Do You Want Oklahoma And Texas To Join The SEC?

What's your choice?

• Yes

Votes: 49 28.2%
  • No

Votes: 96 55.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 29 16.7%

• Total voters

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
One good thing about getting Texas is now we have the big brother in the fold along with little brother.

South Carolina has the lesser program, but they are THE University of South Carolina and not just the barn with a lake.

Reactions: selmaborntidefan

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
As a native Oklahoman and OU fan, I look forward to the Sooners joining the SEC, undoubtedly the top conference in college football. OU has never tried to "run" the Big XII; the Sooners, quite simply, dominate that league with their on-field performance. The claims by some posters that Oklahoma will get slapped around and put in its place in the SEC is amusing. That may be true if you're referring strictly to Bama, the undisputed best team in college football for at least the past decade. But it's also true that if OU played every SEC school this season (2021), the Sooners would likely be favored in every game except Alabama. Of course, the landscape may look entirely different if OU/UT are forced to wait until 2025 or later to join the SEC. By that time, Lincoln Riley may be in the NFL, CNS may be sipping piña coladas on some Pacific island beach, and (gasp) aTm or Arkansas might be the new king of college football.

While some of what I typed above was done with my tongue planted firmly in cheek, I'm being totally serious when I say that OU should never be mentioned in the same breath with UT when arrogance and entitlement are the topics. I believe Oklahoma is a great fit for the SEC and will make the conference proud to call them a member of your exclusive club.
It's true your program is much more competitive on the field in relation to winning games and CFP appearances. I also believe the Sooner program is much more prepared (right now) to enter the SEC and be more competitive. As you mention, if y'all have to wait until 2025 to play who knows which schools will be the best then.

However, one thing that I think OU will have to adjust to is the "SEC weekly grind." Crimson Audio briefly mentioned this, but it is a very real thing that I don't think the OU program has to deal with in the current Big 12.

While the cream always rises to the top in the SEC (and every other conference), the level of competition in the SEC from top to bottom is severely misunderstood unless you've experienced it week after week and year after year.

Again, if you entered the SEC right now, you might be the #2 team but adjusting to what might be a 9 or 10 SEC game schedule/grind will be the biggest adjustment for the OU program.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I thought about this earlier in relation to Notre Dame.

All the mighty former Independents have seen their influence wane considerably since joining conferences in the 1990s. Penn State. Miami. Florida State. Then the host of minor Independents like Pitt and West Virginia.

Yes you can find blips on the radar like 1994 Penn State, and 2002 Miami. You very well described the FSU conundrum.

And thus, perhaps that's Notre Dame's greatest hesitation in joining up with any conference. IMO, it is going to be up to the rest of college football to force their hand, much like the Rose Bowl. They are both relics, but relics apparently most of the rest of college football are more than happy to keep taking down off the shelf and polishing.
TCU was good, remember? No, not Miami or FSU or Nebraska good, but good. They joined the Big 12. They've done nothing since save for the year they maybe got hosed.

Utah was good. Joined the Pac-12. Stopped being good.

Boise State was good. Upgraded conferences. Eh, not so good.

Make no mistake, Oklahoma will be MUCH better than those schools and even the three above (and Penn St), but they're not going to win 7 SEC titles in a row, either.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
To sum up my thoughts on Texas and Oklahoma...

I did not like the move because it destroys my vision of 4 16 team super-conferences that was fairly balanced (except the ACC, but Notre Dame as a full member could help with that). If Texas, Oklahoma and a couple friends joined the Pac-12 they'd form a conference that financially might not have caught up to the SEC and the Big 10 but they'd have their share of football superpowers.

Instead the SEC holds half of the top programs in the country. That can't last though, they'll go to 9 games, start beating each other up and a committee isn't going to bend over backwards to do the SEC any favors.

So, now the only way I see is moving forward. SEC needs to destroy another conference or two and find a way to gain more political power. The move is high risk and high reward, and while I'd prefer it didn't happen, it has.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
This is some sort of hearing where someone representing Texas is being interviewed about the money involved in college football. Stay until the end. It's pretty hilarious.
I mean it's funny, but what's the point?

