Agiye Hall tweets "calling it quits" then deletes tweet.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Here is the thing. I want Hall to succeed at Alabama. I think everyone does. I do not know him at all and will not make judgements, but I'm a fan of his just because he chose to come to Alabama and put on that uniform.

But Alabama does not need him.

The sooner he figures that out, what it means to him and how he needs to address his day to day life, the better off he will be now and in his future professional endeavors.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Here is the thing. I want Hall to succeed at Alabama. I think everyone does. I do not know him at all and will not make judgements, but I'm a fan of his just because he chose to come to Alabama and put on that uniform.

But Alabama does not need him.

The sooner he figures that out, what it means to him and how he needs to address his day to day life, the better off he will be now and in his future professional endeavors.
I know what you're saying, but to a degree, I disagree. Alabama does need him! We have been less than dynamic at the receiver position this year (I know this is compared to recent years...but it's not necessarily even been a strength this year maybe outside of JW). If A-day wasn't a freak Stephen Garcia/Zach Calzada incident, Hall has some awesome talent that needs to find the field.

Don't misunderstand. I'm not saying play him if he hasn't worked on or off the field to deserve it. I'm saying we need him to get his act together and give the coaches a reason to get his talent in the lineup.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I know what you're saying, but to a degree, I disagree. Alabama does need him! We have been less than dynamic at the receiver position this year (I know this is compared to recent years...but it's not necessarily even been a strength this year maybe outside of JW). If A-day wasn't a freak Stephen Garcia/Zach Calzada incident, Hall has some awesome talent that needs to find the field.

Don't misunderstand. I'm not saying play him if he hasn't worked on or off the field to deserve it. I'm saying we need him to get his act together and give the coaches a reason to get his talent in the lineup.
Other than some drops, the receivers are not your problem.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Haven’t we heard recently from a converted CB on allegedly America’s team how he was moved from WR and he called his brother for advice. His brother told him to get to work! I don’t know Mr. Hall but I wish him the best of success at Alabama. Be patient and work hard, young man, and wonderful things, some would say God’s blessings, will be your reward. Of course this is the perspective of a 60 something! Roll Tide.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

That’s where you have to understand that the only person keeping him from the field is him. There are obviously aspects of his life at the University of Alabama that need addressing. Saban is serious about preparing these guys for life, and he uses playing time to try to help straighten them out.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
If you're a competitor it's hard to sit the bench. so in some ways his frustration is a good sign, but when we are young we don't always know how to focus competitive drive to the right things in order to bring about the success we seek. I don't know what his shortcomings are as a player, I know it's not his hands and I know it's not his athleticism. but Saban is going to make sure he gets it right. Perhaps his route running is weak, perhaps he doesn't know the offense well, perhaps he doesn't know how to maintain energy consistently, or perhaps he can't block down field. How often do we see the big play in our offense keyed by that one downfield block. its important. The one thing I do know is that from what I saw of him at A-Day IF he listens and puts into action what the coaches are telling him he's going to be a rich young man one day and the games he didn't play will matter zero.

Reactions: seebell

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Saban has told us what the problem is. Hall hasn’t demonstrated that he’s dependable. The fact that Saban has publicly phrased it that bluntly tells me that it’s probably not the absence of reliability, but rather the presence of overt unreliability.

Until Saturday, the issues had been kept in-house. Then Hall compounded his problem by putting it out in public. To say the least, tweeting, “I quit,” then thinking better of it and deleting the tweet, doesn’t help his case.

It could be route-running. Could be blocking assignments. Could be execution when he’s not the primary target. Could be focus on the catch when he is the primary target (given the drops, Lord knows we need that). Could be showing up to WR meetings on time and prepared. Could be all of those things.

But the bottom line is that Hall hasn’t been dependable in practice. He won’t see the field until he demonstrates that his teammates and coaches can rely on him on the road, in a game that matters, when the score is tight, the crowd is loud, and we need a first down.

Thing is, once you develop a reputation for unreliability, it takes more than just a practice or two to live that down.

After Saturday, there‘s a bye week and four games left in the regular season. I’m not sure there’s enough time left in the year to convince the coaches he’s genuinely changed his fundamental mindset, and not just on best behavior.

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Saban has told us what the problem is. Hall hasn’t demonstrated that he’s dependable. The fact that Saban has publicly phrased the issue that bluntly tells me that the issue is probably not the absence of reliability, but rather the presence of overt unreliability.

The issue could be route-running. Could be blocking assignments. Could be execution when he’s not the primary target. Could be focus on the catch when he is the primary target (given the drops, Lord knows we need that). Could be showing up to WR meetings on time and prepared. Could be all of those things.

But the bottom line is that Hall hasn’t been dependable in practice.
I got the distinct impression that it may go further that just the practice/execution/game preparation. CNS stated the expectations are that players do the right things consistently in practices, games and academics. I began to wonder if this is part of the problem as well?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I got the distinct impression that it may go further that just the practice/execution/game preparation. CNS stated the expectations are that players do the right things consistently in practices, games and academics. I began to wonder if this is part of the problem as well?
that's what i was wondering.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I think Saban also mentioned being on time to meetings and practice. That may also be part of it.

Reactions: seebell

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I think Saban also mentioned being on time to meetings and practice. That may also be part of it.
I agree, and it all circles around to being dependable.

We’re down 2. It’s 3rd and 8, on the barn’s 40, two minutes to go in Jordan Hare. Crowd’s going nuts

Nobody wants Bryce Young to be looking across the huddle at a guy who won’t go to class, can’t get to practice and WR meetings on time and prepared, and thinks the solution to all that is to quit.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

We’re down 2. It’s 3rd and 8, on the barn’s 40, two minutes to go in Jordan Hare. Crowd’s going nuts

Nobody wants Bryce Young to be looking across the huddle at a guy who won’t go to class, can’t get to practice and WR meetings on time and prepared, and thinks the solution to all that is to quit.
Well said......... being dependable is a virtue

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

I would hazard a guess that the young man is being required to do things of which he`s unaccustomed, for example, go to class consistently, block for somebody else, be a decoy, be on time, etc., etc. In other words, adult stuff.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I would hazard a guess that the young man is being required to do things of which he`s unaccustomed, for example, go to class consistently, block for somebody else, be a decoy, be on time, etc., etc. In other words, adult stuff.
It's not always fun to be a bit player in someone else's game.
Running a route when you know someone else will get the pass, is the same thing. You have to run that route, and sell it to the Defense, they have to believe your getting the ball. Sometimes the intended receiver don't get the ball. It might come your way. You have to be ready on every play.

Reactions: Rush and FaninLA

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
Running a route when you know someone else will get the pass, is the same thing. You have to run that route, and sell it to the Defense, they have to believe your getting the ball. Sometimes the intended receiver don't get the ball. It might come your way. You have to be ready on every play.
We had a Freshman receiver #6 who did that for an entire season. He was inserted in a big postseason game and did really well.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Unfortunately we live in an era of “ instant gratification”

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.