Science: COVID-19 Vaccine Issues and New Poll Part V

What's your vaccination status?

• Fully Vaccinated

Votes: 38 88.4%
  • Partially Vaccinated OR Scheduled

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • You can place that vaccine in my cold dead arm when COVID kills me!1!!1!

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Something Else: See Comments

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
guess 1 political reasons though I find it unlikely

guess 2 is that they just don't have the bandwidth to actually run the tests that they take so they have to cap at the number they know they can actually complete
These places are doing those rapid, 15 minute test. It was 2 in the afternoon and they are open til 8pm on Saturdays. Seems like plenty of “bandwidth” left in the day for a nose swab and 15 minute test. The place I was at wasn’t even that busy, only 5 cars in the parking lot.

So, they are just being lazy?

Any way to report this to the state health department? Maybe I should email WSFA/WCOV. I’d love to get these places in trouble if there is no legitimate reason for them to cap the number of test per day. They could be turning people away that end up dead.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Those of you who are more familiar with the medical industry, please explain something to me.

My wife and I were at 2 different urgent care places in Montgomery yesterday. We were trying to get athletic physicals done. The one my wife went to was taking forever so I decided to take our 3rd child to a different one to see if it was faster. We both overheard very similar conversations from the staff at these urgent care facilities (one was an AFC, the other a Kids Street).

At mine, a father walked in with his son and ask to for his son to be given a COVID test. The person at the front desk said that they only do a certain number of COVID test a day and he would have to try again the next morning. He got upset saying that this was the 3rd urgent care he had been too and they all said the same thing. He angrily said that we are in the middle of a pandemic and he can’t find a place to test his son (I agree with his anger). He left after a few minutes without getting a test.

My wife overheard the doc and a nurse talking at AFC about cutting off COVID test for the day at 54.

My question: Why in the _____ is there a limit on the number of test done each day in the middle of the pandemic? This state is in the red and places are refusing to diagnose people. This is ridiculous. This is why some people don’t trust doctors. So, the number of infections being reported in the state could be much, much higher because some places are refusing to test people.

Someone, please explain it like I’m 5 because right now this just seems really irresponsible from a medical facility during a pandemic and, a danger to the public health.
I really can't fathom a reason why. Perhaps ask someone there directly or tip off the news so they can ask.

Reactions: B1GTide

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
My guess for the cap probably is several reasons...

Leaving available time to see other non-covid issues.

Rationing supplies to do the test, which I think is the most likely issue.

Manpower

Reactions: NationalTitles18

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My guess for the cap probably is several reasons...

Leaving available time to see other non-covid issues.

Rationing supplies to do the test, which I think is the most likely issue.

Manpower
Covid has the be their #1 priority, especially for testing children. If it is not, it is for political reasons, not medical reasons.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
In the video posted earlier, the late barrister said he was glad he got COVID because of his immune system.

That reminded me of something I hear the anti-vaxxers say. They harken back to the days when parents would host “measles parties”. Where one kid in the neighborhood would get it so they’d send their kid over and infect everyone at once and everyone would be immune after that.

I’m not in the medical field, but that sounds really stupid. Was that actually recommended by medical experts in the days before we had vaccines for things like measles, mumps, etc?

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
In the video posted earlier, the late barrister said he was glad he got COVID because of his immune system.

That reminded me of something I hear the anti-vaxxers say. They harken back to the days when parents would host “measles parties”. Where one kid in the neighborhood would get it so they’d send their kid over and infect everyone at once and everyone would be immune after that.

I’m not in the medical field, but that sounds really stupid. Was that actually recommended by medical experts in the days before we had vaccines for things like measles, mumps, etc?
I'm 70...I had the measles...and if there was a party no one ever told me. I was miserable for a week, to be the best of my memory!!

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

I can only say that I'm certain my measles and chickenpox infections (both of them) were by random chance and that parents definitely did have such parties. It was probably recommended by at least some physicians at the time since infections in adults were more likely to have more serious complications. "get it over with now" was the mantra, since infection was accepted as inevitable anyway.

It's important to note that this was previous to vaccines, though some do not trust vaccines and still advertise parties today for other anti-vax parents.

With chickenpox prior to vaccines about 12,000 kids a year were hospitalized and over 100 a year died from the disease.

Europeans and others from the "Old World" had some natural genetic resistance to the poxes (chickenpox, smallpox, etc;...) and measles through natural selection and exposures. When those diseases reached the "New World", where these diseases were not endemic, they were decimated by the infections. We can actually see the impact on genetics today in native Americans ( https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/11/european-diseases-left-genetic-mark-native-americans ). Many natives died because they lost in the natural selection process those from the Old World had already endured many centuries prior.

So now we come to a novel CoV that is forcing a process of natural selection because as a whole we have not already endured it as a species. Vaccines help us overcome this without the massive death and misery indigenous Americans suffered centuries ago from Old World diseases newly introduced into these populations.

I don't picture indigenous Americans of the time holding parties to get infected because for them and due to their genetics (though they had no way of knowing this) it was a deadly disease at any age as opposed to a usually mild childhood illness the Europeans experiences.

