Biden to pull the US out of Afghanistan (Afghan Government has Fallen)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The outcome would have been the same if we had stayed 20 more years...and yet our "distinguished" Senator Lindsay Graham blasts President Biden over the withdrawal. Evidently the lives of our soldiers are expendable...
I'm afraid there is going to be a lot of that as the situation in Afghanistan deteriorates further. It's just how politics are done these days unfortunately.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: UAH and Padreruf

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
They had 20 years to prepare for this!
I am reminded of the scene from the film Fletch in which Chevy Chase is describing the sudden demise of some third-party. The doctor he's talking to says, "What are you talking about. He was dying for years. He died of cancer." Chevy Chase responds "Yes but the very very end was so sudden."

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
WASHINGTON—When President Biden this spring announced the decision to withdraw U.S. forces from Afghanistan, his administration expected the Afghan military to defend key cities and perhaps battle the Taliban to a stalemate.

Before the current Taliban offensive, U.S. officials said they didn’t expect the takeover of any provincial capital until fall at the earliest.

Instead, a carefully planned strategy carried out by the Taliban has produced swift battlefield advances, allowing insurgents to seize a succession of provincial capitals since Friday. Three more fell Tuesday, bringing the total to nine, including several major cities.
The latest U.S. intelligence assessment said Kabul could fall to militants in as soon as a month, officials said. U.S. officials now worry that Afghan civilians, soldiers and others will flee the city ahead of a Taliban assault.

• Wow
Reactions: seebell

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Im surprised that they are surprised. We have been fighting these guys for 20 years. That the Taliban would have a carefully planned strategy to take Afghanistan back should have been a given.

Reactions: B1GTide

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Good article in a highly respected journal...
Great article. Worth reading every word. The only problem I had with it is the author might have been too critical of the decision makers during the early part of the wars. Those decisions were vastly different from what I would have made ( I would have kicked their arse and left them to pickup the pieces) but I can see why they did what they did. Hindsight is 20/20. At least I hope the leaders of the future can look at the mistakes that were made and learn from them.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
You can give another people all the military hardware and software you have -- save nuclear weaponry -- and it will not matter a bit if they do not have the will to win. Just get our Americans and those who helped us out of there and let them go back to being a 14th century country -- that's what they want, anyway.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
It could be Saigon all over again...
It will be. Its a rush to get our people out.
This will come back to bite the Dems in 22 and 24. The narative was that it was a 20 year war. It wasn't. For the last few years its been basically a period of stasis. I believe its been over a year with no US combat deaths. I'm not sure what the recent financial cost was but the return on investment was probably good. I understand the feeling that this could go on forever and it probably would have but it may have been an investment worth maintaining considering the downside costs.

Reactions: major tidefan

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Time to close the Embassy

Reactions: 92tide and B1GTide
Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.