Billingsley may be in doghouse

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
As my late father would say about “being in the doghouse”:

“Don’t stay in there too long or, pretty soon when people come to visit, you won’t know whether to sniff their fanny or shake their hand….”
That there is some deep crap. 😉👍

Reactions: seebell

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
You’re right.

It should work that way. The youngsters they’re ostensibly “trying to help” would be far better served suffering age-appropriate consequences, starting at about 30 months, when there was far less at stake, but they could still make the connection between cause and effect.

Many people don’t see it that way, to the detriment of the youngsters they purport to “help.”...
100%

Everyone fails. The only variables are timing, magnitude, learning, and opportunity to recover. Better to learn from a small, early failure, while there's still time to recover, than later, from a bigger one, because your parents or others bailed you out from the smaller, earlier one(s)...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
100%

Everyone fails. The only variables are timing, magnitude, learning, and opportunity to recover. Better to learn from a small, early failure, while there's still time to recover, than later, from a bigger one, because your parents or others bailed you out from the smaller, earlier one(s)...
IMHO, no one is worth a dime who hasn't failed in something and had to pick themselves up and go back at it.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
To me it is very simple. Do these young men understand the privilege they have been given of playing football for the University of Alabama and Coach Nick Saban? With this privilege, however. goes the personal responsibility of living up to their commitment to the University, the coaching staff, their teammates and themselves.

Reactions: Rush

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
To me it is very simple. Do these young men understand the privilege they have been given of playing football for the University of Alabama and Coach Nick Saban?
When they hit campus as an 18-year-old, probably not. The last time Saban was not the head coach at Alabama, they were 3 or 4 years old. The last time we were not relevant in the NC discussion, they were 4 or 5 years old.

I grew up in Tuscaloosa during Bryant’s second heyday, with early childhood memory of the first. I knew nothing else, and had no idea how blessed I was. These guys are no different.

With this privilege, however. goes the personal responsibility of living up to their commitment to the University, the coaching staff, their teammates and themselves.
Agreed. That’s what The Process is for. Most recognize the advantages before they get to Tuscaloosa, and benefit greatly once they’re here.

Some start out pushing back against the requirements, but end up getting with the program, and they also benefit greatly.

A few, for whatever reason, simply can’t handle the demands. Generally speaking, they get jobs outside of football — at associated pay grades.

The choice is theirs.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
You’re right.

It should work that way. The youngsters they’re ostensibly “trying to help” would be far better served suffering age-appropriate consequences, starting at about 30 months, when there was far less at stake, but they could still make the connection between cause and effect.

Many people don’t see it that way, to the detriment of the youngsters they purport to “help.”

And as the popular saying goes…Here we are.

Given the current skill set, Billingsley will not be an NFL player.

Not enough speed for a Sunday WR. Not enough blocking capability to be a Sunday TE. Not enough deficient opponents in the NFL to make those shortcomings irrelevant.

He has millions of dollars in front of him, if he will only get with the program. I hope he wakes up before he fouls his own bed beyond remedy.
This is where I would have to disagree a little. He has a chance to make noise this fall. Just perform well and get to Combine and He'll be gone within 3rd round or better.

Jahleel Billingsley is a fantastic athlete for a player listed at 6’4″ and 230 pounds. He has excellent movement skills, highlighted by good straight line speed and very good flexibility, which helps with change of directions skills in space and efficiency at the top of route stems.

That athleticism plays into his versatility. Billingsley has lined up at wing, inline, and flexed out wide. His skills as a receiver are very good, and he’s a competitive blocker inline. Most notably, Billingsley was involved in pre-snap motion at times, and there’s a good chance that doesn’t go away in 2021, with likely more schemed touches in the quick game this coming season.

Billingsley’s receiving skills are very good as well. His routes are smooth and he can create separation as a route runner, and he has strong hands and the frame to make plays in contested spots and through contact over the middle. It’s likely that red zone targets are in his future.
There is a value in NFL for someone who can do that. 2022 NFL Draft: Alabama TE Jahleel Billingsley has immense upside (nflmocks.com)

Jahleel Billingsley, Alabama TE | NFL Draft Scouting Report (profootballnetwork.com)
Draft analyst feels like Jaheel Billingsley will be TE1 in 2022 draft (usatoday.com)

What I"m saing is that He will be drafted... but if he keep doing stupid stuff and not respecting the team culture, then yes, he will end up throwing everything away and then end up transferring somewhere.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
This is where I would have to disagree a little. He has a chance to make noise this fall. Just perform well and get to Combine and He'll be gone within 3rd round or better.

