General thoughts about the team/Remaining games/CFB in general

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
This post will wonder between topics but I figure it might spark a little conversation.

1) Going into the season I thought that if we were going drop a game it would be in this stretch of the season. I worried we'd spend a ton of emotional energy on the Ole Miss game (we did) and that a top 10 Texas A&M (they weren't) would catch a potentially flat Alabama team (we were). But as the season progressed I really thought that even a flat Bama team would still beat this A&M team...and as bad as the team looked we still should have beaten that A&M team. This can be looked at in a couple different ways...we do have the talent to still run the table and win it all....but we might also lack the overall maturity to overcome the overall grind of an SEC schedule actually do it.

2) While I do think the offense has not been completely in sync at times this year...our scheme and talent is still good enough to win every game from here on out. As bad as the team played, think of all the wide open drops from last weekend. We're doing something right to get those guys that open, so in my opinion it comes down to execution. The optimist in me says that as the season goes on the offense will continue to improve...and I still think there is time for that to happen but from my un-trained eye, I'm not sure we've shown that steady improvement. That said...

3) The offensive line scares me. And I am not one to bash a player but it's really that RT spot in particular that concerns me. I think I remember the broadcast mentioning that we were really only having success running to the left side. Well that can't continue or defenses will shut that down real quick. All that said, is there anything to be done about that at this point? If that spot is the primary weakness then the common thought would be to bench that guy and let someone else play. But if there was a better option then don't you think they would already be playing? So either you assume that the coaches aren't playing the best guy...or they are playing the best guy which then goes down the rabbit hole of did we really have that many misses in recruiting. Because we have recruited as good as anyone in the country on the oline. I'm not sure what to think there....this is one subject that I'd love to get some insight on.

4) Going forward, we should win the next couple of games with relative ease. This could bite me in the (y'all know the general area of the body I'm referring to)....but I don't think MSU or UT have the horses to give us much trouble....LSU is in such turmoil that I really don't think they will put up much of a fight either, but.....those last 3 (potentially) games are a concern to me. I think there is a pretty substantial talent gap between us and both Arky and AU...but both teams are run oriented with mobile QBs that will have the UF and A&M films to refer to as a way to give us some trouble. I think we do win both games but we cannot overlook either team....assuming we win both of those we then get UGA....

5) I can absolutely understand why even before this past weekend some people voted UGA ahead of Bama as the #1 team in the country. They have a really, really good football team. But in my opinion they could also be in the same boat as Ole Miss to an extent. That Ole Miss offense was deemed an unstoppable force going into the Bama game...but that had played no one up to that point. So while you could see that they did have a good offense there was no way to tell how good due to the competition up to that point. I kinda think the same about UGA except on the defensive side of the ball. UGA does have a very good defense, they do. They certainly pass the eye test, especially the front 7. But what is the best offense they have faced? Auburn...probably? Then what is the best offense they will face? Florida...probably? Now Florida gave us some trouble but UGA with that front 7 matches up very well with what Florida wants to do. But the question for UGA has been their secondary....they lost a ton of talent from last year and had to hit the transfer portal real hard in the offseason for their secondary. And I don't think they will face anyone in the regular season that can really challenge that secondary....But Bama can, assuming we make it to Atlanta. And that UGA offense still isn't really scaring anyone at the moment...with or without the Daniels kid at QB. But that front 7 does scare me if we don't get better up front. I'm not willing to anoint them the champ just yet...but I'm not willing to say definitively that we beat them either...I think it's still a wait and see, while a lot of people around the country see UGA winning it all as a formality.

6) I'm sure most people quit reading this post about half way through point #1, so I'll shut up after this...but in my opinion there is not 1 single team that does not have some chinks in the armor this year. That includes Bama...but it also includes all 4 of the teams that are ranked ahead of Bama in the latest poll. So while there are some flaws on this year's team, we are still in the hunt.

LeBron47

1st Team
Aug 30, 2007
I might also add that CNS needs to take over play calls made in the Red Zone. BOB can’t be trusted

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
4) Going forward, we should win the next couple of games with relative ease.
Every SEC team left on the schedule can beat this Alabama team, except LSU. Arky, MSU, Au, and UT all present problems.

Arkansas can run the ball and beat you over the top with Burkes.

MSU will throw the ball 60 times and make your LBs read, react, and tackle. That ain't Bama's strong suit

AU is at AU. That's all you need to know.

UT has a good offense.

I don't expect Alabama to lose to any of those games, but I didn't expect them to lose to an 0-2 TAMU team either. Bama has a lot of things to fix if they want to finish the season with only the one loss.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Nebraska was the last school to have back to back undefeated seasons in 1994 and 1995 so the odds were in favor of us losing a game along the way. I think we win the rest of regular season games.What the TAMU loss does is force us to beat Georgia in the SECCG. Had we not lost the game we could have made the playoff regardless of what happened in the SECCG.

Reactions: Con and The Ols

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
I know we go into the season expecting to win it all every year, but we had so much turnover, especially on offense. Reality for this year was a ton of growing pains and probably losing a game or two. We were never going to go undefeated again.....no program has done that since Nebraska in the mid 90's, as mentioned before. Its just not something that happens, its a unicorn.

We lost a record number of 1st round draft picks, including probably the best QB we've ever had

The best OC we've had

Our OL was dominant last year, its patchwork this year.

