Question: Do You Have A Pet Peeve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
People who "ramble" when trying to tell you something. You finally reach the stage where you just say "Can you please get to the point?". My dad has gotten so frustrated with my mom about this over the years. LOL! My mom, bless her heart, just struggles with "getting to the point" of a story and it ends up with glossed-over looks sitting around the table. My dad will notice and say "Honey, are you ever going to get to the point?" LOL! My middle sister is like this and it drives my youngest sibling and me nuts!
It has taken me almost 46 years to teach my wife how to get to the point...and somehow I am still alive and still married to her. She came by it honestly...her whole family takes forever to tell a story.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Otherwise healthy people driving a car with handicap tags and parking in a handicap spot. The tags are for a handicap person, not the car.
Because of a diagnosis and surgery I have a "lifetime" handicap hanger. However, most of the time I can walk fairly well...so I only use it when my back is really hurting. However, we have a couple we go out to eat with and she wants me to take it and use it every time so she doesn't have to walk to the restaurant. I'm now saying no...we'll see how long we keep eating together as couples.

She's also one of those who tries to get every last discount at any store or restaurant...and even get them to make changes when they say "no changes" ahead. She tries to use people and I cannot stand that...needless to say if her husband were not my best friend here -- and she my wife's best friend -- we would never go anywhere together.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
California

I had my rooms all laid put perfectly. everything worked and had a smooth flow. Then I was told I had to provide a thrid restroom type. Then got informed that my parking deck doesn't work because I need a certain percentage of bicycle parking. Plus parking for electric cars. All of this is in their building code. I left for the day and now I shall drink and deal with all of it tomorrow.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Humans who do not date correspondence.

I am a "note taker".

I take notes during all phone conversations - date, time of day, who I spoke to, details of discussion.

This is why I try to use email as much as possible. Everything is right there. Except even then - someone will not provide their name.

Recent examples are when I emailed a surfboard company in California to inquire about a specific model's availability. Every response signed "The XXX Team" (XXX being the surfboard company name). Last week it was the company who mows my Mom's place. No name at all. I finally asked so I would have it for my notes.

But today's pet peeve is about no date on written correspondence. Recent example - I just got a nice thank you note from a neighbor for something I did. No date. Going through a bunch of old correspondence a thank you note from dear friends who got married and sent a thank you note for the gift I sent. No date. It was March 27, 1974 - because of the cancellation stamp. Ha...not so fast my friend!

Write the date down when you send someone something folks....it's not that hard! :)

Reactions: seebell and Toddrn

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
People who put every cell phone call on the "speaker" option and their phone picks up every background noise from 50 ft away, causing both to talk over the other because neither side can hear. For the record, my mom and dad do this constantly even after being told (by my siblings and me) we cannot hear.

Reactions: Bazza

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
It's that time of the year again where the grinch part of me comes out about certain things.

*Non-family Christmas parties (bring a dish, games, gift exchanges etc.) for recreational groups you or your kids are a part of during the year and for the office/work.

These things are NEVER kept simple and end up being nothing more than another inconvenience during an already VERY busy time of the year. People don't like simple.

1639501923879.png

• Haha
Reactions: Bazza and seebell

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
#1 pet peeve: people who are habitually late. I have a couple of friends and one family member in particular who think it is perfectly acceptable to be habitually 30 minutes or an hour late to a function or gathering. IMO, this is the height of impoliteness. When you do that, what you are telling me is that you do not value my time at all and have no problem inconveniencing me. I know that sometimes things happen and you can be late - but when it's habitual, it's a choice. Burns my big old butt.

Wanna know something else that burns my butt? A flame about 3 feet high. :)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
#1 pet peeve: people who are habitually late. I have a couple of friends and one family member in particular who think it is perfectly acceptable to be habitually 30 minutes or an hour late to a function or gathering. IMO, this is the height of impoliteness. When you do that, what you are telling me is that you do not value my time at all and have no problem inconveniencing me. I know that sometimes things happen and you can be late - but when it's habitual, it's a choice. Burns my big old butt.

Wanna know something else that burns my butt? A flame about 3 feet high. :)
Yep, same here. I've got a few friends like this and I used to let it drive me nuts but I found better ways to deal with it. I don't wait on them to leave for an event, start an event, or order. It is amazing how prompt they become or just stop attending altogether. It's not "cool" to be "fashionably late" when "you" realize people are more than willing to continue on with or without you.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Yep, same here. I've got a few friends like this and I used to let it drive me nuts but I found better ways to deal with it. I don't wait on them to leave for an event, start an event, or order. It is amazing how prompt they become or just stop attending altogether. It's not "cool" to be "fashionably late" when "you" realize people are more than willing to continue on with or without you.
I would do that but would never hear the end of it from wife. Mostly because it would be her sister.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Weather forecasts on TV.