There is a value in NFL for someone who can do that. 2022 NFL Draft: Alabama TE Jahleel Billingsley has immense upside (nflmocks.com)

Jahleel Billingsley, Alabama TE | NFL Draft Scouting Report (profootballnetwork.com)
Draft analyst feels like Jaheel Billingsley will be TE1 in 2022 draft (usatoday.com)

What I"m saing is that He will be drafted... but if he keep doing stupid stuff and not respecting the team culture, then yes, he will end up throwing everything away and then end up transferring somewhere.
No NFL team will devote the resources necessary to build, practice, and implement a package around a player they can’t depend on.

Jalen Hurts and Taysom Hill are players that can be counted on. Billingsley is not building a similarly dependable risk profile.

I think he will revise his mental / emotional approach to the game, or he will be out of football well before he wants to be.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
To me it is very simple. Do these young men understand the privilege they have been given of playing football for the University of Alabama and Coach Nick Saban? With this privilege, however. goes the personal responsibility of living up to their commitment to the University, the coaching staff, their teammates and themselves.
The concept of " commitment ", like most other things, is instilled at home. I never had a curfew in high school. Just a father who said, " Just remember, you got to get up and go to work in the morning ."

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
...What I"m saing is that He will be drafted... but if he keep doing stupid stuff and not respecting the team culture, then yes, he will end up throwing everything away and then end up transferring somewhere.
Below is what, objectively, is at stake for a tight end (source: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/tight-end/)

1629816352136.png

• Do the right things at Alabama and be the next Kyle Pitts: $32.9M. Well-managed, this will sustain you for life. After agents fees and taxes on the initial contract, at 4% per year you'll make $731k annually.
  • Get in CNS' dog house and be the next Ben Mason: $3.7m. After agents fees and taxes on the initial contract, $67k annually for life.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
Below is what, objectively, is at stake for a tight end (source: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/tight-end/)

View attachment 18266

• Do the right things at Alabama and be the next Kyle Pitts: $32.9M. Well-managed, this will sustain you for life. After agents fees and taxes on the initial contract, at 4% per year you'll make $731k annually.
  • Get in CNS' dog house and be the next Ben Mason: $3.7m. After agents fees and taxes on the initial contract, $67k annually for life.
This is great! I'd love to see your breakdown on how you came up with these numbers (please show your work!).

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
I guess I meant the taxes, agent fees. etc.
It was a swag, but I assumed 10% agent's fee off the top, then 50% state and federal taxes just to be conservative; most states' rates are lower or even 0, but several teams are in high tax states (CA13.3%, NJ 10.75%, MN 9.85%). Take what's left and assume you can make it produce 4% per year. It wasn't meant to be perfect or to be financial planning advice. So, for Ben Mason:

$3,720,148 - 10% agents fee = $3,348,133
less 50% tax = $1,674,067
Yield 4% annually = $66,963

The point is that the difference between a first or second rounder and a fifth rounder makes it worth doing what CNS asks you to do if you have the talent.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
We know that coaches develop relationships with certain reporters they come to trust over their tenure. I’m pretty sure Cecil Hurt of the Tuscaloosa News is one of those guys Coach Saban has a good relationship with and tremendous respect for.

The question at the post scrimmage press conference came from Cecil. I was sitting here last night wondering if CNS “put a bug” in Cecil’s ear to ask him about Billingsley?

CNS is well known to use situations like this to send a message. He is always very calculating in how he responds to questions to get a desired effect.

Just a thought.
I noticed that there have been a few pieces done recently on what Cameron Latu’s been doing in practice. Yes definitely, CNS uses the media to send the message to the team and specific individuals.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I think Latu might be the best combination of blocker and receiver we have at TE. Better blocker than Billingsley. Still, while Latu has improved greatly as a receiver, he isn’t and probably won’t ever be at Billingsley’s level.

Better receiver than Tennison, probably about the same as a blocker. But being younger, and with only two years at the position (he was recruited as a LB / DL), I’m betting that he has a higher ceiling than Tennison as a blocker.

And yes, given Saban’s tone of voice an body language in Wednesday’s conference, it would appear that Latu might have come down with what Saban called a case of “poor me.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Rush and B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.