Some General Thoughts on the Georgia Game

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I re-watched the AU game, it's really pathetic at how unwilling the right side of our OL was to make contact with the oncoming DL. It was a poor effort at any level of football. And we put up with it for over a half of football. In basketball you would sit a player in minutes giving that kind of effort. I suspect this unit has been mismanaged terribly.
Yep, I saw it as well. There were several slow motion replays where the right side of the line, especially one particular player literally was facing the oncoming defender, put one half hearted stiff arm out then just let the defender by. It happened A LOT. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought he was doing on purpose like he really didn't give a damn. That's how bad it looked.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
This is what I'm thinking - do what Clemson did to Bama about five years go.
iirc, we had them completely stoned until their last possession of the 2nd quarter when we lost contain on watson on a long 3rd down, and then he was off to the races for the rest of the game and we went into a shell on o leaving our d to be run to death

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
iirc, we had them completely stoned until their last possession of the 2nd quarter when we lost contain on watson on a long 3rd down, and then he was off to the races for the rest of the game and we went into a shell on o leaving our d to be run to death
Run 80+ plays and any defense will be sucking wind. Especially those 300+ DTs. Substitute sparingly on offense while playing fast (or at least getting to the line fast) so they cannot sub and watch the fatties slowly die.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Run 80+ plays and any defense will be sucking wind. Especially those 300+ DTs. Substitute sparingly on offense while playing fast (or at least getting to the line fast) so they cannot sub and watch the fatties slowly die.
I hope CNS's TideFans spy is on this! It seems like our most reasonable path to victory!

Joefus

1st Team
Jan 3, 2021
I’d love to see us move metchie to slot and give a young guy like brooks a chance opposite of jamo. We’ll have max 2.5 secs to get the ball out. Those 3 and billingsley having a good game and we can get some first downs if we go fast enough

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Our passing game (led by decent pass pro) is my key to victory Saturday. UGA has only faced one top 50 passing offense this season (Florida), yet has given up over 300 yards passing on four occasions. Three of those 4 times they also gave up over 150 yards rushing as well (UAB, So Carolina, Missouri).

It's possible that a chunk of these passing yards came in garbage time. I haven't watched much UGA this year and have no idea. Some of our UGA friends can help better understand that.

However, make no mistake, Bama is the best team UGA has faced this year. Statistically the best offensive and defensive team. If Bama's OL can give Bryce time to throw, the Tide can score. And if this is a once score game down the stretch, one team is accustomed to the pressure of a tight game. The other????

Reactions: BigAlinKnoxville

Bama Shoals

1st Team
Jan 17, 2007
Killen, AL
Bama cannot turn the ball over, a la the Texas A&M game. Georgia has been locked in some tight games like the Florida game all the way up to right before halftime and then a flurry of Florida turnovers and quick scores led to a route. If Bama keeps the turnovers down, I have a good feeling they can be in it until the end.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Run 80+ plays and any defense will be sucking wind. Especially those 300+ DTs. Substitute sparingly on offense while ast (or at least getting to the line fast) so they cannot sub and watch the fatties slowly die.
I`m not certain at all that that approach is in BOB`s thought process, much less his repertoire. I do agree that we just can`t line up and totally run the same exact playbook. Something`s going to have to be done to help the O line. IMHO mano a mano against UGA`s front seven is suicidal.

Reactions: SkullDuckery

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Yeah, a few quick reads (both runs and quick slant passes) can really help slow down those LBs.

BY is a slight guy - he's just not a large human - so he really isn't built for taking the big shots. That said, he's very quick on quick slant passes, which we seem to run very few, but those quick-hitting pass plays are a great way to relieve pressure.
I’d be happy for a few quick jitters and a dive for three yards. I worry this idea of throwing it away will result in a pick. By the time he decides it’s a lost cause he’s usually fifteen yards behind the line and in a dead sprint for his life. Those are not the ideal accurate football throwing conditions.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
One weakness BY has shown is the seeming inability to throw the ball away rather than take the sack. Sure, some are unavoidable, but when it becomes obvious there's nowhere left to run or no one to dump the pass to, put it in the stands.
He has impossible plays called over and over when it is clear that he is not being given the time to get to a third receiver. Lacking a safety valve and plays designed to back the defense off, the offensive game plan becomes "Bryce make something happen" and he does at a very high rate. This is back to the era of Daboll with Jalen not being developed and Locksley and Tua when Locksley was two thirds out the door. The problem is BOB has been BS all year when he is just passing through. As several have said on here, where is the game plan?

I thought earlier that Golding was the issue but BOB makes him look like a defensive savant. These assistants who are just passing through do untold damage to a program.

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019
I suspect we will have some new wrinkles on offense to get the ball in to space quickly and out of BY’s hands. Hopefully we can break tendencies and shown them something new? Would love to see a fast start and see how Georgia responds playing from behind which is something they have not had to do.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.