I don't care about 90% of your freaking chit-chat! Just get to the point!!!
Chances are they are trying to stretch time to make it to the next break. If an evening newscast ends without the "cute" story at the end they have probably run long in another segment and had to dump it.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
People that use the telephone as a way to stave off boredom. Also, people that call while they're doing something else and get distracted, thus leaving large gaps with no conversation on their end.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
People that use the telephone as a way to stave off boredom. Also, people that call while they're doing something else and get distracted, thus leaving large gaps with no conversation on their end.
My mother calls me and then will have a conversation with someone else in the room with her. Drives me crazy. I have hung up on her multiple times and she still doesn't get it

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I've thought about my pet peeves, and they're all really symptoms of the same thing: Oblivious self-centeredness. The obliviot is either too stupid to realize they're affecting others, or too selfish to care. Maybe both.

Lots of symptoms, but here are a few:

- Women at a packed bar, setting purses on barstools. If there are two of these obliviots, that's two people taking up four seats. When you ask them to move the purse, no matter how politely, they either act like you're the jerk, or that it's a gobsmacking surprise to them what they've done. Are you stupid, sweetheart, or do you think I am?

- People who stop a grocery cart in the middle of an aisle, thereby blocking traffic both ways, taking their own sweet time deciding between french-cut or regular green beans.

- People who walk into a store, get about 4 feet past the doorway, and stop to get their bearings. For a long time. Thereby blocking traffic both ways.

- People who walk down the middle of the driving lane in a parking lot, slowly trying to remember where they parked their car.

- People who stop in the middle of a crowded concourse to catch up with an old friend. Inevitably, it's two couples, so four people are now clogging up the walkway.

For the love of all that's holy, people....I understand getting lost, seeing old friends, being torn on a decision, whatever. Pull over to the side, out of the way, and do what you have to do. Just don't hold up the rest of the world while you get your [act] together.

- People who talk on a cell phone with the speaker on, forcing everybody within earshot to hear their never-ending inane conversation about nothing.

- People who, after waiting in the checkout line for 15 minutes, act like it's a gobsmacking surprise that they have to pay. Rather than have their money, card & ID, phone, checkbook, whatever, ready to go, they're fumbling through pockets or a purse big enough to be the Black Hole of Calcutta.

- People who have a dog at a pet-friendly restaurant or bar, but the &*^%* dog is either (1) endlessly yapping at the other dogs, or (2) far worse, the dog is big enough to do some no-fooling damage to another animal or human, and is growling in a menacing manner. The owner is (or pretends to be) oblivious to the whole thing.

- Parents who let their children do the same thing.

- It's 4th and 1 at the 4. People, usually but not always under 20, who sit yapping through the whole 3-minute TV time-out, pick the instant when the play clock starts to move their entire party of 8 (bumpity, bumpity, bumpity, bump) down the row to the bathroom.

- The obliviot who parks on the right side of the street, gets out, opens the back door into traffic, and putzes around with their gear in the back seat...their door and their butt hanging out into traffic. First, that's godamighty dangerous. Second, if the next driver is paying attention, he has to stop, slow down or change lanes. If he's not paying attention, well, that might not end well. How hard is it to do your putzing on the passenger side, out of the way of traffic? Infinitely safer for you, and a lot easier on the other drivers.

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
My mother calls me and then will have a conversation with someone else in the room with her. Drives me crazy. I have hung up on her multiple times and she still doesn't get it
Years ago, way before Mrs. Basket Case, I had a girlfriend who did that. This was in the early days of call-waiting. On multiple occasions, she'd call me, get another call, switch to that for 3 - 5 minutes, then get all manner of upset when I'd hung up while she was yammering with someone obviously more important than me.

When I pointed out the inconsistency in her position, she let me know in no uncertain (and extremely non-TF) terms that I was the rude jerk. As you might imagine, that kind of behavior wasn't isolated to phone conversations, and we didn't last much longer.

• Haha
Reactions: Bazza and seebell

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
YouTube videos where someone is telling a story and they babble for 20 minutes when they could probably do it in ten at the most.

Reactions: seebell
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.