Bill O'Brien and USC

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
How much truth is there behind O'Brien being interesting in the USC head coaching job?

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I don’t know about Bill O’Brien‘s interest, but I think he is probably pretty far down USC’s wish list. Seems like Franklin and Bienemy are the most prominent names being mentioned.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Who really knows at this point. But I doubt BoB is going to be here long as a coordinator.
I agree. There will be other openings this year and I can see him as landing something if he is interested. I think much of that will depend on his family situation.

Reactions: B1GTide

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
You could not blame him for wanting to go and I am not sure Nick would hold him back given the nature of that job. I think Bill came back to the college game to stay and you really cannot get any better than USC. The Trojans would be lucky to get him.

Reactions: dathbama

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You could not blame him for wanting to go and I am not sure Nick would hold him back given the nature of that job. I think Bill came back to the college game to stay and you really cannot get any better than USC. The Trojans would be lucky to get him.
I am pretty sure that Saban asks for 2 years from his coordinators and would be pretty upset if O'Brien left after one season, taking a job before that season were even over.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I am pretty sure that Saban asks for 2 years from his coordinators and would be pretty upset if O'Brien left after one season, taking a job before that season were even over.
But at the same time BoB maybe a little different. He falls into that Daboll category of “a guy that doesn’t have 90% of the doors closed” when coming here.

Reactions: CoolBreeze

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
But at the same time BoB maybe a little different. He falls into that Daboll category of “a guy that doesn’t have 90% of the doors closed” when coming here.
I really think it depends on what Saban asked of him, and we will never know with certainty. If he leaves, Saban will never let on even if he is not happy about it because he wants other top guys to keep coming.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I am sure Nick asked for a 2 year deal. But at the same time he is a realist and human being. Bill has been an NFL head coach and GM so I am sure Saban can put himself in the guys shoes when recognizing a one in a lifetime opportunity like USC. There are plenty of offensive geniuses that would love a chance at rehabbing in T-Town as well so I really see it as a no brainer that dude leaves if offered the job.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Don't know if he'll end up at USC but he'll go somewhere else either at the end of this season or next. If Alabama makes the playoff again it's almost a sure thing either the OC or DC will be leaving.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
I'd chalk the BoB to USC stories up as rumor, right now.

Week of the Iron Bowl or SEC championship, should we make it that far, expect that noise to get a lot louder. Namely, due to the fans of the opponents we would face in those two games. Anything for a distraction or advantage.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I wonder if USC is kinda interested in Urban “yellow pages” Meyer?

as to coordinators, I don’t know what is in their contracts, but I’d think the 2 year thing is in there
I was wondering the same - UM is a square peg in a round hole at Jax and he will NEVER fit. Pro athletes don’t need and don’t want anything he brings personality-wise, I think one or two more losses will seal his fate, especially if they are beatings, because he’s already lost the team. His schtick might work on college kids but we now see it’s DOA in the NFL.
Maybe USC doesn’t want any part of it, either, because he’s been successful in CFB; for that reason alone you’d think there would be some interest. Maybe there is and they’re just waiting to see what happens.

Reactions: Con

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Don't kid yourself - USC is still a premier job. Suggesting otherwise makes us sound like opposing fans saying "Bama's dead and will never return".

There's tons of history and some of the hottest recruiting in the country in their back yard. USC can be back in the hunt every year with the right hire.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Tremendous recruiting base, weak competition, rich boosters so access to unlimited funds...it is literally a sleeping giant. Heck, Pete Carroll dominated the sport like Saban did for years out there and left like a king when he went to the NFL. If dude wants to make his legacy in college football then I cannot think of a better, more ripe place to do it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.