Question: What happened to Dan Mullen? (answer - he got fired)

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
He was...until he wasn't. Truth be told, he was never "sophisticated" enough for UF. They'll be looking for SS or UM, version #3. Not sure who that will be...I don't see Mario or Lame Kitten going there...do think that Napier would be a good, long term fit if they would leave him alone and let him rebuild.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
He was...until he wasn't. Truth be told, he was never "sophisticated" enough for UF. They'll be looking for SS or UM, version #3. Not sure who that will be...I don't see Mario or Lame Kitten going there...do think that Napier would be a good, long term fit if they would leave him alone and let him rebuild.
Mario can’t even win at an easy job. It’s baffled me why so many people think he is a rock star hire.

Lane is eyeing probably 2-3 jobs and neither is LSU or Florida, and neither are close to being open right now. Lane will probably be a consistent Sugar Bowl coach and the Rebel fans will love their trips to NOLA and keep giving him raises. He is in a job that doesn’t demand much, pays well, has great exposure, and they will sing his praises when he has 8-10 win seasons. Idk why people keep thinking he is going to jump at any tier 1 job. Sure Lane going to LSU or Florida is a scary thought considering that he is a massive improvement but neither will allow him to be him.

Reactions: Padreruf

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
And who wouldn't, other than those that want 2 or 3 years and a buy out ? Just saying.
I've watched the Napier family (father, then son ) coach football for years in the N. Georgia area.
Great coaches and families. Their x and o's and player management are/were superb.
Management (smoosing) of the PTB's may be suspect, however if he got Saban type control of Fla's program, Ga will cease to be our main threat in the east.

Nice to pull for a local but......

• Thank You
Reactions: Padreruf

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
O.K. guys I must not be paying close attention here. Why is Billy Napier so highly thought of? He wasn't a Coordinator here was he? I know he was here, but I can't figure out why we would think it was a good hire. I probably just don't follow him the way I should.

Edit: @Bubbaloo did just give out some information.

Reactions: bvandegraff

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
O.K. guys I must not be paying close attention here. Why is Billy Napier so highly thought of? He wasn't a Coordinator here was he? I know he was here, but I can't figure out why we would think it was a good hire. I probably just don't follow him the way I should.

Edit: @Bubbaloo did just give out some information.
Wondering the same - is ULA his only HC job up to now, and are a few upsets and Jimmy Sexton strong enough credentials to earn him Saban-level control of a program? Plus, he'll probably have to wonder about Steve Spurrier's influence on the program and AD as well.

That said, the hiring/firing/contracts/buyouts on college coaches are just insane to me. Mel Tucker being offered Nick Saban money after just 3 years of being a college HC? $17m buyout for Eaux and now $12m for Mullen's? I dread Bama having to dive back into the hiring pool whenever Saban hangs it up. But, hey, at least Jimmy Sexton's income will equal the GDP of Switzerland.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Every time I scroll past this thread title, I chuckle.

Seriously, and be honest with yourselves, how many of us thought Florida made a great hire with Mullen?

I know I did. Maybe not Saban or even Spurrier great but some level of great.

It just goes to show how important fit is for a head coach.

Success in one situation does not necessarily indicate success in another...

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama

Seriously, and be honest with yourselves, how many of us thought Florida made a great hire with Mullen?

I also thought Florida had made a great coaching hire with Mullen. I thought it was a no-brainer for them. He had been a very successful OC under UM at Utah and Florida. He did about as well as can be expected at MSU. UM had already coached at UF and knew the state recruiting scene. The last time UF had been great was with UM as HC and DM as OC. It seemed like an obvious hire for UF.

Reactions: seebell and B1GTide

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa

At the time, he seemed like the only obvious choice.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.