Obvious Needs for 2022

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I have stressed this over and over. We have to stop comparing players to what we had in past. Every players are different and bring their own unique skillset to the team.
I hear you...but I am not using this to knock players, but as a means of comparison. The best standard we can use are players that have been here...it is a complement to both.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
He may already be on campus. Barmore and Q Williams come to mind in past players that just took off after some time in the program. But you are right...got to keep recruiting the big bosses on the D Line.
We heard about Barmore as a freshman, he just was unable to see the field for whatever reason. Q was a surprise of sorts, mainly because he switched positions.

Reactions: BearFan

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
He may already be on campus. Barmore and Q Williams come to mind in past players that just took off after some time in the program. But you are right...got to keep recruiting the big bosses on the D Line.
He is and I think Tim Smith will emerge as that guy. Damon Payne is another one (5*) who has not seen the field yet but will soon.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
"Safeties: JB will go pro ...."

I believe the wiser choice for Jordan is to return . Right now , he's projected as a late 2nd round pick and slipping . He may declare , but his play this season has not really been up to the level I think most were expecting .

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Since we've about beat to death our short-comings, I thought we might talk about what we see as the greatest needs as starters for next year, either from our current roster or through recruiting/transfer portal.

Offense:
1. RB -- a dominant one, i.e., big, strong, fast, and agile who can make his own hole and take it the distance. BR is good, but we need another Nagee, DH, Mark Ingram, etc.
2. At least 2 OL -- 1 left tackle and a take charge center.
3. TE -- either Latu and Jahleel have to develop better hands or we need someone else to step up. Every great offense that I have seen has a great TE.

Defense:
1. MLB -- strong enough to take on linemen and fast enough to cover in pass defense, etc. #10 is a really good strong safety playing LB.
2. DT -- we're losing a couple...can never have too many of these.
3. Safeties: JB will go pro and the others are flawed at best. Can Kristen Storey step up and be the answer?
4. CB -- Kool Aid is one; Branch and Moore should be the others. Do we have any recruits coming in who can play immediately?

Special Teams:
1. Punter...

Any thoughts?
Offense
1. If Wheaton comes back fully recovered at RB, he will be a great option. We have the #1 RB in the 2022 class, but he's not a big back type, at least not right now. If the GT kid transfers he will be in the mix for sure
2. I think these guys are already on the roster, they just needed time in the S&C program. McLaughlin actually looked pretty good against Auburn and the other Brockmeyer is right behind him. We have LOTS of options at OT already (Latham and Brockmeyer mostly) and a couple in 2022 on the way as well
3. Outz is going to be pushing hard for PT next year. Latu will hopefully continue to improve. Billingsley likely moves on. in 2022 we have his clone in Skinner coming in and an ATH who is also a tweener WR/TE.

Defense
1. like it or not, #10 is just about the new standard for ILBs, being 6'1" to 6'3" and between 225 and 235. Old school, bigger thumpers are obsolete right now. If 10 and 8 stay, Moody will either move on (being a Sr) or use the covid year to transfer and play his last year somewhere with PT available. Shane Lee might also transfer. Blackshire and Ian Jackson as TF's both look the part already. in 2022 we have two pretty good ones coming in, and will likely add Shemar James. They'll all need a bit of S&C time though.
2. Agree can never have too many, and we need at least two additions in 2022. 3 are committed, but all seem to be projects of sorts although oatis might surprise us. Would be good to get one more. Short term, this is kinda like OL, where I think the answer is already on the roster, just working and getting better, bigger and stronger waiting to emerge next year (Young, Smith, Eboigbe, and Dale could all make big moves before next season).
3. Hellams has been pretty solid also. Behind the starting two we have Branch and Moore along with Story, Smith, Williams and Arnold so feel pretty solid here.
4. CB we absolutely need to add depth and increase competition. One is committed and we're in play for 2-3 more so the staff needs to reel them in...

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Offense
1. If Wheaton comes back fully recovered at RB, he will be a great option. We have the #1 RB in the 2022 class, but he's not a big back type, at least not right now. If the GT kid transfers he will be in the mix for sure
2. I think these guys are already on the roster, they just needed time in the S&C program. McLaughlin actually looked pretty good against Auburn and the other Brockmeyer is right behind him. We have LOTS of options at OT already (Latham and Brockmeyer mostly) and a couple in 2022 on the way as well
3. Outz is going to be pushing hard for PT next year. Latu will hopefully continue to improve. Billingsley likely moves on. in 2022 we have his clone in Skinner coming in and an ATH who is also a tweener WR/TE.

Defense
1. like it or not, #10 is just about the new standard for ILBs, being 6'1" to 6'3" and between 225 and 235. Old school, bigger thumpers are obsolete right now. If 10 and 8 stay, Moody will either move on (being a Sr) or use the covid year to transfer and play his last year somewhere with PT available. Shane Lee might also transfer. Blackshire and Ian Jackson as TF's both look the part already. in 2022 we have two pretty good ones coming in, and will likely add Shemar James. They'll all need a bit of S&C time though.
2. Agree can never have too many, and we need at least two additions in 2022. 3 are committed, but all seem to be projects of sorts although oatis might surprise us. Would be good to get one more. Short term, this is kinda like OL, where I think the answer is already on the roster, just working and getting better, bigger and stronger waiting to emerge next year (Young, Smith, Eboigbe, and Dale could all make big moves before next season).
3. Hellams has been pretty solid also. Behind the starting two we have Branch and Moore along with Story, Smith, Williams and Arnold so feel pretty solid here.
4. CB we absolutely need to add depth and increase competition. One is committed and we're in play for 2-3 more so the staff needs to reel them in...
Great stuff...don't forget about Niblack at that hybrid TE position too!!!

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
We need a center who is smart, big, powerful, mean, and nasty. Basically a Landon Dickerson 2.0. We have seen this year just how much we have missed Dickerson’s play and his leadership. Dude could literally play any position on the O-Line.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I hope we can land Khurtiss Perry. I just watched him thoroughly dominant the 5A championship game against a veteran OL that will send 2 players on to college ball somewhere. He was amazingly quick off the ball. It was Q like.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.