Link: Pickett fake slide leads to touchdown, should this be addressed with a rule?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

I think there has to be something done, this was an intentional egregious misuse of this theme of keeping quarterbacks safe. I agree with the idea that it was a brilliant play by Pickett, but you can’t discount the defenders having to pull up to avoid a penalty. I remember Kordell Stewart do the same heading for the sidelines and then cut up field.

Thoughts?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Smart play, but I agree. The only question is are we going to make it subjective indicators from "body language" (God help us) or make it like a fair catch where they must simply wave their hand be down right then and there (I like a positive sign you are giving yourself up better).
Few will like this but the answer is to remove the ludicrous 'slide' rule. QB tucks and runs and he's fair game like any other player. Don't wanna take the hit? Get OOB or don't run it.

That removes subjectivity from the rule and disallows that sort of garbage play.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Few will like this but the answer is to remove the ludicrous 'slide' rule. QB tucks and runs and he's fair game like any other player. Don't wanna take the hit? Get OOB or don't run it.

That removes subjectivity from the rule and disallows that sort of garbage play.
Well, I mean they can always just fall down and you still can't hit late. The rule either needs ditched or clarified for both safety and sportsmanship.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Smart play, but I agree. The only question is are we going to make it subjective indicators from "body language" (God help us) or make it like a fair catch where they must simply wave their hand and be down right then and there (I like a positive sign you are giving yourself up better).
I like your idea. Either remove the rule altogether and let them play, or have the “fair catch” signal and stop their progress right there. Either works for me.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
They have to work out some sort of fair catch signal/rule here. The idea is if you signal fair catch you can't advance and you can't be hit. It's a clear thing. The "give themselves up" rule where players can't be hit clearly has a loophole. So, you have to close it, seems pretty simple though once a player makes an indication he's giving himself up the play ends there. The rule kind of covers that in that they are actually down at the start of the slide, but somehow he started the slide without being considered as starting the slide.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.