BREAKING Bryce Young NIL's "near seven figures" says Saban

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Rolling (in the dough) ! I’ll still watch Bama but my enthusiasm is waning. I’ll be interested in seeing an end of the year review stating who made out and who made squat.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
C’mon man…Jason Smith isn’t just a weatherMAN…he’s also a heck-of-a fisherMAN ;)
I'm old school. I'm partial to John Edd but I'm biased. He told me his q-rating was in the 80s in Mobile, which actually why I brought up weathermen, haha.

I imagine a lot of middling football programs have guys that top out with q ratings in the 20s or something, if that.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
We can all help out with NIL compensation, just get all your family and friends to follow current Bama players on social media. Even if theyare not active on it!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Have any players hired a CPA to do their taxes yet? Will states that have State Income Taxes be hurt in this NIL thing? I was thinking California, etc.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
We can all help out with NIL compensation, just get all your family and friends to follow current Bama players on social media. Even if theyare not active on it!
Technically we can help out a lot more than that (though yes support on social media does help the player's reputation).

Now with the way things work, if for instance we decide we need a new place kicker we can literally just start a gofundme or what ever. You just raise X amount of dollars, state your intent to create a company to sponsor the next starting kicker at Alabama and that's all there is to it.

Reactions: dtgreg

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Technically we can help out a lot more than that (though yes support on social media does help the player's reputation).

Now with the way things work, if for instance we decide we need a new place kicker we can literally just start a gofundme or what ever. You just raise X amount of dollars, state your intent to create a company to sponsor the next starting kicker at Alabama and that's all there is to it.
Please don’t do that. Because I’ve seen too many “best kickers in the country” come into Tuscaloosa and become the worst kicker in the nation. Reichard is the first since Tiffin that has had any consistency of getting points. My point is that it would be a total waste of money 9/19 times.;)

Spend it on Linebackers and QBs.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Please don’t do that. Because I’ve seen too many “best kickers in the country” come into Tuscaloosa and become the worst kicker in the nation. Reichard is the first since Tiffin that has had any consistency of getting points. My point is that it would be a total waste of money 9/19 times.;)

Can never have too many LBs. We ought to know…

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
It's probably been mentioned somewhere, but the players who are making really good coin in college have less reason to go early to the NFL. For instance, my guess is Tua would have stayed if he was making 7 figures in college.

This changes the dynamic for star players, in interesting ways. They may be more likely to stay for their senior year, and yet their backups might stay put also, if they are also making good money. This is most likely to happen at the top-10 or top-5 programs. Our backup QB may make more money at Bama than as starter at USF.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
In theory, yes, though I'm sure we both agree it's on a case-by-case basis.

These boys think girls were chasing them to get knocked up BEFORE......
My point is this - it's in the university's best interest to handle this. Outside of legal issues, the NFL doesn't care.

Add to that Saban will without question use the 'financial management' discussion to the recruiting process and we have a winner...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Well I do want to clarify I wasn't taking a shot at Reichard. He's awesome.

Reactions: OSUTideFan

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It's probably been mentioned somewhere, but the players who are making really good coin in college have less reason to go early to the NFL. For instance, my guess is Tua would have stayed if he was making 7 figures in college.

This changes the dynamic for star players, in interesting ways. They may be more likely to stay for their senior year, and yet their backups might stay put also, if they are also making good money. This is most likely to happen at the top-10 or top-5 programs. Our backup QB may make more money at Bama than as starter at USF.
Tua was gone the second he got injured vs MSU. I know HE probably wanted to come back but he more than likely wasn’t making the decision.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Have any players hired a CPA to do their taxes yet? Will states that have State Income Taxes be hurt in this NIL thing? I was thinking California, etc.
Florida, Texas, and Tennessee have no state income tax. Maybe if this hurts recruiting Alabama will eliminate it.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I think the real question is when do some players start trying to refuse to leave college? The concept of college amateurism includes the notion of a student who hasn't started their profession yet. You can keep going to college, my wife is a professional working on her masters at Alabama. Alabama players have turned pro, gone to the NFL and then returned to finish their degree at Alabama. Why would eligibility for a de-facto pro athlete be limited to four years of playing? Furthermore why couldn't someone who had a failed NFL career just return to college if he still had eligibility left?

Look at Blake Sims. He's finally back on a pro team, but he certainly would have made more in NIL deals as a star quarterback in a Power 5 conference.

So, while the next thing seems to be the NCAA relaxing what colleges can do for players (in terms of things they provide and I hope removal of some of the arbitrary scholarship and coach limitation), we might end up questioning the basic premise of a student-athlete. Should they have to go to school if their paying job is football? Should they have to stop playing after a few years if it's how they make their living? Not everyone can go to the NFL...
Players will look at going thru the Portal a little differently. If that player can make more money from endorsements at Alabama than at some other school.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Phillip Doyle (in particular) and Michael Proctor would like a word with you.

:)

Reactions: BamaNation

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
  • Thank You
Reactions: TideEngineer08

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.