BREAKING Sec additions–Texas, Oklahoma inquire about joining SEC per report

Status
Not open for further replies.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
As someone who was never a 'pro wrestling' fan - I detested everything about it, in fact - thank you for this. I was unaware of the history as I've always ignored it.
I figured that when you said you had no idea what he was talking about.

If you were ever even a minimalist fan as a teenager, you at least would have had a tiny bit of familiarity.

Incidentally, in 1995, the Turner wrestling group went all-Southern by having a wrestling farce, er, I mean match with a predetermined outcome aboard a moving truck on some rural backroads.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Again, you don't predict the future, but I don't like where this one appears to be going, either.

College football is NOT the Premiere League - the absolute best, highest-level of the sport available. By definition and ratings, they're behind the NFL.

Of course.....if this super conference happens then.....with players making money, do you basically tell the NFL that their free minor league no longer exists and to pay up?

This is wild. And kind of exciting, too.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Again, you don't predict the future, but I don't like where this one appears to be going, either.

College football is NOT the Premiere League - the absolute best, highest-level of the sport available. By definition and ratings, they're behind the NFL.

Of course.....if this super conference happens then.....with players making money, do you basically tell the NFL that their free minor league no longer exists and to pay up?

This is wild. And kind of exciting, too.
As Napoleon said “ one sharpe blow and the war is over”. I think any of the additions pushes college football into a new world and most who are applauding it are going to be the first to say it’s ruin.

I really see the SEC more trying to deliver the final blow and take everyone worth their company into business with them. I think Clemson and Florida St may jump and Ohio St and Michigan maybe forced to if this stuff is true. Keep in mind that news broke 17 hrs ago and none of the 4 have killed it yet.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
This thread has been moving so fast that I can't really keep up.... or maybe I just don't want to...

But I'm just not a fan of any of this.

It looks like OU and Texas is all but a done deal so there's no use in me even making my case against it or complaining.

I'll say this about it though.... at least that would keep the SEC mostly a Southern Conference. Though adding those two will make it almost a 50-50 hybrid of Southeast and Southwest Schools but whatever.

But Michigan and tOSU? Absolutely no thank you. No offense to either but those are flat out North/Midwest schools and they don't belong anywhere near the SEC as far as being in a Conference goes.

CFB has always been a Regional sport and it just won't be right for it to be any other way imo.

Plus....WHY in the world would we help them expand their recruiting footprint down here??? ......and WHY would we help FSU or Clemson become more relevant?

I'm just glad we got to see the 2020 team complete a perfect 13-0 season last year because if we are adding 2-4 more legit Blue Bloods to the SEC to make a 20 Team Mega Super League then it will become almost impossible for anyone to reach perfection again in the future. It really will be NFL-Lite.

I'm sorry if that's me being negative or stuck in the past/present but I just flat don't like any of this AT ALL.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
As Napoleon said “ one sharpe blow and the war is over”. I think any of the additions pushes college football into a new world and most who are applauding it are going to be the first to say it’s ruin.

I really see the SEC more trying to deliver the final blow and take everyone worth their company into business with them. I think Clemson and Florida St may jump and Ohio St and Michigan maybe forced to if this stuff is true. Keep in mind that news broke 17 hrs ago and none of the 4 have killed it yet.
Potentially six new teams to the SEC? And considering what teams MAY be involved? Would certainly be the end of college football as we know it and have known it IMO. It`s a relatively minor thing I suppose but you could probably change the name of the SEC pretty soon!

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
This thread has been moving so fast that I can't really keep up.... or maybe I just don't want to...

But I'm just not a fan of any of this.

It looks like OU and Texas is all but a done deal so there's no use in me even making my case against it or complaining.

I'll say this about it though.... at least that would keep the SEC mostly a Southern Conference. Though adding those two will make it almost a 50-50 hybrid of Southeast and Southwest Schools but whatever.

But Michigan and tOSU? Absolutely no thank you. No offense to either but those are flat out North/Midwest schools and they don't belong anywhere near the SEC as far as being in a Conference goes.

CFB has always been a Regional sport and it just won't be right for it to be any other way imo.

Plus....WHY in the world would we help them expand their recruiting footprint down here??? ......and WHY would we help FSU or Clemson become more relevant?

I'm just glad we got to see the 2020 team complete a perfect 13-0 season last year because if we are adding 2-4 more legit Blue Bloods to the SEC to make a 20 Team Mega Super League then it will become almost impossible for anyone to reach perfection again in the future. It really will be NFL-Lite.

