Students determined to get rid of Dixieland delight

Bama-fo-life

1st Team
Jan 16, 2004
Mobile, AL. USA
yahoo.com
Dixie land delight has become a great tradition and Alabama football games. After having it taken away, and then a compromise being issued by bleeping out over the obscenities, the students now choose to throw up a middle finger at the administration. Now instead of saying F Auburn in one point of the song they do it after every line. Seemingly determined to have the song removed. As much as I love it, I would understand at this point if they permanently removed it. People keep pushing the envelope until something will be done.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
It should have been removed after the first time they brought it back. But, instead of UA administration doing what they said they would do (remove it if the language in question was used), they try to cover it up by piping in the correct words. It's disgraceful how UA continues to cover up, and even enable, student misbehavior.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Keep this on topic of profanity in the student section regarding the song.

This is on the precipice of politics. If it goes over the edge, it gets moved.

No politics on the football board, guys. That’s not up for debate.

If you want to debate the meme, who’s right, who’s wrong, how bad the other side is, etc., etc., ad infinitum, take it to Non-Sports. If you won’t, I can fix that.

• Thank You
Reactions: Crimson1967

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Dixie land delight has become a great tradition and Alabama football games. After having it taken away, and then a compromise being issued by bleeping out over the obscenities, the students now choose to throw up a middle finger at the administration. Now instead of saying F Auburn in one point of the song they do it after every line. Seemingly determined to have the song removed. As much as I love it, I would understand at this point if they permanently removed it. People keep pushing the envelope until something will be done.
I'm with you, but this is just college students being college students. Pushing buttons and pushing limits is what they do. It's immature, thoughtless, and coarse.
In the end, "this is why we can't have nice things."

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I guess I don't even largely care.
I can see both sides of the so-called argument.

The stupid thing is that it's an argument over a song.

First time I heard it live at BDS, I had no earthly idea what was being chanted between lines in the song.
I kinda wish I hadn't known.

But by the same token, this isn't the late 1980s anymore, either. As revolting as those words are, your kids have heard it at a FAR EARLIER AGE and more commonly than I ever did. When that word loses it's shock value, who even cares about it anymore?

Here's the thing, though: take it away and they'll just do something else like it to another tune.
Maybe even more vulgar.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have profound hearing loss and wear hearing aids in both ears. When I go to a game I leave them in car. Sometimes hearing loss is a blessing.
Mine are not nearly that strong. Everything just seems a bit muffled, missing the high pitches. Last evening, we were taking a friend out for her birthday and got behind, as usual. I rushed out to go secure our table and my wife left in the other direction to pick up the friend. On the way, I realized I'd not put my aids back in after drying my hair. When I got there and seated, I realized that we were going to have trouble conversing on the patio where the combination of the music and the HVAC system caused us to have to raise our voices to be understood. (Crowded restaurants being the environment when I normally need them the most.) It worked out that I didn't even need the aids... :)

Reactions: Padreruf and Toddrn

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
Mine are not nearly that strong. Everything just seems a bit muffled, missing the high pitches. Last evening, we were taking a friend out for her birthday and got behind, as usual. I rushed out to go secure our table and my wife left in the other direction to pick up the friend. On the way, I realized I'd not put my aids back in after drying my hair. When I got there and seated, I realized that we were going to have trouble conversing on the patio where the combination of the music and the HVAC system caused us to have to raise our voices to be understood. (Crowded restaurants being the environment when I normally need them the most.) It worked out that I didn't even need the aids... :)
First of all I'm jealous, not because you have hearing aids its cause you have hair to dry lol

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
At Mrs. Basket Case's request, I recently had my hearing checked. Mild loss, and when I mentioned that hearing conversation in crowded restaurants caused the most problem, the doc said it was exactly what he would have expected.

