SEC unanimously votes to extend membership invitations to Texas, Oklahoma

C2Ag93

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 25, 2021
“Unanimous” lol

aTm must be absolutely steaming right now
Well, as an Ag, have to admit most of my Aggie friends (not on the internet) were mad at first, not with the unanimous vote, but when the news first broke. We're happy without them. Once it became more of a reality, most then seemed to think it simply made sense in the context of overall football conferences realigning. It's just inevitable.

Soon y'all will realize why we were happy being away from them... the teasips that is... I don't care about OU either way, and actually sort of happy about about them joining. For the SEC, IMO, it would have been better to add OU and say a North Carolina or Clemson (I know, just dreaming out loud, not assessing the likelihood of that or not).

C2Ag93

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 25, 2021
I still don’t get what they are going to beat out of Texas University in the 2nd verse.
Haha... to be honest, most of us Ags aren't sure either. Just an old song with old tradition, back from the days where yells (and cheers) of "sis boom bah" and such. The song was written in 1918. It even begins with a "Hullabaloo caneck caneck". At least that, as lore says, is supposed to be the sound of an early 1900s cannon going off (hullabaloo) with reloading (caneck caneck).

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Well, as an Ag, have to admit most of my Aggie friends (not on the internet) were mad at first, not with the unanimous vote, but when the news first broke. We're happy without them. Once it became more of a reality, most then seemed to think it simply made sense in the context of overall football conferences realigning. It's just inevitable.

Soon y'all will realize why we were happy being away from them... the teasips that is... I don't care about OU either way, and actually sort of happy about about them joining. For the SEC, IMO, it would have been better to add OU and say a North Carolina or Clemson (I know, just dreaming out loud, not assessing the likelihood of that or not).
I think we all know why you were happy to be away and I think we all would have preferred they had just continued life in some other place. But, if it was going to happen, we might as well all make the best of it.

Perhaps I'm naïve, but I do not think their power and influence will carry the same weight in Birmingham (SEC HQ) as it did in Dallas.

• Thank You
Reactions: BamaInBham

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Haha... to be honest, most of us Ags aren't sure either. Just an old song with old tradition, back from the days where yells (and cheers) of "sis boom bah" and such. The song was written in 1918. It even begins with a "Hullabaloo caneck caneck". At least that, as lore says, is supposed to be the sound of an early 1900s cannon going off (hullabaloo) with reloading (caneck caneck).
Heck Va. Tech adopted their mascot from a cheer.
"Hokie, hokie, hokie, hi. / Tech, Tech, VPI! That's it! We're the hokies! Someone go look up what a hokie is."
"A castrated turkey."
"Okay, a little weird, but the cheer sounds so good. Let's keep it."

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Heck Va. Tech adopted their mascot from a cheer.
"Hokie, hokie, hokie, hi. / Tech, Tech, VPI! That's it! We're the hokies! Someone go look up what a hokie is."
"A castrated turkey."
"Okay, a little weird, but the cheer sounds so good. Let's keep it."
I always thought if we added Virginia Tech, that a VaTech/Texas A&M rivalry would have been great.

Reactions: FaninLA

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I always thought if we added Virginia Tech, that a VaTech/Texas A&M rivalry would have been great.
I'm in favor of adding Va Tech to the SEC, but mostly because it would mean Alabama played games closer to home, making my going to a Bama game more convenient for me, which is the most important criterion for adding school to the SEC.

Seriously, though, I think the bloom has come off the Va Tech rose. Two decades ago, they were a more attractive candidate. They played solid D, had good special teams, and were occasionally brilliant. Now, they are closer to their traditional 7-5 team (5-7 on a bad year) making adding them less attractive (although it would help with Bama's recruiting in the DC metro market).

Reactions: TideEngineer08

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'm in favor of adding Va Tech to the SEC, but mostly because it would mean Alabama played games closer to home, making my going to a Bama game more convenient for me, which is the most important criterion for adding school to the SEC.

Seriously, though, I think the bloom has come off the Va Tech rose. Two decades ago, they were a more attractive candidate. They played solid D, had good special teams, and were occasionally brilliant. Now, they are closer to their traditional 7-5 team (5-7 on a bad year) making adding them less attractive (although it would help with Bama's recruiting in the DC metro market).
Fuente seems to have been a dud hire.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
He was 'successful' at Memphis. What do people expect?
I think VT was hoping to find a diamond in the rough. VT has had some success in the past, but does not have an Alabama checkbook.
So far Fuente has not delivered. He might, but historically, VT is a 4-7 to 7-4 kind of team and with the decline of Beamer and hiring of Fuente, the Hokies have reverted to type.

C2Ag93

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 25, 2021
I think we all know why you were happy to be away and I think we all would have preferred they had just continued life in some other place. But, if it was going to happen, we might as well all make the best of it.

Perhaps I'm naïve, but I do not think their power and influence will carry the same weight in Birmingham (SEC HQ) as it did in Dallas.
I think you're right, the more I think about it.

UTex lives in the past. Their arrogance has been legendary, but when you take a step back, they only have been able to bully conference mates in "legacy" conferences where the state politics allowed them to pull strings. The SWC was one such dying "legacy" conference. In some ways, the Big 12 was sort of an reincarnation of the SWC at least politically, with OU coming in and having some power as well. But college football changed the last 3 decades. As I pointed out on another thread, A&M and UTex are actually even record-wise from 1975 (when A&M became co-ed and non-mandatory military), but it took a while for the political balance to catch up to them. The Big 12 and that political balance died when we left the Big 12 (on the heels of course of Nebraska and Colorado leaving). The last 10 years may be what was needed for everyone to realize the former prom queen is now just an old hag that has to take her Metamucil just like everyone else now.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.