Do You Want Oklahoma And Texas To Join The SEC?

What's your choice?

• Yes

Votes: 49 28.2%
  • No

Votes: 96 55.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 29 16.7%

• Total voters

TopBamaBloke

Scout Team
Jun 7, 2021
I voted no. As mere fans, why should we care if there’s some sort of financial benefit to conference expansion? College football was more fun when conferences had geographic integrity and had 12 or fewer members.

The worst thing about conference realignment is the discontinuation of traditional rivalries. I just hope the league moves us and our in-state rival to the East division so that we can keep our traditional rivalry with the vomiteers. That is a rivalry series that cannot be discontinued! It’s hard enough dealing with auburn fans, so I would be fine with not having to play LSU every year just because their fans are so hateful to us. I also don’t view them as a traditional rival.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I voted no. As mere fans, why should we care if there’s some sort of financial benefit to conference expansion? College football was more fun when conferences had geographic integrity and had 12 or fewer members.

The worst thing about conference realignment is the discontinuation of traditional rivalries. I just hope the league moves us and our in-state rival to the East division so that we can keep our traditional rivalry with the vomiteers. That is a rivalry series that cannot be discontinued! It’s hard enough dealing with auburn fans, so I would be fine with not having to play LSU every year just because their fans are so hateful to us. I also don’t view them as a traditional rival.
There is a reason fans should care. And I agree with you on the loss of tradition. However as it has been said many times, these moves are based upon money. It’s been said recruiting is the lifeblood of college football but that’s not really true. It’s money. Money drives everything. It drives facilities, coaching salaries, which all drive recruiting.

Oklahoma and Texas are willing to leave the Big 12 because that conference has maxed out it’s money making ability. The other members have offered to up OU and Texas’s shares but this is a bandaid on an amputated foot. NIL has changed everything. So not only is the SEC out pacing everyone but the Big Ten in making money, now we can legally pay players as well. Texas and Oklahoma rightly see the gap widening from here.

Now the conclusion. Texas and Oklahoma are going to move somewhere and their moves will be a tectonic shift in the college football world. The SEC’s position is less secure if those two go to the Big Ten or ACC. We want the SEC’s dominant financial position to hold because we want to continue to lead the way in everything to drives recruiting.

TopBamaBloke

Scout Team
Jun 7, 2021
There is a reason fans should care. And I agree with you on the loss of tradition. However as it has been said many times, these moves are based upon money. It’s been said recruiting is the lifeblood of college football but that’s not really true. It’s money. Money drives everything. It drives facilities, coaching salaries, which all drive recruiting.

Oklahoma and Texas are willing to leave the Big 12 because that conference has maxed out it’s money making ability. The other members have offered to up OU and Texas’s shares but this is a bandaid on an amputated foot. NIL has changed everything. So not only is the SEC out pacing everyone but the Big Ten in making money, now we can legally pay players as well. Texas and Oklahoma rightly see the gap widening from here.

Now the conclusion. Texas and Oklahoma are going to move somewhere and their moves will be a tectonic shift in the college football world. The SEC’s position is less secure if those two go to the Big Ten or ACC. We want the SEC’s dominant financial position to hold because we want to continue to lead the way in everything to drives recruiting.
Ok fine, but college football in general was still more fun when conferences represented regions of the country and had 12 or fewer members.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

And this “tectonic” shift could mean the SEC becoming its own “division” among a Power Five league. And that division could eventually be as many as 24 schools.

I’ve resolved myself to the fact this will happen, regardless of whether we like it or not.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Not really but they didn’t ask me. I still maintain Oklahoma would be a much better fit and be happier in the Big Ten. Both culturally and athletically.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Ok fine, but college football in general was still more fun when conferences represented regions of the country and had 12 or fewer members.
It’s a business. There’s no fun in business. This would dilute NIL for our guys. Bad for business. I’m only half kidding. 😡

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Probably the only two rivalries I actually Miss because of realignment are Kansas-Mizzou and Oklahoma- Nebraska.

I really won’t miss Alabama-LSU that much if we get put on non annual basis with it. I would prefer to play Georgia and Florida every year if they keep divisions.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Probably the only two rivalries I actually Miss because of realignment are Kansas-Mizzou and Oklahoma- Nebraska.

I really won’t miss Alabama-LSU that much if we get put on non annual basis with it. I would prefer to play Georgia and Florida every year if they keep divisions.
I have never really seen them as a big rival outside of the fact we play them every year and are usually better than the Mississippi schools. (Nobody will miss them or Arkansas).

It is probably a bigger deal to them because they are butt hurt over Saban and certainly the championship game upped the ante. But they pick up an annual border war with Texas along with Oklahoma so they won’t miss us too much.

So we trade annual games with LSU, Arkansas, TA&M, and the Mississippis for UGA, Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Vandy. (Assuming the barn and we move to the East). Is this better or worse?

Last edited:

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
I feel indifferent towards both teams…just as I do towards the other 13 SEC teams. Some fan bases act in ways that make me happier when my team beats them…and some are pretty cool.

that being said…I despise the NCAA as a governing body. If adding Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC is a move signaling the future dismantling of this capricious and self-serving organization…then dress me up in burnt orange, crimson and buff and let‘s get this party started.

Last edited:

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
I'm on the fence about this. Pros and Cons for this, as well as I don't mind Oklahoma but think Texas could be a problem. We'll see.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I say no, but if they do( and it appears it’s a foregone conclusion that they are) then Texas and Oklahoma should both be made to understand that they DONT run the conference and they will not be allowed to do the things they did in their old conference......do that and I won’t have a problem with it....... would rather have Oklahoma and someone else......

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I vote yes. Adding two more good teams to the conference would hopefully improve the quality of the schedule played. Better for playoff resume and better for the fans.
Even though I voted No, this is the Yes argument, and it's a good one. Trade off some rivalries and history against a stronger product going forward, and the history and rivalries will create themselves.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The UT bunch is next-level nauseous to deal with.

If any of you have ever had that experience with a Dallas Cowboys fan - not so much now - you're dealing with the primeval ooze of intellectual development. And Cowboy fans in Texas (natives anyway) tend to be Longhorn fans as well.

It's like the old "Mad" magazine cartoon about how you cannot ever win with a bigot. To give a clean example, a bigot will say when LeBron James is at the free throw line with the game on the line, "He'll miss." He hits the game winner and the bigot says, "What do you expect, all they know how to do is play sports!"

That's how dealing with morons in orange goes.

If their trophy case matched their mouths, they'd have to build a separate campus for them.

They'll boast on Vince Young.
They'll cry about Colt.
They'll insist they're the greatest.

And the proof? Cause they got more money than anyone else!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.