Report:The SEC Is Targeting Ohio State, Clemson, Michigan And Florida State For Expansion

If the SEC adds addtional teams, which are LIKELY choices? (Choose as many as you believe likely)

• Michigan

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Clemson

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • Florida State

Votes: 28 59.6%
  • Other Big 12 schools

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Other Big 10/11 schools

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other ACC schools

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Pac 12 schools

• AAC schools

• CUSA schools

• Independents schools

• Mountain West schools

• Sun Belt schools

• No immediate (next 1-3 years) additions

Votes: 14 29.8%

• Total voters

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Rumors are rampant, it came out Friday that the B1G and ACC is talking merger. No one knows what to believe except that OU and Texas will be in the SEC probably no later than 2025

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Rumors are rampant, it came out Friday that the B1G and ACC is talking merger. No one knows what to believe except that OU and Texas will be in the SEC probably no later than 2025
I'd kind of prefer that merger than for the SEC to try to fit every single football power into a single conference. If they don't get everyone, then there will still be another conference out two out there and then the SEC is dealing with a playoff and all of that having a bunch of 3 and 4 losses teams.

College football needs to cover most of the United States. They still need Notre Dame, Southern Cal, Ohio State, Michigan, etc... getting all of those in the SEC would be pretty hard to pull off.

So, if the Big 10 has to take on Clemson, Notre Dame, FSU, etc... at least they don't have a cakewalk. Of course that also means that the SEC could find themselves behind financially. They just added the state of Oklahoma to their territory, which isn't much. The Big 10 could add North Carolina, Virginia, Florida. It's complicated and why I would really have just liked things to end up at 4 super conferences with Oklahoma and Texas in the Big 12.

I would prefer not bringing on Michigan. I don't want to associate with such mediocrity which would water down the league.
Heh, while I appreciate the jab at Michigan, the SEC does need to add some programs that aren't winning. The average SEC team will still seem mediocre, whether it's Clemson or Michigan.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'd kind of prefer that merger than for the SEC to try to fit every single football power into a single conference. If they don't get everyone, then there will still be another conference out two out there and then the SEC is dealing with a playoff and all of that having a bunch of 3 and 4 losses teams.

College football needs to cover most of the United States. They still need Notre Dame, Southern Cal, Ohio State, Michigan, etc... getting all of those in the SEC would be pretty hard to pull off.

So, if the Big 10 has to take on Clemson, Notre Dame, FSU, etc... at least they don't have a cakewalk. Of course that also means that the SEC could find themselves behind financially. They just added the state of Oklahoma to their territory, which isn't much. The Big 10 could add North Carolina, Virginia, Florida. It's complicated and why I would really have just liked things to end up at 4 super conferences with Oklahoma and Texas in the Big 12.

Heh, while I appreciate the jab at Michigan, the SEC does need to add some programs that aren't winning. The average SEC team will still seem mediocre, whether it's Clemson or Michigan.
I've just about given up on trying to figure this out. It's bigger than anything else we've ever seen, and being driven by factors well beyond the usual for conference realignment. The sport is being remade, for better or worse.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I've just about given up on trying to figure this out. It's bigger than anything else we've ever seen, and being driven by factors well beyond the usual for conference realignment. The sport is being remade, for better or worse.
The SEC might really be trying to be the only surviving conference. If that's the case though, I don't get going after Clemson and FSU. Neither are really blue bloods, both are states the SEC is in. Skip them, go after Notre Dame and Southern Cal (as a football only member).

Reactions: TideEngineer08

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
The conferences are just pawns! This is Fox sports Vs ESPN. And ESPN just lobbed a salvo across Fox’s bow With OU and Texas! Two valuable Fox media rights properties! If ESPN by way of the SEC actually lures Ohio St and Michigan, Fox Sports CFB may be dead in the water!

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The SEC might really be trying to be the only surviving conference. If that's the case though, I don't get going after Clemson and FSU. Neither are really blue bloods, both are states the SEC is in. Skip them, go after Notre Dame and Southern Cal (as a football only member).
Yeah I can't understand FSU at all. If you are including FSU, why not Miami? At least with Miami, they've shown they can recreate the success under more than 2 coaches.

Clemson? Well the thing with Clemson is they are much like South Carolina. They have a huge and passionate fan base that will turn out for games whether they suck or are winning championships. But to your point, if they aren't really good, who really cares beyond their fans?