I am not going to be the OF that constantly asks people to repeat themselves. So at some point in the not-too-distant future, I'm going to have to get hearing aids. Insurance doesn't cover, so hopefully, the recent approval of OTC devices will bring the prices down by then.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I'm 55 years old, graduated from UA, got a job after several weeks and have not been unemployed a single day since then, which makes me the perfect citizen, paying taxes in, doing what I'm supposed to do, bla bla bla. I had ONE CHANCE to color outside the lines when I was in college before I stepped into this boring death march to the grave. So can we just let them use profanity at football games. because once they leave school they have to conform to the man or pay the price. It's a football game, Most kids hear profanity on public TV commercials now.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
At Mrs. Basket Case's request, I recently had my hearing checked. Mild loss, and when I mentioned that hearing conversation in crowded restaurants caused the most problem, the doc said it was exactly what he would have expected.

I am not going to be the OF that constantly asks people to repeat themselves. So at some point in the not-too-distant future, I'm going to have to get hearing aids. Insurance doesn't cover, so hopefully, the recent approval of OTC devices will bring the prices down by then.
Believe me, it will. If you have the typical high pitch loss from not taking care of your hearing earlier, OTCs should do just fine. The problem is that consonants pitch lie in the upper range of hearing. In an environment which masks those, speech becomes all vowels, not understandable...

Reactions: TideEngineer08

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I'm 55 years old, graduated from UA, got a job after several weeks and have not been unemployed a single day since then, which makes me the perfect citizen, paying taxes in, doing what I'm supposed to do, bla bla bla. I had ONE CHANCE to color outside the lines when I was in college before I stepped into this boring death march to the grave. So can we just let them use profanity at football games. because once they leave school they have to conform to the man or pay the price. It's a football game, Most kids hear profanity on public TV commercials now.
I see it a bit differently, slammer.

The issue is it’s public and affects a lot of other people, including children. Use all the profanity you want in the privacy of your home. Believe me, I do. Just don’t scream it out in public.

It’s kind of parallel to smoking, or getting stumbling drunk, or performing a bodily function. It can’t be done in public without adversely affecting others. The legal parallel is that your right to swing your fist ends where the other guy’s nose begins.

I agree that life after college is long (we hope), but not nearly as fun as college. I just don't see where that confers a free pass to subject others to crass behavior.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Believe me, it will. If you have the typical high pitch loss from not taking care of your hearing earlier, OTCs should do just fine. The problem is that consonants pitch lie in the upper range of hearing. In an environment which masks those, speech becomes all vowels, not understandable...
This is exactly my issue. I don't know when it started; maybe 10 years ago or more. I didn't get the hearing aids until about 7 years ago. The audiologist said it was genetic, but I don't believe that is the case. I've also got awful tinnitus, which the hearing aids help.

All that to say, I was in my late 20s when this all became an issue. And it manifested as not being able to understand what people were saying. Not necessarily that I couldn't "hear" them.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
So can we just let them use profanity at football games. because once they leave school they have to conform to the man or pay the price. It's a football game, Most kids hear profanity on public TV commercials now.
It's not just that they use profanity. It's also that the University endorses their use of profanity. I expect better things from my alma mater. I guess I should continue to lower my expectations.

JayBama_in_PCOLA

All-American
Oct 2, 2020
Andalusia (living in Pace/Pensacola, Fl)
To be honest, they were doing that before it was banned the first time.

Reactions: tattooguy21

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It's not just that they use profanity. It's also that the University endorses their use of profanity. I expect better things from my alma mater. I guess I should continue to lower my expectations.
They really either should have done nothing or refused to play it again. The beat “Auburn” piping just makes the whole thing look more obvious that they couldn’t control it and didn’t want to. The only reason they got rid of it in the first place was because Alabama looked like hypocrites on live TV after weeks of bashing LSU for the Saban chant. Had Corso not exposed the song then it’s highly unlikely that anything would have been said about it in the first place. I mean the majority of this board was completely unaware of what they were saying until then.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.