Gruden out as coach of Raiders

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Wow! I didn't see this coming. Heard about it on MNF. Assuming it will wind up in NS anyway.

When the vaunted professional football coach Jon Gruden was confronted with a racist email he had sent in 2011 to insult the head of the players’ union, he said he went too far but didn’t have “a blade of racism” in him.
But N.F.L. officials as part of a separate workplace misconduct investigation that did not directly involve him have found that Gruden, now the coach of the Las Vegas Raiders, casually and frequently unleashed misogynistic and homophobic language over several years to denigrate people around the game and to mock some of the league’s momentous changes.
He denounced the emergence of women as referees, the drafting of a gay player and the tolerance of players protesting during the playing of the national anthem, according to emails reviewed by The New York Times.

Gruden said he had resigned, the Las Vegas Raiders said in a statement on Monday night.
“I love the Raiders and do not want to be a distraction,” Gruden said in the statement issued by the team. He added: “I’m sorry, I never meant to hurt anyone.”

Gruden’s messages were sent to Bruce Allen, the former president of the Washington Football Team, and others, while he was working for ESPN as a color analyst during “Monday Night Football,” the sports network’s weekly prime-time telecast of N.F.L. games. In the emails, Gruden called the league’s commissioner, Roger Goodell, a “******” and a “clueless anti football *****” and said that Goodell should not have pressured Jeff Fisher, then the coach of the Rams, to draft “queers,” a reference to Michael Sam, a gay player chosen by the team in 2014.
In numerous emails during a seven-year period ending in early 2018, Gruden criticized Goodell and the league for trying to reduce concussions and said that Eric Reid, a player who had demonstrated during the playing of the national anthem, should be fired. In several instances, Gruden used a homophobic slur to refer to Goodell and offensive language to describe some N.F.L. owners, coaches and journalists who cover the league.
Gruden, Allen, the N.F.L., and the Raiders did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

• Wow
Reactions: 92tide, UAH and Jon

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Reactions: Padreruf and Jon

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So I guess he won’t be the next coach at Fourteenessee?
I don’t think he can recover from this at any level of professional work. Maybe FOX news or a right wing “against the libs” kinda guy but written evidence is near impossible to come back from.

But Gruden maybe the most overrated coach of all time and I’m surprised anyone took him back to begin with.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I pretty much never listen to Sports Radio anymore, but on my ten-minute drive to work yesterday, I had ESPN on (because that was the previous setting due to baseball). Keyshawn Johnson was on with somebody, and he was ranting hysterical. The host (don't know his name) was actually doing a pretty good job of trying to simply get Keyshawn to give his evidence for "a long pattern of racism", and then Keyshawn couldn't cite anything but the one email. So, of course, they'd quote player after player saying they'd seen nothing, and Keyshawn was arguing in a circle - his "long running pattern of racism" was because, well, Josh Jacobs is under contract, he's not gonna say how he really feels yadda yadda. My thought was, "If there's a pattern, it's in the emails, and it won't take another day or two for it to come out." Which, of course, was right.

He had pretty much next to nothing (at that time) but the one email.

But that's when it got good, and I got to laughing.

Keyshawn pivoted and started ranting about Gruden getting credit for QB development that he didn't deserve and basically that he wasn't as good a coach as his reputation is. I was howling at this, partly because he'd changed the subject, and partly because it was one of my repeated phrases:

"We didn't fire him because he was a racist, we fired him because he was a lousy football coach."

No coach ever got more credit he didn't deserve than Jon Gruden did.

It reminded me of when Jimmy the Greek got canned and several folks mused, "He should have been fired years ago for being a lousy oddsmaker."

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I pretty much never listen to Sports Radio anymore, but on my ten-minute drive to work yesterday, I had ESPN on (because that was the previous setting due to baseball). Keyshawn Johnson was on with somebody, and he was ranting hysterical. The host (don't know his name) was actually doing a pretty good job of trying to simply get Keyshawn to give his evidence for "a long pattern of racism", and then Keyshawn couldn't cite anything but the one email. So, of course, they'd quote player after player saying they'd seen nothing, and Keyshawn was arguing in a circle - his "long running pattern of racism" was because, well, Josh Jacobs is under contract, he's not gonna say how he really feels yadda yadda. My thought was, "If there's a pattern, it's in the emails, and it won't take another day or two for it to come out." Which, of course, was right.

He had pretty much next to nothing (at that time) but the one email.

But that's when it got good, and I got to laughing.

Keyshawn pivoted and started ranting about Gruden getting credit for QB development that he didn't deserve and basically that he wasn't as good a coach as his reputation is. I was howling at this, partly because he'd changed the subject, and partly because it was one of my repeated phrases:

"We didn't fire him because he was a racist, we fired him because he was a lousy football coach."

