Creative Spelling, Profanity and Obscenity

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
…It’s kind of like asking, “Where’s the car at?” “At” is redundant. The question should be, “Where’s the car?”...
Reminds me of the joke about the Alabama boy looking for the library at Harvard…

…Isaiah 63:1, you and I could have huge fun debating grammar.
Sadly, we’d both agree that that’s fun!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Agreed. The first syllable of “irregardless“ is redundant.

It’s kind of like asking, “Where’s the car at?” “At” is redundant. The question should be, “Where’s the car?”

Isaiah 63:1, you and I could have huge fun debating grammar.
Well southerners use “at” and “mash” a lot. But it’s probably just jargon. I mean have you heard Brits use “me” in place of “my”. Each culture has different forms of slang. It’s what makes the English language hard to fully learn.

Reactions: seebell

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Well southerners use “at” and “mash” a lot. But it’s probably just jargon. I mean have you heard Brits use “me” in place of “my”. Each culture has different forms of slang. It’s what makes the English language hard to fully learn.
“Mash”? In place of smash, crumple, etc?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Wait..."Alot" is not a word. It's two words. "A lot". Just saying, since we're talking grammar.
Im not a grammar Nazi so mostly I don't care as long as it is not a totally made up word like irregardless. Yes if I am writing something professionally I am going to look it over before I submit it or send it out. But as far as the " Where are you going to be at" type of issues in common conversations, I really don't have an issue with it as long as I can understand what someone means by it.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
While we are on the subject, could someone tell John Parker Wilson that the word is not "Xpecially?" Man, I cringe every time I hear him on the radio and he says it 500 times on every broadcast.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
While we are on the subject, could someone tell John Parker Wilson that the word is not "Xpecially?" Man, I cringe every time I hear him on the radio and he says it 500 times on every broadcast.
That’s kinda like “axing” a question........a co worker of mine says that from time to time and someone will inevitably say “ watch out, we got a killer in here”

Reactions: CoolBreeze

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That’s kinda like “axing” a question........a co worker of mine says that from time to time and someone will inevitably say “ watch out, we got a killer in here”
"Ax" for "ask" is so ancient, Chaucer uses it in Canterbury Tales. "At" at the end of the sentence for location descended to us from the viking raider/settlers. It's still common in the western Norwegian dialects...

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.