’s clear that neither will be back in Tuscaloosa.

Best of luck to both.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
From the espn article about him turning pro ...

Primo said he didn't come into this season expecting it to be his lone year at Alabama but that the possibility of being a first-round pick and going to a playoff team was one he couldn't turn down.

"As a kid, you always see the one-and-dones -- Andrew Wiggins, guys like that. But enrolling as a freshman at Alabama, I had the idea of going for two years and really trying to go for the NBA then," he said. "I told Coach Oats that, but once I communicated with him during this draft process and showed him what I was doing on my side, he was really supportive about everything. It was a difficult decision in the beginning with everyone saying I could be a lottery pick next year."
--- Espn.com

Reactions: TideEngineer08

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I'm happy for Josh that apparently things are going his way but unhappy that we're losing a player of his caliber for next season. Unfortunately this what it is like when you start recruiting and signing higher caliber players, you run the risk of them not being in the program very long.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It's no different than a junior or 3 year sophomore testing the NFL waters and getting a good grade back and then decided to go on in the draft. They're really not ready except in rare cases... but the NFL thinks their potential is worth it.

So it is here with the NBA. It just sucks for the colleges that it is possible after just one season. But for the guys that do end up getting drafted in that 1st round, it's good for them. Not so much for the guys that do decide to go on and go undrafted, though.

Reactions: BAMAVILLE

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
Welp …. Whiffed on that next-to-last sentence. Still think we’ll be highly talented, but we’ll miss Primo especially.

I still don’t think either is consistent enough to be successful short term in the NBA. But it’s clear that neither will be back in Tuscaloosa.

Best of luck to both.
I've read Primo excelled at the combine which have teams looking at him

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I haven't looked at the roster recently but if my memory is correct we had to lose 1 player to be at 13 for the next season. It appears we're losing 2 with Primo staying in the draft and Shack in the transfer portal. Assuming Shack does indeed transfer do we go after a grad transfer to fill the last scholly? It may be even more important to fill that scholly given that Rojas could be most, perhaps all, of the season with an injury.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Well, I'm just bad at these predictions. In my mind, the NBA draft should be about what you've proven rather than potential.

I'm not saying Primo will be a bust (I hope he succeeds) but the NBA drafting on potential over substance is going to lead to a lot more draft busts.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I wish him luck. It does not matter what I think but I think this is a mistake. Another year of college would have been big for him in my opinion.
If he stayed there's a greater chance of him being a lottery pick. But right now it's looking like he will receive first round money and have the chance to grow while being a part of a playoff caliber team, that's not a bad spot to be in as well. Now if he drops to the middle of the second round then it would have been a tough move unfortunately. We will see though. The word is several lottery teams are now looking at him as well, but all of it is a crap shoot until we see exactly how teams pick.

Reactions: seebell

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Watched Tider Insider last night and they indicated that he was the best prospect on the floor of the combine. Love Josh but go get the money bro! Anyone not disappointed in his leaving is not a true Tide fan but I tell you what...Nate Oats is the program not any individual player. You guys see his recruiting lately? You guys see the non-conference schedule dude is putting together for us next season? Bama Hoops is about to be at the next level.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Watched Tider Insider last night and they indicated that he was the best prospect on the floor of the combine. Love Josh but go get the money bro! Anyone not disappointed in his leaving is not a true Tide fan but I tell you what...Nate Oats is the program not any individual player. You guys see his recruiting lately? You guys see the non-conference schedule dude is putting together for us next season? Bama Hoops is about to be at the next level.
When Josh was on he stood out on the court and it was obvious. He is young, shoots 3's, proved he can take it to the basket and has a great NBA body already. It will take him a year or two to get his feet wet but I will not be surprised to see him in All-star games in the future. Good luck to Josh!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If he stayed there's a greater chance of him being a lottery pick. But right now it's looking like he will receive first round money and have the chance to grow while being a part of a playoff caliber team, that's not a bad spot to be in as well. Now if he drops to the middle of the second round then it would have been a tough move unfortunately. We will see though. The word is several lottery teams are now looking at him as well, but all of it is a crap shoot until we see exactly how teams pick.
I guess I could never relate. I mean if some NBA experts told me I could be an instant millionaire next season it would be hard to come back to play in college. But, the opposite side is if he held off and had a huge Soph. season his contract could be worth millions more. OR, he has a soph. slump and he's not as valuable next season as right now. So who knows?

I guess it's a good problem to be in, huh?

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
I guess I could never relate. I mean if some NBA experts told me I could be an instant millionaire next season it would be hard to come back to play in college. But, the opposite side is if he held off and had a huge Soph. season his contract could be worth millions more. OR, he has a soph. slump and he's not as valuable next season as right now. So who knows?

I guess it's a good problem to be in, huh?
i'll always be reminded of Chris Porter in those type situations. You just never know. Sometimes you gotta take the money.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
That knee injury may have scared him just enough to leave early.

he’s insanely smooth. Go back and watch that LSU game. Selfishly I wanted him and Shack back. But. He’s more than ready.

Reactions: dayhiker

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
i'll always be reminded of Chris Porter in those type situations. You just never know. Sometimes you gotta take the money.
Yeah. He was undersized for an NBA 4 at the time and came back to try and improve his one big weakness, outside shooting. It ended up tanking his stock. He did carve out a nice career overseas though. And that's not even getting into the legal trouble.

Sometimes it is a smart move to take the bird in hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.