With regards to SARS-CoV-2 we are in the same boat as native Americans and not Europeans of that time. It would be foolish to assume any COVID-19 infection would necessarily be mild because we have not had centuries of prior exposure naturally selecting who lives or dies and leaving us with mainly those who are better equipped to handle such infections, genetically speaking.

Childhood vaccines are recommended now over exposure because the vaccines are far safer with much less risk of serious complications or death. That is definitely also true for COVID.

People who think their immune system will save them because they are strong and do the "right things" are very foolish. There have been many novel (at the time) plagues throughout human history that only abated after much human misery and death. Smallpox kept on killing until vaccination efforts eradicated it. It never moderated to a mild disease. If you win the genetic lottery then you are lucky indeed, just as there are a few who are genetically immune to HIV ( https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/03/050325234239.htm ). If not, you and your family are in for a world of hurt if you are foolish enough to favor your immune system sans vaccine and you don't win the genetic lottery.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
How are this -- Sunday -- morning? I hope you are feeling better and that you will find some relief from the pressures you are experiencing...those will wear you out.
My aches and pains from the vaccine (I assume) are gone today. I'm back at about 90%. I got the shivers and shakes and "I'm hot, now I'm cold." But I'm fine otherwise.

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
My daughter has a friend who had COVID last year and got fully vaccinated this year. Last weekend, his ex dropped off their 5 year old son for the weekend. The son had had a "cold" for several days. Saturday morning he took the son for a COVID test, which was positive. Sunday, he felt cruddy got tested and was positive. Fortunately, he's been able to suffer at home, and is slowly recovering. He has brain fog and was horrified to be told how many days had passed! His main problem has been extreme fatigue, along with the brain fog.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
2nd dose? That was a rough one for me.
Yup. Second dose. So about 2-3 weeks to full immunization.

I had to explain to my son last night (he's high functioning Asperger's) that it's still possible for him to get Covid. When I gave him the seat belt analogy (it's reducing risk, not eliminating it), I think he got that. He realizes, of course, that even though he's never known a car without air bags or seat belts, he can still die despite wearing them, but he improves his odds.

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
These places are doing those rapid, 15 minute test. It was 2 in the afternoon and they are open til 8pm on Saturdays. Seems like plenty of “bandwidth” left in the day for a nose swab and 15 minute test. The place I was at wasn’t even that busy, only 5 cars in the parking lot.
The kids street/main street has rationed them the whole time. My best guess is so that they'll haves tests for tomorrow as well, but I don't know. I called them once and was told to get there 2 hours before opening if I wanted to get in line for a test. One time I got lucky and was able to be tested that day.
I've had two tests this whole time - both in the morning.

Also - idk your insurance/kids birthday situation, but we try to get the physical form filled out during yearly check ups with the pediatrician (unless I forget). That way, it's covered with no out of pocket. But really depends on when kids birthday falls.

I can only say that I'm certain my measles and chickenpox infections (both of them) were by random chance and that parents definitely did have such parties. It was probably recommended by at least some physicians at the time since infections in adults were more likely to have more serious complications. "get it over with now" was the mantra, since infection was accepted as inevitable anyway.

With chickenpox prior to vaccines about 12,000 kids a year were hospitalized and over 100 a year died from the disease.
Not hospitalized, and obviously didn't die, but chicken pox was horrible for me. I'm so glad that my kids were able to get vaccinated. I have scars from it. And I had a high high fever. It would get to 105 & go back down. I hallucinated & they alternated rubbing me down with alcohol to bring the fever down, and covering me in calamine lotion.

As a kid, I spiked a fever a lot, and ended up with scarlet fever. Ear infections - 105, tonsils - 105, strep - 105. I wasn't sick a lot, but when I was - I was really sick. The fever hallucinations are really scary.

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
My daughter has a friend who had COVID last year and got fully vaccinated this year. Last weekend, his ex dropped off their 5 year old son for the weekend. The son had had a "cold" for several days. Saturday morning he took the son for a COVID test, which was positive. Sunday, he felt cruddy got tested and was positive. Fortunately, he's been able to suffer at home, and is slowly recovering. He has brain fog and was horrified to be told how many days had passed! His main problem has been extreme fatigue, along with the brain fog.
My son's best friend likely has it. He wouldn't let them test him, and his Mom doesn't like to make him upset. He's 8 with a heart condition. They're isolating just in case - but I told her to but in a call to his cardiologist to be on the safe side.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
My son's best friend likely has it. He wouldn't let them test him, and his Mom doesn't like to make him upset. He's 8 with a heart condition. They're isolating just in case - but I told her to but in a call to his cardiologist to be on the safe side.
Mom doesn’t like to make him upset? Good grief, what’s wrong with these people?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Both Georgia congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene and Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott recently cited a 1996 health law when refusing to answer reporters’ questions regarding whether they were vaccinated.

“You see, with HIPAA rights, we don’t have to reveal our medical records, and that also includes our vaccine records,” Greene said on July 20.

Both Greene and Prescott were referring to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, signed into law by President Bill Clinton. And they were wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: PaulD and B1GTide

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.