Heck, at this point, Notre Dame and USC may be on the radar.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
The conferences are just pawns! This is Fox sports Vs ESPN. And ESPN just lobbed a salvo across Fox’s bow With OU and Texas! Two valuable Fox media rights properties! If ESPN by way of the SEC actually lures Ohio St and Michigan, Fox Sports CFB may be dead in the water!
No, if the SEC gets OSU and UM, Fox Sports in the collegiate arena IS DEAD, period., end of story. The could not do the major golf tournaments well and gave those up...they are terrible in the NFL -- my opinion. I guarantee you ESPN is helping fund this movement to push them off the cliff.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I no longer believe this is about the SEC. Sankey is in acquisition mode. He is building the successor to the NCAA. He may have co-conspirators like the Big 10 commish. Who knows? It won't happen fast but over 3 to 5 years. It is something that is long overdue. I just hope he is the guy who can pull it off.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The fact that Ohio State and Michigan are being mentioned gives a ton of credence to the theory that this is a war between ESPN/ABC and FoxSports. Those just happen to be FoxSports's top 4 college football entities: Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State, and Michigan.

And as much as I hate ESPN for a variety of reasons, the fact is their actual production of the games is unmatched. Joel Klatt, whose opinions I generally scoff at, is still a good color analyst but beyond him FoxSports has nothing. Everyone used to go on about how good Gus Johnson was with his antics, but he just grates on my nerves. Tries to make every play sound like it's the game winning half court shot to win March Madness.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
No, if the SEC gets OSU and UM, Fox Sports in the collegiate arena IS DEAD, period., end of story. The could not do the major golf tournaments well and gave those up...they are terrible in the NFL -- my opinion. I guarantee you ESPN is helping fund this movement to push them off the cliff.
That’s not what I said? Ok , maybe I was being a little nice. I mean they do have USC still! 🤣

Reactions: Padreruf

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Clemson? Well the thing with Clemson is they are much like South Carolina. They have a huge and passionate fan base that will turn out for games whether they suck or are winning championships. But to your point, if they aren't really good, who really cares beyond their fans?
I disagree...USCeast has shown little ability to be successful more than a few years every10-15 years. Their fans turn out for the party more than the game.

CU is a solid program with good success for a number of years: John Heisman, Frank Howard and Danny Ford being the best coaches not named Dabo. They are not Bama or ND, but they are not chopped liver, either.

They have a reach across states that is amazing to me -- I lived there for 12+ years and met Clemson students and families from here to the state of Washington and beyond. Anyway, they are so far beyond USC in football and athletic prowess...USC only occasionally challenges them, i.e., under Steve Superior, the Quitter. The SEC would help them but they would help the SEC...no doubt about it. BTW, historically there are deep ties between CU and A&M -- ties that go back to the 1930's. I could see admitting CU as a good move on a number of levels.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I disagree...USCeast has shown little ability to be successful more than a few years every10-15 years. Their fans turn out for the party more than the game.

CU is a solid program with good success for a number of years: John Heisman, Frank Howard and Danny Ford being the best coaches not named Dabo. They are not Bama or ND, but they are not chopped liver, either.

They have a reach across states that is amazing to me -- I lived there for 12+ years and met Clemson students and families from here to the state of Washington and beyond. Anyway, they are so far beyond USC in football and athletic prowess...USC only occasionally challenges them, i.e., under Steve Superior, the Quitter. The SEC would help them but they would help the SEC...no doubt about it. BTW, historically there are deep ties between CU and A&M -- ties that go back to the 1930's. I could see admitting CU as a good move on a number of levels.
I never realized that about any sort of national appeal Clemson might bring to the table. I meant to differentiate further between them and S. Carolina, but sometimes I get to typing and my mind moves on to a new thought before my fingers get it typed out.

Yes Clemson is certainly the dominant football entity in that state, no doubt about it. I guess what I meant was a compliment to their fans, who like Carolina fans, will still show up and support them even if they are down. It's just that Carolina is down a lot more than they are up.

Frankly, Clemson is really truly the ACC's historic football power. It just so happened that Florida State's entrance into the league was at a time of their peak under Bowden, and a time of turmoil for Clemson. However, in the SEC, it would remain to be seen where they would go. Their talent levels currently would make them a league contender. But like OU they would find the sledding a lot tougher.

Reactions: Padreruf

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
UTX & OU may have company joining their SEC journey!

I've been reading a series of Robert Massie's books on the Romanov dynasty (in Russia) from abt 1613-1917. Could be just my front of mind association, but this is a lot like all the wars that happened in / around Europe/Asia/Russia during that time. Lots of land grabs, one emperor hating another for very petty reasons, familial angst and bloody conflicts, assassinations, jealously, prideful downfalls, treason, broken treaties, and more.

Here’s hoping Lenin and Trotsky don't appear at the end of all this!

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
UTX & OU may have company joining their SEC journey!

I've been reading a series of Robert Massie's books on the Romanov dynasty (in Russia) from abt 1613-1917. Could be just my front of mind association, but this is a lot like all the wars that happened in / around Europe/Asia/Russia during that time. Lots of land grabs, one emperor hating another for very petty reasons, familial angst and bloody conflicts, assassinations, jealously, prideful downfalls, treason, broken treaties, and more.

Here’s hoping Lenin and Trotsky don't appear at the end of all this!
If we can avoid the assassinations and treason, I think we'll be ok. The rest, well, that's sort of the lay of the land these days.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.