No coach ever got more credit he didn't deserve than Jon Gruden did.

It reminded me of when Jimmy the Greek got canned and several folks mused, "He should have been fired years ago for being a lousy oddsmaker."
Well

1) Keyshawn is on Kellerman’s show

2) Keyshawn has a long-standing beef with Gruden

3) Gruden‘s contributions to that SB is very little. Everyone gives him the credit for a team that Dungy actually built. Gruden is more like Billeck in that his ring is really due to what another guy built. How could you not have not won with the 2000 Ravens and 2002 Bucs

Reactions: Jon

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Well

1) Keyshawn is on Kellerman’s show

2) Keyshawn has a long-standing beef with Gruden

3) Gruden‘s contributions to that SB is very little. Everyone gives him the credit for a team that Dungy actually built. Gruden is more like Billeck in that his ring is really due to what another guy built. How could you not have not won with the 2000 Ravens and 2002 Bucs
Oh, it was clear it was some sort of "I don't like the guy" beef, which means anything he has to say about the subject can be dismissed.

I didn't know that because:
a) like I pay attention to anything Keyshawn says
b) Kellerman? Gee, if I'd known that, I wouldn't have wasted my time then, either.

I've just never understood the whole "Gruden is a good coach" thing at all. It's like Jim Rice in baseball - take his one monster year away from him, and he's nothing.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Oh, it was clear it was some sort of "I don't like the guy" beef, which means anything he has to say about the subject can be dismissed.

I didn't know that because:
a) like I pay attention to anything Keyshawn says
b) Kellerman? Gee, if I'd known that, I wouldn't have wasted my time then, either.

I've just never understood the whole "Gruden is a good coach" thing at all. It's like Jim Rice in baseball - take his one monster year away from him, and he's nothing.
I forget what the beef was about but Gruden and Keyshawn had to physically be broken up by Sapp because of something that happened early in the 2002 season. Gruden whined to Glazer and got him traded.

Really if Andy Reid wasn’t on the other side line in the NFCCG then I would say Gruden would have goofed it up. Guys like Switzer and Billick never got this much praise for one magical season with a super star team. Gruden really didn’t do jack after that SB.

Kellerman has pretty much replaced the Mike and Mike radio thing for ESPN. They are trying to become the boxing channel so Kellerman was the natural pick.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I don’t think he can recover from this at any level of professional work. Maybe FOX news or a right wing “against the libs” kinda guy but written evidence is near impossible to come back from.

But Gruden maybe the most overrated coach of all time and I’m surprised anyone took him back to begin with.
I hope JG saved his money...because he will never work in the NFL, NCAA, or any organization with a public face. I am not surprised at this revelation as he has always had a "harsh, arrogance" to him that would belie these sorts of views.

I'll also bet that there are a lot of NFL coaches praying that past communications -- texts and emails -- do not come to light. We're not talking about choir boys here...they would use this language as a matter of course without even thinking about it.

Reactions: PaulD and Go Bama

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I hope JG saved his money...because he will never work in the NFL, NCAA, or any organization with a public face. I am not surprised at this revelation as he has always had a "harsh, arrogance" to him that would belie these sorts of views.

I'll also bet that there are a lot of NFL coaches praying that past communications -- texts and emails -- do not come to light. We're not talking about choir boys here...they would use this language as a matter of course without even thinking about it.
If this were the 80s, I’d agree with you.

But given that I’ve seen comebacks from guys who tolerated a sexual assault “culture” or did time, never say never.

I agree he’s always given off a smug vibe and that hurts you when anything approaching this comes up. I think what’s hilarious is they the sports media has spent the last 2 decades complaining about the sandpaper personalities of guys like Belichick and Saban and exalting the carefree attitudes of people like Gruden. But the sandpaper personality guys don’t tend to find this kind of trouble, either.

Reactions: Jon and Padreruf

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I know the Gruden family, though not as well now as I used to, and Jon is the kind of person who says whatever pops into his head. He has an old fashioned sense of humor and can be very crass. He also has no filter. I am not surprised at all that he would have said things like this either in person or in an email. Honestly, just about every coach in his generation probably has more times than they could count. It is not a job that has historically attracted politically correct people.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It's probably because the sandpaper guys you mention are not racists.
You don't know that, and neither do I.
Now, I'm not willing to scorch anyone without actual evidence, but has anyone gone through their emails?

And Saban DID, in fact, get caught mocking Cajuns in his early days here, too.

I'm willing to be gracious to folks, it all depends on the circumstance and the evidence. But I also figured that there was likely more if we just waited, too.

Joe Paterno was considered an icon right up until he wasn't, too, the guy you wanted your kid to play for. There's no telling what turns up when you turn over a rock is all I'm saying.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.