BREAKING Sec additions–Texas, Oklahoma inquire about joining SEC per report

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanoCanuck

3rd Team
Feb 5, 2020
It's kind of entertaining how this topic has progressed. First it's "no way, just a rumor"...then "bad idea, terrible for the conference" and finally "how's it going to play out, alignments, etc". It might not happen but the tea leaves are pointing more and more to it. The NIL and subsequent loss of power of the NCAA seems to precipitate this entirely. The NIL was a huge game changer and here's another aspect of it. It's not over either. More to come.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I know it may seem stupid but Missouri appears to be building a SEC program finally. After all the craziness after Pinkel they have been recruiting the right team to compete down the line. Also it will help them tremendously that they aren’t traveling as far for games anymore.
I agree with the travel aspect and the familiarity with what will be their new home.

They did compete well and win division titles in the Big 12, but that was in the North, and they could never break through in that title game against Oklahoma.

We'll see. I have noticed they've not been vocal about any of this like A&M.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
One thing I can already see with this hypothetical is programs like Mississippi St, Ole Miss, and Arkansas taking a lot out of the football budget and dumping it into baseball. Texas is waaay behind all three of them in baseball in terms of facilities already, and this probably could kill Texas baseball as well as Texas football. But as @selmaborntidefan has alluded to… when has Texas ever really had a great football history. They act like they have the Yankees trophy case in football but they really are more like the Braves.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Someone is going to get left out.

I do think the Big Ten would be perfectly happy with Kansas and Iowa State.

I think the ACC would be ok with West Virginia. They are going to want to get Notre Dame to walk the aisle with them finally, but I'm having a hard time seeing how this all changes things for Notre Dame, such that they would choose to do that. I don't think the ACC would be interested in anyone else from that list. Maybe Kansas, but Kansas will prefer the Big Ten, I think. So maybe the ACC picks up Cincinnati as 81usaf92 suggested earlier in the thread.

The Pac 12 will happy pick up the Big 12 scraps, IMO, but only 4 of them.

Someone is headed to the AAC. I like to think that ends up being Baylor, and that makes me smile.

Reactions: FaninLA

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Conspiracy idea:
Could the rumors be spreading about UTx and OK while other potential teams are being wooed? Is the SEC savvy enough to leak rumors while talking to UNC and VaTech or some other schools?
That's not a conspiracy theory, though; it's a negotiating ploy.

Reactions: FaninLA

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Someone is going to get left out.

I do think the Big Ten would be perfectly happy with Kansas and Iowa State.

I think the ACC would be ok with West Virginia. They are going to want to get Notre Dame to walk the aisle with them finally, but I'm having a hard time seeing how this all changes things for Notre Dame, such that they would choose to do that. I don't think the ACC would be interested in anyone else from that list. Maybe Kansas, but Kansas will prefer the Big Ten, I think. So maybe the ACC picks up Cincinnati as 81usaf92 suggested earlier in the thread.

The Pac 12 will happy pick up the Big 12 scraps, IMO, but only 4 of them.

Someone is headed to the AAC. I like to think that ends up being Baylor, and that makes me smile.
Notre Dame will never leave NBC unless only super conference champs are invited to the playoffs. I think the ACC’s best move is what the SEC is doing and merge leagues. We basically merged the prominent Big XII and SWC into our west. The ACC has a bunch of former Big East teams that have dormant rivalries with WVU and Cincy.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Im having issues with believing that aTm was unaware about this for 6 months. Texas isn’t exactly the best state to keep an athletic conspiracy in… Especially when it pertains to Austin. The morons couldn’t keep the Saban news quiet so how in the world are they going to keep this quiet.

I lean more to aTm picking an opportune time to throw a wrench in it and force Texas to hurt in the pocket before coming.

DanoCanuck

3rd Team
Feb 5, 2020
With an expanded playoff the SEC Championship game could be for seeding. The winner gets a first round bye and the loser drops into the lower part of the grid but both go to the playoff. 3 or 4 teams in the playoff is not out of the question. The SEC would swing a big bat in that discussion with these additions.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Im having issues with believing that aTm was unaware about this for 6 months. Texas isn’t exactly the best state to keep an athletic conspiracy in… Especially when it pertains to Austin. The morons couldn’t keep the Saban news quiet so how in the world are they going to keep this quiet.

I lean more to aTm picking an opportune time to throw a wrench in it and force Texas to hurt in the pocket before coming.
That guy is a UT media puppet. So, you are most likely correct.

Reactions: 81usaf92

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
With an expanded playoff the SEC Championship game could be for seeding. The winner gets a first round bye and the loser drops into the lower part of the grid but both go to the playoff.
Well it’s also likely that the SEC championship game has a semi finals round as well. But what I think is that it may kill the 12 team proposal altogether and force longer regular seasons and a more rational playoff expansion.

Reactions: DanoCanuck

DanoCanuck

3rd Team
Feb 5, 2020
Notre Dame will never leave NBC unless only super conference champs are invited to the playoffs. I think the ACC’s best move is what the SEC is doing and merge leagues. We basically merged the prominent Big XII and SWC into our west. The ACC has a bunch of former Big East teams that have dormant rivalries with WVU and Cincy.
Notre Dame is who they are and have a huge following. Many have written them off during past alignments but this is the one thing that could force their hand. NBC could easily be part of the package if they wanted. ND isn't going anywhere but their leverage has become weaker and weaker over the years.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Notre Dame is who they are and have a huge following. Many have written them off during past alignments but this is the one thing that could force their hand. NBC could easily be part of the package if they wanted. ND isn't going anywhere but their leverage has become weaker and weaker over the years.
I thought so but last year kinda made me realize that Notre Dame was really willing to not play football if it wasn’t on NBC and on their terms. Either that or the ACC is a bunch of weenies that were scared to force Notre Dame to fully join.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I thought so but last year kinda made me realize that Notre Dame was really willing to not play football if it wasn’t on NBC and on their terms. Either that or the ACC is a bunch of weenies that were scared to force Notre Dame to fully join.
There is some truth to that about the ACC. They've stooped to levels even the Big East wasn't willing to. I'm sure they believe their pandering will win out for them in the event Notre Dame is eventually forced to join a league fully. And maybe it does.

And let's be honest. The bully approach has never worked against Notre Dame. The Big Ten tried that and we see how that worked out.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
  • Thank You
Reactions: TideEngineer08

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I do not understand how this expansion helps current SEC teams.
Mo’ money, mo’ money, mo’ money.

I think the SEC is positioning themselves for the long-term here. It’s an opportunistic buy. In all future contract negotiations the SEC will be in more of a power position because more good teams and more control of eyeballs.

…and to those concerned with markets, I think that is a philosophy based on present and past media arrangements. The way we watch games may change significantly in the near future, and in some ways has already begun. Perhaps folks making these decisions are looking to the future where markets aren’t as important because all of our watching of games may one day come from streaming. Regional and market affiliations might not mean anything in that time.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanoCanuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.