2022 Recruiting: 5* QB Ty Simpson

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
All I can say is our QB recruiting has gone thru the roof in the last few years.

I think it took a little longer at the QB position for us to become a destination school for the most talented, but the proof is in the pudding now. CNS gets QBs in the league and they get to play for the best college program in the country and almost have a guarantee to play for multiple NCs as they pave their way to the NFL draft.
Changing the style of the offense and bringing in Kiffin changed everything at the QB and WR positions.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
The writeup on him is good but they evidently thought 7 guys were better over the time period. Clearly does not mean much but it is interesting to see how he fared against other guys with similar rankings/talent.

How many were listed ahead of Mac Jones? He has the physical talent and the mind...now it is coaching and development.

Reactions: seebell

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
All I can say is our QB recruiting has gone thru the roof in the last few years.

I think it took a little longer at the QB position for us to become a destination school for the most talented, but the proof is in the pudding now. CNS gets QBs in the league and they get to play for the best college program in the country and almost have a guarantee to play for multiple NCs as they pave their way to the NFL draft.
This isn't the current topic of this discussion but this kid Jalen Milroe 6'2" 201 with a 4.67- 40 and 4.38 short shuttle time out of high school looks a lot like a Jalen Hurts only with the ability out of high school to spin it. Has anyone heard anything to point to saying this guy will not be a strong candidate for starter in 2022.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
This isn't the current topic of this discussion but this kid Jalen Milroe 6'2" 201 with a 4.67- 40 and 4.38 short shuttle time out of high school looks a lot like a Jalen Hurts only with the ability out of high school to spin it. Has anyone heard anything to point to saying this guy will not be a strong candidate for starter in 2022.
From all I've heard -- even CNS -- this guy is the real deal. If he continues to progress -- and BY doesn't for some unknown reason -- we could have another situation as with JH and TT.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I'll just say that I have heard he is the most talented QB on the roster. We'll see how it plays out.

Reactions: UAH

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I'll just say that I have heard he is the most talented QB on the roster. We'll see how it plays out.

If true, that is good news. We need 2 really good QB's on the roster in case Bryce gets hurt. Hopefully, Jalen will learn the playbook, etc and do whatever he needs to do to become a better passer. The main thing is to keep the 3 QB and hope nobody transfers. Then, when Ty Simpson comes next year, let there be competition again. He is good, but I imagine he will need a year to adapt, etc. RTR

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Repeatedly over history, the fan favorite is the 2nd string QB.

Very occasionally (Tua in the second half of 2017), that faith is justified. Most often, when we finally see the 2nd string guy in something other than mop-up time, we come to understand why he’s 2nd string.

Milroe has great talent. I seriously doubt that he has the ability to read defenses, change plays, make clutch throws under pressure, and inspire true confidence…..yet. Sentiments coming from people who have a history of accurate information indicate that he’ll get there. But give the guy a break…he was playing HS ball last year.

I’m reminded of this time last year when many were convinced that Bryce Young could be starting by the end of fall camp, and it was a foregone conclusion that Mac would be riding the pine by mid-season. Talk about something that didn’t age well.

Barring injury, I fully expect Bryce Young to be the unquestioned starter through the season. Saban‘s history is that he doesn’t play QB2 much beyond mop-up time, and I think that’s primarily to preserve the health of QB1, and only secondarily to give reps to QB2.

Put it this way….if Milroe becomes the starter, there’s a problem. Either Young got hurt, or he performed so badly that there was no choice but to replace him with a true freshman (Blake Barnett in 2016). Let’s hope Young remains in the driver’s seat.

Last edited:

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017

Very occasionally (Tua in the second half of 2017), that faith is justified. Most often, when we finally see the 2nd string guy in something other than mop-up time, we come to understand why he’s 2nd string.

Milroe has great talent. I seriously doubt that he has the ability to read defenses, change plays, make clutch throws under pressure, and inspire true confidence…..yet. Sentiments coming from people who have a history of accurate information indicate that he’ll get there. But give the guy a break…he was playing HS ball last year.

I’m reminded of this time last year when many were convinced that Bryce Young could be starting by the end of fall camp, and it was a foregone conclusion that Mac would be riding the pine by mid-season. Talk about something that didn’t age well.

Barring injury, I fully expect Bryce Young to be the unquestioned starter through the season. Saban‘s history is that he doesn’t play QB2 much beyond mop-up time, and I think that’s primarily to preserve the health of QB1, and only secondarily to give reps to QB2.

Put it this way….if Milroe becomes the starter, there’s a problem. Either Young got hurt, or he performed so badly that there was no choice but to replace him with a true freshman (Blake Barnett in 2016). Let’s hope Young remains in the driver’s seat.
I'm sure it is frustrating to ride the pine when you've been the man your whole football life, but you gotta stay sharp, history has showed us that you're just a twisted ankle away from playing.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

It constantly amazes me that there are still fans out there that think they know more than Nick Saban.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
From all I've heard -- even CNS -- this guy is the real deal. If he continues to progress -- and BY doesn't for some unknown reason -- we could have another situation as with JH and TT.
Most of us were impressed with BY in the spring game. Pleasantly so I think.