I'm sorry but literally nothing will come from this. Politicians will get in their digs, but Texas is still going to the SEC, and they will still become even richer.

This is political bluster and a waste of money and time.

Yes, I'm a blast a parties, and please get off my lawn.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I'm sorry but literally nothing will come from this. Politicians will get in their digs, but Texas is still going to the SEC, and they will still become even richer.

Don't feel bad.

I'm the guy who points out that when Brooks Hatlen says he can't go to the bathroom without permission (as well as the chief guard for that matter), he has a toilet in his cell. The guy who points out that when Forrest Gump told Jenny he got the Medal of Honor "just for doing what you told me to do," he did NOT get the medal for running way (which is what she told him to do).

And yeah, I'm the guy who points out (when it comes to sports) that there's no way Notre Dame was playing USC on Christmas Eve while the bad guys were invading Nakatomi Plaza in "Die Hard" nor did the baseball scenes in "Mississippi Burning" ever actually happen.

And I'm the guy who points out they actually got Jenny Gump's date of death wrong on the grave, which really ruined the movie for me the first time I saw it.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

That was the point, hence my comment about finding it hilarious.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
Don't feel bad.

I'm the guy who points out that when Brooks Hatlen says he can't go to the bathroom without permission (as well as the chief guard for that matter), he has a toilet in his cell. The guy who points out that when Forrest Gump told Jenny he got the Medal of Honor "just for doing what you told me to do," he did NOT get the medal for running way (which is what she told him to do).

And yeah, I'm the guy who points out (when it comes to sports) that there's no way Notre Dame was playing USC on Christmas Eve while the bad guys were invading Nakatomi Plaza in "Die Hard" nor did the baseball scenes in "Mississippi Burning" ever actually happen.

And I'm the guy who points out they actually got Jenny Gump's date of death wrong on the grave, which really ruined the movie for me the first time I saw it.
It was Red that says can't go to the bathroom without permission!!!

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Don't feel bad.

In It’s a Wonderful Life, Clarence tells George his brother drowned at the age of nine. George brushes away the snow to reveal Harry’s lifespan as 1911-1919, making him eight at the oldest.

Reactions: selmaborntidefan

scrybe

3rd Team
Sep 6, 2019
It's true your program is much more competitive on the field in relation to winning games and CFP appearances. I also believe the Sooner program is much more prepared (right now) to enter the SEC and be more competitive. As you mention, if y'all have to wait until 2025 to play who knows which schools will be the best then.

However, one thing that I think OU will have to adjust to is the "SEC weekly grind." Crimson Audio briefly mentioned this, but it is a very real thing that I don't think the OU program has to deal with in the current Big 12.

While the cream always rises to the top in the SEC (and every other conference), the level of competition in the SEC from top to bottom is severely misunderstood unless you've experienced it week after week and year after year.

Again, if you entered the SEC right now, you might be the #2 team but adjusting to what might be a 9 or 10 SEC game schedule/grind will be the biggest adjustment for the OU program.
Fair points (and thanks for the compliments). I believe the Sooners are up to the challenge of playing in the SEC. But I would, of course.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In It’s a Wonderful Life, Clarence tells George his brother drowned at the age of nine. George brushes away the snow to reveal Harry’s lifespan as 1911-1919, making him eight at the oldest.
Then there’s “Home Alone,” where the same kid who says he’s not worried about Kevin because “we live on the most boring street” is the same guy who says a serial killer lives next door.

Or when Obi-wan tells us that only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise…..

• Thank You
Reactions: DzynKingRTR

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Don't feel bad.

I am that guy too. The most overrated movie "trilogy" Lord of the Rings is dumb. Why the hell didn't they take those damn birds to the volcano? Ferris Bueller's Day off. No way on Earth he did all of that in one day. The baseball game alone is like 3 or 4 hours.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If they are like the Alabama legislature they will pound their chests and make a bunch of noise but wind up not doing anything. Although I just looked it up and I see your governor went to Oklahoma State. (Our governor is a barn grad).

Do Sooner fans have any derisive nicknames for OSU? Keep in mind we have a strict profanity policy before you answer.
OSU are the paddle people

• Haha
Reactions: Crimson1967

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.