I'm sorry if that's me being negative or stuck in the past/present but I just flat don't like any of this AT ALL.
If any of this latest is true, it’s not about the SEC anymore. It’s about replacing the ncaa. Apparently Sanky has gone full Wyatt Earp.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Big 12 will attempt to survive

There is talk of them reaching out to UCF, Houston, BYU, and Cincinnati in case Texas and OU do leave, and still inviting 2 of the 4 even if they decide to stay. Haven't we seen this movie before a few years ago?

But if the other conferences do not want any Big 12 scraps, I suppose this would be how it will play out and the Big 12 lives for another day. Is that iteration worthy of "Power 5" status? Do we still share the prestigious Sugar Bowl with that conference? I just can't see it happening.

Meanwhile I'm re-watching the 2010 NC game vs. Texas. Colt has already gotten hurt and I burned a candle in his memory. However, it's amazing how uneventful the actual hit was.... was his injury ever disclosed?
That's just the people who run the conference don't want to lose their job. When Kansas leaves for the BIG and a couple others go west they will scramble even more.

CrimsonToffee

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 23, 2005
Atlanta, GA
www.derekgolden.com
If this is the road we’re going down with even bringing in other teams like Clemson / Florida State (Ohio State and Michigan would feel quite weird to me, as they’d stick out like a sore thumb here culturally), then what seems inevitable is some sort of two super-league setup akin to the NFC and AFC in the NFL. Something like a Super-SEC that is basically a merger of the current SEC + the southern portion of the ACC + Texas & Oklahoma vs the Super-Big 10 that is a merger of the current Big Ten + most or all of the PAC-12 + the northern portion of the ACC. Any remaining Big 12 teams either get split up the same way or left out altogether.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
This thing sounds to me suspiciously like, "Look, nobody gives a damn about Minnesota vs Indiana, so let's get all the big dogs under the same roof and have the Olympics every Saturday."

Be honest - would you rather see Michigan vs Purdue or Michigan vs Clemson?

However, you'd think this might also require the jettisoning of Vandy and the Mississippis to maintain credibility, too.
USCe too to make the 4…

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Btw for those who don't know or weren't around, there was an idea for creating a super conference was batted around in 1959. And the NCAA caused this one, too.

You have to remember there weren't "really" any rules followed back then for subsidizing players. The NCAA's ability to adminiser punishment came in 1952, when they shut down Kentucky's basketball program for a year in the wake of a point-shaving scandal. Walter Byers - the guy who kept us from being able to see games until the Supreme Court said he couldn't - emerged as a powerhouse from that episode. All the conferences DID realize they needed some regulation - and when the NCAA socked it to Kentucky, they became the de facto and unelected judges of the whole thing.

That same year of scandal (1951), there was a long-running 'north/south' war going on between the California teams in the PCC and the Oregon and Washington contingent. They all began accusing one another of lowering academic standards to let players into school. The NCAA investigated and found that an Oregon Webfoots booster had paid monies to players with the knowledge of Coach Jim Aiken. He resigned. In retaliation, Oregon suggested that UCLA's head coach Red Saunders be investigated. UCLA's Chancellor promised to review it internally (ha ha), but after a five-year probe with former players testifying, they determined UCLA had, in fact, violated the PCC codes and hit them with three years' probation coming right after they won their first national title. UCLA thus became the first team in NCAA history to get sanctioned upon winning the UPI title.

You can probably guess what happened next. UCLA went with, "But we weren't the only school doing this," and pointed the finger everywhere else. (To their credit, they never denied it - to their discredit, they built the most corrupt basketball power in NCAA history). Then the PCC fined Washington, USC, and Cal for similar violations.

Then it got political.

The governor of California at that time (Goodwin Knight) was a Stanford grad who went to high school in Los Angeles, and he felt UCLA wasn't doing anything that wasn't going on at other schools, that the punishment didn't fit the crime. UCLA then decided they were done with the PCC and leaving. Governor Knight proposed that the California schools pull out and make their own conference. UCLA was on the verge of withdrawal, but they were talked out of it at the last minute. The following May (1957), the PCC held a vote that ended 5-4 in favor of UCLA continuing in the PCC. Stanford, Washington St, Oregon, and Idaho (the four schools not hit with sanctions) voted to expel UCLA from the PCC.

At that point, the PCC was done, the commissioner fired, the conference dissolved, and the files in the offices destroyed.

In response, the desire was to build a national mega-conference that would touch all parts of the USA. Air travel was becoming fashionable (the Dodgers and Giants moved west for the 1958 season).

The conference would have included:
USC
UCLA
Washington
Stanford
Cal
Air Force
Army
Navy
Notre Dame
Duke
Georgia Tech
Penn State

It fell apart because the Pentagon with 3 service academies in that situation went bonkers. But that kind of expansion back then also would have altered the course of the game, too.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Btw for those who don't know or weren't around, there was an idea for creating a super conference was batted around in 1959. And the NCAA caused this one, too.