Our RB corp is dangerously thin.

We have no alpha WR like the last few years, Williams is becoming that.

We have no dominant DL that can disrupt a game like Allen, Q, or Barmore.

We have an ILB corp that has not played up to what we thought they'd be.

Seniors this year are part of the lowest rated Saban recruiting class (unless I'm mistaken, please correct me if I'm wrong).

Who are our locker room leaders.....I'd say all we have is Anderson (a true sophomore)....he shouldn't be in that situation with guys that have been here much longer than him, but he is.

Let's see how they respond the rest of the way, we are going to have issues vs SEC teams. This year, the issue is mainly between the ears for Bama, they don't appear to play with the drive and attitude that Georgia does. Rest of the SEC smells blood in the water now....our guys will have to grow up fast or get embarrassed again.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
The Auburn and Arkansas games concern me the most, but frankly MSU and Tennessee could both be tough as well depending on how well our guys play and execute. MSU did go into College Station and win, and Tennessee has quietly played very well of late(albeit against lousy teams). LSU has the talent, but appear to be in complete disarray. Put a gun to my head and I’d have to say I realistically think this team drops at least one more game somewhere along the line, but also think we have the talent and potential to repeat what we did in 2015(win out after a mid season loss).

Reactions: Cruloc

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
The Auburn and Arkansas games concern me the most, but frankly MSU and Tennessee could both be tough as well depending on how well our guys play and execute. MSU did go into College Station and win, and Tennessee has quietly played very well of late(albeit against lousy teams). LSU has the talent, but appear to be in complete disarray. Put a gun to my head and I’d have to say I realistically think this team drops at least one more game somewhere along the line, but also think we have the talent and potential to repeat what we did in 2015(win out after a mid season loss).
I agree with your last sentence, except for....I don't think we have the leadership in the locker room in 2021 that the 2015 team had.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I agree with your last sentence, except for....I don't think we have the leadership in the locker room in 2021 that the 2015 team had.
I would agree—and that’s a vital ingredient that seems to be missing from this team. Given what we’ve seen so far, I think this season is more likely to end like 2010 than 2015. Hope this team can prove me wrong

Reactions: Cruloc

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Texas A&M played better than they have in a very long time. Hell, better than they did at any point last season!

We played like utter dog crap relative to our ability, even with the problems factored in.

And lost by 3 on the road in a very hostile environment.

Just keep that in mind when worrying about us losing to some of the rest of our schedule.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Unless we make significant improvement on both sides of the ball, with the exception of NM State and possibly LSU, we have no gimmes left on this year's schedule.

Reactions: Toddrn

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Unless we make significant improvement on both sides of the ball, with the exception of NM State and possibly LSU, we have no gimmes left on this year's schedule.
Auburn allowed 34 points to the 43rd ranked offense in CFB. At home at magical JH. Bama would have to play worse than last Saturday and the Barn would have to play better than A&M did to win. Can it happen? It’s at JH so anything can happen. Will it happen? Nope.

Reactions: BamaInBham

LeBron47

1st Team
Aug 30, 2007
No he doesn't. We need to stop creating the narrative that aren't simply true. He called 1 bad game.... in another game, he has been good in red zone.
With greatest respect Tide Fan… Most Fans, CNS and commentators agree BOB blew it by failing to take advantage of BR down inside the five yard line. He left at least 14 points on the score board by not running more in the red zone. Other games I agree he has done well but this loss is largely on him. And if USCw would just take him I would be happy to supply his bus fare. The last line is strictly my opinion. I don’t expect everyone to share it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
With greatest respect Tide Fan… Most Fans, CNS and commentators agree BOB blew it by failing to take advantage of BR down inside the five yard line. He left at least 14 points on the score board by not running more in the red zone. Other games I agree he has done well but this loss is largely on him. And if USCw would just take him I would be happy to supply his bus fare. The last line is strictly my opinion. I don’t expect everyone to share it.
Actually, it seems to me that his play-calling has seemed distracted since the possibility of the USC job came up...

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Did any Bama player drop a pass, even a TD pass? Did any Bama player throw an interception?
Trying to blame this loss on bad play calling is misguided; the blame is shared by coaches and players alike. On both sides of the ball. If you’re just trying to point out the bad offensive play calling you won’t find many who will disagree; if you’re trying to blame the loss on it you may not find a lot who agree.

LeBron47

1st Team
Aug 30, 2007
Did any Bama player drop a pass, even a TD pass? Did any Bama player throw an interception?
Trying to blame this loss on bad play calling is misguided; the blame is shared by coaches and players alike. On both sides of the ball. If you’re just trying to point out the bad offensive play calling you won’t find many who will disagree; if you’re trying to blame the loss on it you may not find a lot who agree.
Obviously the loss is a shared loss. Also as you point out there were plenty of drops and mental lapses by the players. CPB once said in a close game one or two plays could beat you. It is also common to hear CNS say that the job of the Coach is to put the team in position to win. Yes I agree it was shared but in a three point loss I lay greater blame at the feet of BOB as the coach for not seeing what was happening in the game and not going with what is working. My opinion I get it but listen to commentator/former coaches and even our own head coach it was a factor in the loss that could have been avoided… of course one could make the point on the drop in the end zone as well as the poor route run on the interception played just as huge. My opinion is one of those people is paid to be right and he happens to be sitting in the press box.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.