Stanford’s Shaw: Young’s deals not fair value

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com

It must suck to not be able to use your brand value to recruit quality players who will increase the brand’s value. Maybe he should focus on more architect QBs.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Think he would have said something if NIL existed when Tiger Woods was at Stanford? Or John Elway?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Regarding Shaw, I don't think he was complaining, but seemingly chuckling with laughter of respect for Coach Saban. Look at the entire quote, I don't pick up any angst or whining. But look at what the article said about Saban's thoughts, below Shaw's. Too many former players, now turned analyst, have mentioned that this WILL be an issue.

1627476848956.png

1627476912751.png

• Thank You
Reactions: Con

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Regarding Shaw, I don't think he was complaining, but seemingly chuckling with laughter of respect for Coach Saban. Look at the entire quote, I don't pick up any angst or whining. But look at what the article said about Saban's thoughts, below Shaw's. Too many former players, now turned analyst, have mentioned that this WILL be an issue.

View attachment 17583

View attachment 17584
Yeah it was a backhanded compliment. But this isn't the first time Shaw has had something to say about what we are doing. But he gets what is going on.

Regarding the other, well, that's the unintended consequence of all this. But I've got news for any of these guys. This is real life. I don't make as much as the CIO or COO. The QBs in the NFL are the highest paid guys. A RB is never going to make as much.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

It must suck to not be able to use your brand value to recruit quality players who will increase the brand’s value. Maybe he should focus on more architect QBs.
I don't think there was anything wrong at all with anything Shaw said there.

In fact, what he's saying has been the legitimate fear of the PTB regarding college football almost from day one.

Side note here: I'm reading five different books at once right now about the history of each conference (technically six, but I read the SEC one years ago). What's hilarious is that almost all of the EXACT SAME PROBLEMS people are complaining about today were issues in the 1890s, too.

The issues MOSTLY have not changed hardly at all.

Here's one I found amusing.

Y'all know how stuck up the Ivy League can be about stuff. Walter Camp, the man credited with inventing football, was a Yale coach. What was truly hilarious was to read about how the faculty and campus powers were "concerned" about football and what it was doing to their young men's health (and to be fair, it was far closer to actual Civil War combat back then prior to Teddy Roosevelt telling them to clean it up or ban it), but Camp was keeping receipts of how much money he was pocketing from the whole thing.

And guess what? The faculty found out about it and.....wanted their cut of the loot.

The entire saga of college football can be summarized:

Something happens >>>>>> people complain >>>>> they get self-righteous>>>>> they find how much money is coming in >>>>>> they demand "our fair share" of the money from a sport they insist is rotten to the core.

I mean, folks, this is Mafioso stuff through and through.

The only real difference in the TV deals of the 1950s and Yale in the 1890s and the players today is that we finally had a court say that the EMPLOYEES who actually take the risk get the money rather than the sideline watchers (many of whom insist they hate the sport) or so-called enforcement staff of the NCAA.

So much of what I'm reading sounds like it was ripped right out of today's online news.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Yeah it was a backhanded compliment. But this isn't the first time Shaw has had something to say about what we are doing. But he gets what is going on.

Regarding the other, well, that's the unintended consequence of all this. But I've got news for any of these guys. This is real life. I don't make as much as the CIO or COO. The QBs in the NFL are the highest paid guys. A RB is never going to make as much.
I agree, that is real life, however, the difference here is you and I are more than likely mature enough to understand and accept this reality. Whereas an 18-21 year old 4/5 star football player who's been told he's a "stud" his entire life isn't as on board with accepting this reality of life. I'd also venture to say that the OL who protect these super star quarterbacks can and will EASILY rationalize in their heads "I'm a big reason why he's able to do what he does. If I don't block well, he doesn't perform well." and the debate ensues.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
Shaw sure does seem to have a bit of an obsession with Alabama and Nick Saban, doesn't he?

Can't say I blame him.
I think it's just outright butthurt over not being being able to sign guys like Bryce Young and Najee Harris. Some of that is that Stanford has extremely high acceptance requirements, that most of us couldn't meet. I know I couldn't get in there, not that I tried to. But, some of it is that he isn't as great of a coach as I once thought he was.

Stanford has the money and the name brand to appeal to anyone. But acceptance and the WILL stands in the way of success.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I don't think there was anything wrong at all with anything Shaw said there.

In fact, what he's saying has been the legitimate fear of the PTB regarding college football almost from day one.

I agree. I think he realizes that CNS has the players AND the program AND the plan AND the process that will make NIL a valuable experience for all involved. :D

Hopefully they had done a lot of pre-planning for this and it's a well-oiled machine faster than just about everybody else. That's Shaw's fear. That, along with the fact that as others have stated, how do you have 18-24yr olds be disciplined enough where this doesn't negatively impact them.

You've got a QB w/ $1MM now who's never started. That's heady (and heavy) stuff for 98.3% of college players. Having the stature and support system to make it where players don't be come overwhelmed or lazy or too arrogant just adds one more thing to the head coaches worry list.

Last edited:
Reactions: FaninLA

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I agree, that is real life, however, the difference here is you and I are more than likely mature enough to understand and accept this reality. Whereas an 18-21 year old 4/5 star football player who's been told he's a "stud" his entire life isn't as on board with accepting this reality of life. I'd also venture to say that the OL who protect these super star quarterbacks can and will EASILY rationalize in their heads "I'm a big reason why he's able to do what he does. If I don't block well, he doesn't perform well." and the debate ensues.
You are right but we all have to learn some time. At least for us right now, it helps massively to have Nick Saban leading this for us. I imagine many coaches will struggle with this aspect of it.

I think it's just outright butthurt over not being being able to sign guys like Bryce Young and Najee Harris. Some of that is that Stanford has extremely high acceptance requirements, that most of us couldn't meet. I know I couldn't get in there, not that I tried to. But, some of it is that he isn't as great of a coach as I once thought he was.

Stanford has the money and the name brand to appeal to anyone. But acceptance and the WILL stands in the way of success.
And the thing is, and I don't know what grades Najee or Bryce had in high school, but I do know that either are more than bright enough to have been successful academically at Stanford. Easily. But either their grades weren't high enough and thus Stanford hamstrung itself there, or their grades were high enough and Stanford simply didn't have what it took to recruit them. Either way, IMO, Stanford is the failure here. And such it is with so many of these "elite" institutions. Yes, I have a great deal of disdain for much of them.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
"A player like Young who hasn't started a game making that much money, he said, "is not what this whole thing is supposed to be about."

Tell me Mr. Shaw what exactly is NIL supposed to be about? Is it about free market value or paying them what you decide they are worth? Are you aware that in a free market crop, oil and many other commodities buy and sell FUTURES. Brice Young is being paid for his FUTURE.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.