Question: What is this team’s biggest obstacle to winning a National Championship?

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
Nobody here that I know of is arguing that the barn is better than Bama. Up and down the roster, we have the better team. Our O SHOULD wipe the field with their D. We all get that. But for whatever reason(I have expressed what I think it is many times), they manage to outplay us and usually enjoy some good fortune along the way virtually every time that we play them in that venue(only two exceptions--2001 and 2011). I'm not afraid of them nor am I conceding the game, but there is a history there that suggests to me as a FAN that total domination by our team in that stadium, no matter the disparity in talent, is not likely to happen. They are not intimidated by us and I really think they get more out of denying us a chance at a championship than they do by winning one themselves.
I agree with everything you said, but they usually don’t give us much trouble just because they want to ruin our season, if they don’t have a good team themselves. They’re hard to beat when they’re fired up and believe they have a good chance.

Reactions: deliveryman35

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
We haven’t beaten GOOD Auburn teams.
Well, when Alabama beats them, that is one win less on their resume.

AU has been very fortunate vs Bama lately in JH. Bama beats their brains out in BDS. Saban is 3-3 in JH since 2009. Overall 9-4 since 08, even with their luck. But the truth is that they've had some good teams, some Bama fans want to relegate them to average status but they are a top 15 type team historically.

IMO, some of their good fortune may be a bone for having to live in the same state with the best program in the country who sucks up most of the oxygen in the state, even when they lose. They have to watch them receive the accolades year after year. I give them credit for not folding up, even if some of them whine and accuse.

In the end, if Alabama can't beat AU this year - too bad, they don't deserve to be in the playoff. IMO, they will, because they are better - better players and better coaches but that doesn't ensure victory.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
Auburn has benefitted from just pure stroke of luck, having the Tide at home, during their better seasons. Then, like clockwork, the calendar flips, and they become very average, before visiting BD, and getting obliterated.

I love the Michigan/Ohio State rivalry. I love watching Oklahoma/Texas, and Oklahoma/Ok State. Heck, I love the Iowa/Iowa State rivalry. But the Iron Bowl is a thing of mystery and intrigue. If I were an outsider, I'd think that Stephen King has a hand in the Iron Bowl, somehow.

BamaInCummingGA

1st Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming, Ga
Yup - if we play them in the SECCG the OL will have to play out of their minds, far better than they've played all year. That UGA front seven is simply ridiculous.

Regarding playing a team like UGA, I have a phrase I love and share with folks when talking about fitness programs: "it's simple, but not easy." It's simple to get into shape, but it's not easy. And it's simple to game plan for a team like UGA, but making that plan work is not easy (against that D).

You're right in it not being easy.
My comment about simple is in regards to getting signals in better.
Against teams like UT, Ole Siss, etc, it's harder to get signals in quickly with all the sugar huddle mess and such but against more traditional offenses it should be easier to get play calls in and get lined up prior to the snap.
Of course, the players still have to correctly execute no matter what so.......

Reactions: crimsonaudio

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
But the truth is that they've had some good teams, some Bama fans want to relegate them to average status but they are a top 15 type team historically.
You know, I hate to say this out loud, especially with AuDub in the room. But this is probably a lot of our problem as fans. They have actually been a pretty damn good program and we aren't giving them the credit they deserve. It distorts our narrative.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
You know, I hate to say this out loud, especially with AuDub in the room. But this is probably a lot of our problem as fans. They have actually been a pretty damn good program and we aren't giving them the credit they deserve. It distorts our narrative.
I think this is what makes our rivalry so special. We don't have a cupcake rival like Vandy.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
That isn’t really the issue though. The issue is we have been better than them every single time.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Take that back right now young man :ROFLMAO:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
That isn’t really the issue though. The issue is we have been better than them every single time.
Maybe. But realistically 2017 didn't matter, Cam Newton in 2010, the play that shall not be named in 2013, and 2019 Mac was still getting used to being the starter after Tua got hurt.

Idk. I just refuse to worry about Auburn any more than I would for any other team on their level simply because of those games.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Maybe. But realistically 2017 didn't matter, Cam Newton in 2010, the play that shall not be named in 2013, and 2019 Mac was still getting used to being the starter after Tua got hurt.

Idk. I just refuse to worry about Auburn any more than I would for any other team on their level simply because of those games.
2017 didn’t matter? So we were a shoe-in for the playoffs that year even with a loss to Auburn??? No way.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
The obvious point is that they have been good enough to win and have done so, not because of JH voodoo or because Bama does not care enough but because of having very good teams, a legit home field advantage, a more singular focus and some very good fortune. IMO, the good fortune is likely to change at some point, the other reasons will then likely not be enough. The lesser talented team wins college football games all of the time. Bama's 13 year, 100 game streak vs unranked teams was one that will likely not be threatened for a long time if ever.

On a related but different note: AU is like the women who feel that life has dealt them a raw deal since they are the weaker and smaller vessel vs men, they too think that life has dealt then a raw deal because they inhabit the same state as the greatest program in history, thus, they are entitled to resort to any measure, including a constant attitude of hurt, in their eternal war vs Alabama. AU warrants Alabama's respect but Alabama has bigger fish to fry, i.e., AU is primarily another hurdle, hopefully on the road to an SECC or NC. As an institution they hardly think of AU or anyone else at all. Unfortunately, part of that is arrogance, fortunately, part of it is wisdom.

IMO, AU is a derivative program, i.e., they derive so much of their energy, passion and focus from their struggle vs Alabama. It's one thing for fans to focus on another school, it is another for the institution itself to do so.

Finally, in the minds of many of their fans, it is truly evil vs good. Many genuinely think so - yet one of their frequent charges towards Bama fans is that they are obsessive :).

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
But not that much better.

We were not in 2010, even though I've seen a lot of folks claim we were over and over. With injuries factored in, they were the better team. We got the jump on them (ironically playing with big time emotion at home, like they always do at JHS) but they finished us off because they were better. Flat out. Yes... I realize that was at BDS.

In 2013, we were better by a fair margin, but not so much that it was outlandish that they could win. And we played a horrible game. But they were 10-1, absolutely on fire as a team at that point in the season, and did go on to almost win the NC. It wasn't like they were a bunch of scrubs.

In 2017, again, with the injuries factored in and how we had stalled out on offense with Jalen, they were the better team. Not by a wide margin, and if it weren't for the defensive injuries, maybe it's a different result. However, they were again, like 2013, one of the hottest teams in the country at that point in the season and we were sputtering to the finish line.

2019 is what it is. We never should have lost. With Tua, we win by 4 TDs. Even with Mac still learning the ropes, we should have won but for the worst refereeing this series has seen and that is saying a lot.

So, have we been better than them every single time at JHS? Maybe? But not by some massive stretch.

And oh by the way... considering our issues this year, we aren't massively better right now than they are. So yeah, we better play like we are capable of that evening or we are going to be disappointed. Our ceiling as a team right now is a lot higher than theirs. But we have to cut the foolishness. But that's a month away. I'm not going to worry about it right now.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.