Could SEC moves delay playoff expansion?

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
Talking heads 2day r saying other conferences r pushing back on expansion because of sec hatred, saying now sec could have as many as 4 to 5 teams in playoffs. I think they will regulate to a maximum 3 teams from same conference, if the ncaa is still around!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This doesn't work without the CFP expansion, so, yeah, that is a way that the other conferences could blow this up. But I don't think they will.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think it really delays the 12 team talk. Because a 16 team conference probably has an extra game to it as well. I think playoff expansion is inevitable but until the dust settles I don’t think it’s worth putting anything together because next year we could have a drastically different landscape.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think it really delays the 12 team talk. Because a 16 team conference probably has an extra game to it as well. I think playoff expansion is inevitable but until the dust settles I don’t think it’s worth putting anything together because next year we could have a drastically different landscape.
The funny thing is Sankey and Bowlsby are sitting across the table from one another for six months having these super secret playoff discussions while Texas and Oklahoma are having super duper secret conversations with Sankey about bolting the Big 12.

The drama of this would make a good Netflix series.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The funny thing is Sankey and Bowlsby are sitting across the table from one another for six months having these super secret playoff discussions while Texas and Oklahoma are having super duper secret conversations with Sankey about bolting the Big 12.

The drama of this would make a good Netflix series.
There will definitely be a 30 for 30 on it. espn started on it already probably a year ago.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Children are running college sports.

Why do these clowns think the SEC is going to automatically get 6 of the 12 playoff spots every year?

Also why the assumption Greg Sankey pilfered Bob Bowlsby’s pockets? It’s obvious OU and Texas had decided they were done with the Big 12.

There is so little critical thinking going on anymore and petty children are in charge.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Children are running college sports.

Why do these clowns think the SEC is going to automatically get 6 of the 12 playoff spots every year?

Also why the assumption Greg Sankey pilfered Bob Bowlsby’s pockets? It’s obvious OU and Texas had decided they were done with the Big 12.

There is so little critical thinking going on anymore and petty children are in charge.
They are just using the 12 team CFP to slow the roll of the SEC for a little while and give themselves a chance to catch up. Even the SEC will not see a substantial increase in revenue from having more teams in the CFP:

Meanwhile, CFP executive director Bill Hancock told CBS Sports that the expansion timeline has not changed. "The summer assessment period is continuing -- the management committee members are gathering comments from their schools' presidents, athletics directors, coaches, faculty and student-athletes," he said.

The financial gain for having an outsized competitive advantage in a 12-team playoff would seemingly be minimal. Under the current contract, each Power Five conference gets $66 million per year from the CFP. Conferences get $6 million in additional funds for each semifinal berth and $4 million for a New Year's Six bowl berth.

DymaxionDon

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 14, 2019
When was the last time the NCAA showed leadership or did something right? It's time for the conferences to take over and move college football forward. I do not see the NCAA having a voice in formulating the next generation of playoff.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
They are just using the 12 team CFP to slow the roll of the SEC for a little while and give themselves a chance to catch up. Even the SEC will not see a substantial increase in revenue from having more teams in the CFP:

Meanwhile, CFP executive director Bill Hancock told CBS Sports that the expansion timeline has not changed. "The summer assessment period is continuing -- the management committee members are gathering comments from their schools' presidents, athletics directors, coaches, faculty and student-athletes," he said.

The financial gain for having an outsized competitive advantage in a 12-team playoff would seemingly be minimal. Under the current contract, each Power Five conference gets $66 million per year from the CFP. Conferences get $6 million in additional funds for each semifinal berth and $4 million for a New Year's Six bowl berth.
The language they are using is utterly childish though.

The notion that the addition of two teams makes it automatic that the SEC will get 6 bids is asinine.

I get slowing it down. By all means, slow it down. But then I must ask, why were we speeding towards it in the first place?

Reactions: B1GTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The language they are using is utterly childish though.

The notion that the addition of two teams makes it automatic that the SEC will get 6 bids is asinine.

I get slowing it down. By all means, slow it down. But then I must ask, why were we speeding towards it in the first place?
If you put yourself in their shoes, they are worried about their survival as a conference. This is all about that.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

And I figure - and I think you probably agree - that a 12-team playoff gives MORE significance to December games than the Mediocrity Bowls, and I think the gamble is that meaningful games in place of that smorgasbord of meaninglessness will draw better ratings and thus more $$.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I guess this is why part of the long term play for the SEC, or a mega conference or what ever would be to control the post season itself.

Reactions: B1GTide

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Yep, I'm tired of this narrative. it's against the bylaws for the SEC to recruit schools for membership, which means it was OU and Texas that initiated these talks. So, if anyone blew up the Big 12, it was those 2 schools.

Maybe the Pac 12 and what's left of the Big 12 should join forces and create their own playoff. At least they'd have a chance that way. :LOL:

Just wait until the SEC hits 20, 22 teams. They will become their own league, a mini NFL, and create their own postseason playoff. The rest of college football will become the NIT.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
If you put yourself in their shoes, they are worried about their survival as a conference. This is all about that.
True. I get that. However, back to Greg Sankey. He didn't do this on his own. I would bet my mortgage that Oklahoma and Texas initiated this and in fact, I would also bet they initiated when ESPN let the Big 12 know they would not be open to renegotiating their tv deal. In essence, ESPN let them know that as a conference they had maxed out their value.

So Texas and OU reached out to the SEC. And then Greg Sankey had a decision to make. Proceed with invitations, or I guess he could have been a "team player" as it seems these other commissioners would define that, and tell Texas and Oklahoma I'm sorry but I don't want to blow up college football. And then, Texas and Oklahoma goes to the Big Ten or the ACC.

So at the end of the day, perhaps Greg Sankey was taking the survival of his own conference into account.

As for the playoff, however, please do stall it. I doubt Greg Sankey cares. In fact, he was trying to pump the breaks on the thing already. Of course, he was doing so because he knew what was going down with OU and Texas.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.