The question was... With Milroe's obvious athleticism would he be a candidate to start in 2022? BY is listed with 4.5 40 time and very close to Milroe's numbers except height 5'11" vs. 6'2". BY had a great spring and is the obvious starter this fall unless injured. In 2022 it could prove to be difficult to keep three highly recruited QB's and Paul Tyson on the roster as BY moves to his junior year. The wait and see is who plays behind BY this fall.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Most of us were impressed with BY in the spring game. Pleasantly so I think.

The question was... With Milroe's obvious athleticism would he be a candidate to start in 2022? BY is listed with 4.5 40 time and very close to Milroe's numbers except height 5'11" vs. 6'2". BY had a great spring and is the obvious starter this fall unless injured. In 2022 it could prove to be difficult to keep three highly recruited QB's and Paul Tyson on the roster as BY moves to his junior year. The wait and see is who plays behind BY this fall.
I would say it would be an uphill climb for Milroe to unseat a healthy incumbent starter. Not impossible, but not likely.

Given the end of the NCG against Georgia, it’s easy to forget that Tua had to unseat Jalen Hurts in pre-season camp the following August. Even that took a combination of generational talent from Tua, weakness in Hurts’ passing game, and near-revolt amongst the WR corps.

JMO, but I think Milroe’s best chance of unseating a healthy Bryce Young would be that (1) his (Young’s) height catches up with him, and he either can’t see to make the needed throws, or a slew of passes get batted at the line, and (2) Milroe’s intangibles simultaneously make a great leap forward.

Bets off if Young isn’t healthy.

There are ways to address lack of height, but they’re admittedly work-arounds. Even more so than speed, you just can’t coach height.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I would say it would be an uphill climb for Milroe to unseat a healthy incumbent starter. Not impossible, but not likely.

Given the end of the NCG against Georgia, it’s easy to forget that Tua had to unseat Jalen Hurts in pre-season camp the following August. Even that took a combination of generational talent from Tua, weakness in Hurts’ passing game, and near-revolt amongst the WR corps.

JMO, but I think Milroe’s best chance of unseating a healthy Bryce Young would be that (1) his (Young’s) height catches up with him, and he either can’t see to make the needed throws, or a slew of passes get batted at the line, and (2) Milroe’s intangibles simultaneously make a great leap forward.

Bets off if Young isn’t healthy.

There are ways to address lack of height, but they’re admittedly work-arounds. Even more so than speed, you just can’t coach height.
Georgia's QB last year comes to mind...had a bunch of balls batted down in games (and several in the Bama game), but as I recall, BY didn't seem to have a problem in the A-day game with vision or getting balls batted down. And Drew Brees has had a very long career in the NFL as a shorter QB.

I think height helps, but ultimately is about vision. Most all QBs aren't taller than the OL average. Maybe Tom Brady and a few guys like that, but most are shorter than the OL's average height. I don't know if I remember a Bama starter QB in recent years that was probably taller than the average height of the OL. Maybe AJ or Jake Coker are the only two that would be even close.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Georgia's QB last year comes to mind...had a bunch of balls batted down in games (and several in the Bama game), but as I recall, BY didn't seem to have a problem in the A-day game with vision or getting balls batted down. And Drew Brees has had a very long career in the NFL as a shorter QB.

I think height helps, but ultimately is about vision. Most all QBs aren't taller than the OL average. Maybe Tom Brady and a few guys like that, but most are shorter than the OL's average height. I don't know if I remember a Bama starter QB in recent years that was probably taller than the average height of the OL. Maybe AJ or Jake Coker are the only two that would be even close.
You’re right, it’s about release point as well with these shorter guys.

Reactions: The Ols

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001

I'm not sure BY is that much shorter than TT...if you measure from the actual top of his head and not the top of his hair!!! LOL.

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
I'm sure it is frustrating to ride the pine when you've been the man your whole football life, but you gotta stay sharp, history has showed us that you're just a twisted ankle away from playing.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm not sure BY is that much shorter than TT...if you measure from the actual top of his head and not the top of his hair!!! LOL.
IIRC, we listed Tua at 6'1" and have listed BY at maybe 6'. Sometimes they stretch those, and seems like the ESPN guys this spring said they thought BY was closer to 5'10".

As a side note, I always thought it was funny when our local paper did a preview of all the county's basketball teams going into my senior year and our coach listed my height at 5'10" when I'm 6'2". I think he did it as a joke.

• Haha
Reactions: Padreruf and Con

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
IIRC, we listed Tua at 6'1" and have listed BY at maybe 6'. Sometimes they stretch those, and seems like the ESPN guys this spring said they thought BY was closer to 5'10".

As a side note, I always thought it was funny when our local paper did a preview of all the county's basketball teams going into my senior year and our coach listed my height at 5'10" when I'm 6'2". I think he did it as a joke.
Just checked the 2021 roster on rolltide.com, and Young is listed there at 6’.

I’ve never been close enough to him to have any first-hand estimate, but looking at him in comparison to other shorter players, I’d go with somewhere between 5’9.5” and 5’10.5”.

As others have said, Drew Brees was listed on the 2020 Saints roster at 6’, and pretty much nobody believed he is taller than 5’10”.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.