Knoxville, TN USA
  • Haha
Reactions: Go Bama and ROCKEE

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Never know. It is a mama called situation.
Would be interesting, considering he was fired from there as an OC several years ago.

I’m not saying it can’t happen, but I can’t recall a coach being fired from a school as an assistant (and Heupel’s was a true performance-based firing, not a situation where a new HC came in and brought his own people, displacing the former staff), and came back later in the HC slot.

Closest I can remember is aTm firing Stallings as HC, and later putting him on their Board of Regents. But there were literally decades between those two moves.

Last edited:

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
Never know. It is a mama called situation.
And everyone knows money talks and you know what walks! I've said he can win there I think better than UTK and maybe if he gets the call he thinking the same, and some people have said he was fired so this day and time that means nothing as you said mama called situation

Lehmann

Apr 12, 2020
All fan's are convinced that no one can turn down an offer from their school. We're all usually wrong and broken hearted, at the end of the day. I'm just glad it's not our time to search for a new coach. There are a lot of folks waiting for that day with baited breath.

Reactions: 4Bama and bamadwain

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I thought Heupel was a crisis/distress hire for Tennessee, and maybe he was, but he has done a lot with very little. He may be a very good hire for his alma mater.

Reactions: Con

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I'm sure Heupel would take in a heartbeat...

Would make me nervous though if I were an OU fan. They fired him as OC in 2014 and there were UCF fans ready to drive him to the airport before he got the UT job.

I think he does good things from a scheme standpoint but I'm not confident he can recruit at the level he'll need to for OU to succeed going forward, especially once they move to the SEC.

denver

All-American
Nov 11, 2017
Given their defensive issues....Venables would be the better hire...about time for him to step into the HC limelight and see if the plaudits are warranted

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Given their defensive issues....Venables would be the better hire...about time for him to step into the HC limelight and see if the plaudits are warranted
Venables has a great gig in Clemson, and he’s rumored to have had plenty of offers in the past, but turned them all down.

Now, I’m sure none were of Oklahoma’s caliber, so we’ll see.

He may just like making $2M a year in a place where it goes a long way, and where he doesn’t have the headaches of the HC, and where he can go anywhere outside the state of South Carolina and be neither recognized nor bothered.

PLEEEZE don’t throw me in that briar patch.

Reactions: 4Bama and The Ols

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.