You have to remember there weren't "really" any rules followed back then for subsidizing players. The NCAA's ability to adminiser punishment came in 1952, when they shut down Kentucky's basketball program for a year in the wake of a point-shaving scandal. Walter Byers - the guy who kept us from being able to see games until the Supreme Court said he couldn't - emerged as a powerhouse from that episode. All the conferences DID realize they needed some regulation - and when the NCAA socked it to Kentucky, they became the de facto and unelected judges of the whole thing.

That same year of scandal (1951), there was a long-running 'north/south' war going on between the California teams in the PCC and the Oregon and Washington contingent. They all began accusing one another of lowering academic standards to let players into school. The NCAA investigated and found that an Oregon Webfoots booster had paid monies to players with the knowledge of Coach Jim Aiken. He resigned. In retaliation, Oregon suggested that UCLA's head coach Red Saunders be investigated. UCLA's Chancellor promised to review it internally (ha ha), but after a five-year probe with former players testifying, they determined UCLA had, in fact, violated the PCC codes and hit them with three years' probation coming right after they won their first national title. UCLA thus became the first team in NCAA history to get sanctioned upon winning the UPI title.

You can probably guess what happened next. UCLA went with, "But we weren't the only school doing this," and pointed the finger everywhere else. (To their credit, they never denied it - to their discredit, they built the most corrupt basketball power in NCAA history). Then the PCC fined Washington, USC, and Cal for similar violations.

Then it got political.

The governor of California at that time (Goodwin Knight) was a Stanford grad who went to high school in Los Angeles, and he felt UCLA wasn't doing anything that wasn't going on at other schools, that the punishment didn't fit the crime. UCLA then decided they were done with the PCC and leaving. Governor Knight proposed that the California schools pull out and make their own conference. UCLA was on the verge of withdrawal, but they were talked out of it at the last minute. The following May (1957), the PCC held a vote that ended 5-4 in favor of UCLA continuing in the PCC. Stanford, Washington St, Oregon, and Idaho (the four schools not hit with sanctions) voted to expel UCLA from the PCC.

At that point, the PCC was done, the commissioner fired, the conference dissolved, and the files in the offices destroyed.

In response, the desire was to build a national mega-conference that would touch all parts of the USA. Air travel was becoming fashionable (the Dodgers and Giants moved west for the 1958 season).

The conference would have included:
USC
UCLA
Washington
Stanford
Cal
Air Force
Army
Navy
Notre Dame
Duke
Georgia Tech
Penn State

It fell apart because the Pentagon with 3 service academies in that situation went bonkers. But that kind of expansion back then also would have altered the course of the game, too.
Thanks - I didn't know about any of that.

• Thank You
Reactions: selmaborntidefan

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Thanks - I didn't know about any of that.
Yeah, the NCAA filled a power vacuum that collapsed in their favor. I think - and I want to be careful here so that I don't sound like I'm dissing values that I largely endorse - but it was also 1950s America, pre-JFK assassination, pre-Watergate, pre-Vietnam. There was a belief in goodness winning and evil being squelched, and I think there was likely some over the top actions by the NCAA as well as the PCC because of it.

It amazes me how few people know that prior to the infamous "Bryant gets mad and leaves Kentucky because of Adolph Rupp," Rupp's own program was left in shambles.

Here's an overview of that particular scandal:

Kentucky coach Adolph Rupp had claimed his team was untouchable: "They couldn't reach my boys with a ten-foot pole."

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Yeah, the NCAA filled a power vacuum that collapsed in their favor. I think - and I want to be careful here so that I don't sound like I'm dissing values that I largely endorse - but it was also 1950s America, pre-JFK assassination, pre-Watergate, pre-Vietnam. There was a belief in goodness winning and evil being squelched, and I think there was likely some over the top actions by the NCAA as well as the PCC because of it.

It amazes me how few people know that prior to the infamous "Bryant gets mad and leaves Kentucky because of Adolph Rupp," Rupp's own program was left in shambles.

Here's an overview of that particular scandal:

Kentucky coach Adolph Rupp had claimed his team was untouchable: "They couldn't reach my boys with a ten-foot pole."
I did know about the Kentucky scandal and a few other odds and ends but the NCAA and the whole college sports policing piece described was unknown to me. Thanks again.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
With where this is going now it starting to sound less like conference realignment and more like a dissolvement of the ncaa. In that case I am for it.
This reminds me of when the Pittsburgh Pirates back in the late 80s traded some guy whose name was so obscure I forget, and Andy Van Slyke was told.

"Hey Andy, we traded So and So"

Andy: "Great trade, who did we get?"

• Haha
Reactions: FaninLA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.