CONCACAF Gold Cup

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Gold Cup kicks off tonight with Mexico taking on Trinidad and Tobago. We play Haiti tomorrow.

As expected, this will be an "audition" tournament for a lot of our guys. GGG is going to use it to build depth and experiment. Still we should expect to be finalists. We already have some silverware this year so I won't be heartbroken if we finish 2nd to Mexico.

Alphonso Davies for Canada got hurt and will return to Bayern Munich. That sucks. Love watching him play. Probably a good move to have him healthy for WCQ rather than burn him during the Gold Cup. Canada has more to play for than a regional B level tournament now.

OakMtn4Bama

All-American
Jan 10, 2007
Trussville
We need to finish second at least. I think playing the scrubs is almost mandatory. We need depth that is experienced. Whatever players we play should have a shot at second. Be fun to watch.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
We need to finish second at least. I think playing the scrubs is almost mandatory. We need depth that is experienced. Whatever players we play should have a shot at second. Be fun to watch.
I'm happy we're going to cap tie Busio. Think he's going to be the guy that will push Tyler Adams at 6. I expect Dike to go hog wild at 9 against CONCACAF teams.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Looking forward to seeing Berhalter's approach to the Gold Cup. I understand the need for experimentation but I do get tired of seeing guys playing out of position and it ending up costing us goals.

Also, we're making plans to go to the World Cup qualifier against Canada in Nashville. It's as close to us as the MNT will be in the foreseeable future.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Looking forward to seeing Berhalter's approach to the Gold Cup. I understand the need for experimentation but I do get tired of seeing guys playing out of position and it ending up costing us goals.

Also, we're making plans to go to the World Cup qualifier against Canada in Nashville. It's as close to us as the MNT will be in the foreseeable future.
Biggest complaint is GGG didn't bring any wings. He's planning to experiment with Hoppe and a few others there. Maybe it pans out.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
A slang verb meaning to jack something up.

If anyone is upset we didn't bring an A squad like Mexico did to this tournament, last night spelled out why. Chucky Lozano took a really bad knock.

What a bad draw for Mexico. Ref was bad, yeah, but Mexico owned 82%(!) of the possession and couldn't break T&T's defense. I think they still escape the group handily but Mexico fans are going to be furious at Tata and any more setbacks like this likely cost him his job.

Speaking of their fans, they're still playing stupid games. Ref stopped the game twice for "PUTO!" and I doubt they have a true home game in WCQ at this point. FIFA may very well dock points. Imagine missing the World Cup Final because your fans are absolute morons.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Mexico will find no sympathy here. 81% possession, 30 shots, zero goals - couldn't happen to a more deserving team and fanbase. Failing to advance would serve them right. I don't think FIFA has the guts to dock them points.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.