Creative Spelling, Profanity and Obscenity

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I sure am getting tired of addressing this issue.

We recently had a long-time member post a “creative” spelling for the street synonym for a sexual act. It was creative enough to get around the automated filter, but that doesn’t make it OK. In fact, it exacerbates the problem.

The use of creative spelling, cute transposition of syllables, or creative use of non-alphabetic symbols indicates that the poster knew what he was typing wasn’t allowed. Otherwise, why not just use the word?

I‘m done with being nice. I’m done with explaining. I’m done with warning. If you can’t participate without doing this, go to Tiger Droppings.

Whether your post count is 1 or 100,000, next offense gets a vacation.

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
I'm guessing because you are a mod you see things we don't but this board is pretty tame, I rarely see anything out of line, maybe stupid and a little ignorant but not offensive. Vast majority of folks here are cool.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm guessing because you are a mod you see things we don't but this board is pretty tame, I rarely see anything out of line, maybe stupid and a little ignorant but not offensive. Vast majority of folks here are cool.
No one said anything disagreeing with your post, but the premise is based largely on the fact that we remove the things people post that don't pass our standards. While we can have 10,000 posts that are perfectly fine, it's still annoying when a poster - particularly a long-time member - posts something 'creatively' to bypass the filters.

This is a good board populated by good people, without question. I don't care what sort of colorful language you use day to day, but on TF.com we have standards that will be upheld, regardless.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
You people are confusing me and making me want to burst forth with profanity!

Does irregardless mean the same thing as regardless?
Yes. We define irregardless as "regardless.

We label irregardless as “nonstandard” rather than “slang.” When a word is nonstandard it means it is “not conforming in pronunciation, grammatical construction, idiom, or word choice to the usage generally characteristic of educated native speakers of a language.” Irregardless is a long way from winning general acceptance as a standard English word. For that reason, it is best to use regardless instead.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

We label irregardless as “nonstandard” rather than “slang.” When a word is nonstandard it means it is “not conforming in pronunciation, grammatical construction, idiom, or word choice to the usage generally characteristic of educated native speakers of a language.” Irregardless is a long way from winning general acceptance as a standard English word. For that reason, it is best to use regardless instead.

Irregardless has somehow become a word because people are dumb. It is not. Be smarter.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

i do not care what kinds of non-sensical links you provide, irregardless and regardless are not fungible

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Nope. Irregardless is wrong. It's the speech of the uneducated.

No blue font.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Nope. Irregardless is wrong. It's the speech of the uneducated.

No blue font.
Agreed. The first syllable of “irregardless“ is redundant.

It’s kind of like asking, “Where’s the car at?” “At” is redundant. The question should be, “Where’s the car?”

Isaiah 63:1, you and I could have huge fun debating grammar.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.