EAST DIVISION VS WEST DIVISION

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
This was another year when the pundits were saying that the East might surpass the West. As Lee Corso would say....Not so fast my friends. This year has continued the West's dominance of the East. ( At least so far).
The West leads 7-3 so far this season. There are only 4 games to go and the Western teams will be favored in most.
The SEC West Champ has won 11 of the last 12 SEC Championships.

(corrected 10-27-21)

Last edited:

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019
I agree the West has been consistently better for some time. Probably since the late the days when UT and the gators were battling it out.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Sorry.... 7-3 in favor of the West so far this season ( thru 10-23-21).

There are only four regular season cross division games remaining.
They are.... Kentucky at MSU
Vandy at Ole Miss
AU at SC
Mizzou at Arky

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Sorry.... 7-3 in favor of the West so far this season ( thru 10-23-21).

There are only four regular season cross division games remaining.
They are.... Kentucky at MSU
Vandy at Ole Miss
AU at SC
Mizzou at Arky
More likely than not the west will be 3-1 in those last four games. The west is better than the east if top to bottom. The east is basically UGA dominating a bunch of uncompetitive teams with Kentucky being the only other team in that division worthy of a top 25 ranking. Even the worst team in the west is probably better than whichever team in the east you want to rank after Kentucky.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Hard to argue with past results. The West has won multiple national championships over the past few years and the East...nada. So, if UGA wins out then there is an argument that yes, East has overtaken, at least from a perceptive point of view. But it will not be lasting. Maintaining dominance will be tricky for the East going forward with a perennial challenger of Bama, a resurgent LSU under new leadership, TAMU that is recruiting as well as anyone and Barny that seems, well, always ready to upset your season with an unexpected victory. All that to say that this year is an anomaly if Georgia wins out. Which they won't, I hope.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Seriously...has the East EVER been more than "two good teams (at most) and a pile of garbage?"

In 1997, the top three teams - Florida, UGA, Tennessee - were all 11-2 or 10-2 teams.
In 2012, there were three 2-loss teams - Florida, UGA, and SCAR.

The other years? You can divide them into:

1) Florida and one other team being VERY good (usually either the Vols or UGA)
2) A pile of garbage that couldn't hold their own in the Big 12
3) the years Florida is down and 1-2 teams bob up for air

The myth of the power of the East is based on how good the Spurrier-era Gators were, particularly during the time Peyton Manning was also at Tennessee. Otherwise, the East hasn't been jack squat anyway.

Every single team in the SEC West - except Ole Miss - won the division between 1995-2001. Kentucky, Vandy, and SCAR have never won the East. The West once had a period of time where the team that won the division finished last the next year five times in six years. And during that SEC year of unbroken national titles, it was THE WEST plus Florida that won them all (at the time it wasn't "just" an Alabama streak).

The East was always nonsense.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
So, moving Bama and the Barn to the east and adding Texas and OU to the west makes sense from a competitive balance standpoint. But what about MIZZOU, split up the Mississippi schools?

Reactions: TXPachyderm

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
The way I see SEC realignment geographically.

2 division alignment:
WEST - Mizzou, Okie, A&M, Texas, Arky, Ole Miss, MSU, LSU
EAST - Vandy, Bama, Barn, Viles, UGA, Fla, Kentucky, SCe

Pod alignment:
N-West - Mizzou, Okie, Arky, Ole Miss
S-West - A&M, Texas, LSU, MSU
N-East - Vandy, Viles, SCe, Kentucky
S-East - Bama, Barn, UGA, Fla

Reactions: lowend

Stephen77

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 5, 2021
This was another year when the pundits were saying that the East might surpass the West. As Lee Corso would say....Not so fast my friends. This year has continued the West's dominance of the East. ( At least so far).
The West leads 7-3 so far this season. There are only 4 games to go and the Western teams will be favored in most.
The SEC West Champ has won 11 of the last 12 SEC Championships.

(corrected 10-27-21)
That one SECCG win by the East in the last 12 sure worked in Bama’s favor. 😊

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Bill, I thought USCe got blown out in the 2010 SECC game by Auburn. I could be wrong.
2010 SECC Game
West Champion. Auburn 56
East Champion. USCe. 17
Correct - USCe won the East losing to Auburn by eight, Kentucky by 3 and Arkansas by 21. Won the East with a 5-3 record over a 4-4 Florida. Which gave them the privilege of being destroyed by Auburn (man it hurts still to think about that.)

Reactions: Con

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.