Link: Pickett fake slide leads to touchdown, should this be addressed with a rule?

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I don’t think it’s as egregious as some are suggesting. Is this any different than a player heading to the sidelines to go out of bounds and then suddenly decides to turn it up field? How often does a play like this happen? I think it’s one of those things you need to leave alone unless teams start exploiting it. It’s not like he faked an injury or something…

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don’t think it’s as egregious as some are suggesting. Is this any different than a player heading to the sidelines to go out of bounds and then suddenly decides to turn it up field? How often does a play like this happen? I think it’s one of those things you need to leave alone unless teams start exploiting it. It’s not like he faked an injury or something…
Yes, because there is a specific QB safety rule being leveraged. That makes it different. The sideline is not a safety rule.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Yes, because there is a specific QB safety rule being leveraged. That makes it different. The sideline is not a safety rule.
I agree, but I’m just not seeing it being egregious like people are talking about. To me, it looks like he “thought about” sliding but ultimately kept running. I don’t think he intentionally meant to deceive the defense, but it’s hard to judge intent.

edit: I missed the part where he admitted it. Screw him, Bush League

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I agree, but I’m just not seeing it being egregious like people are talking about. To me, it looks like he “thought about” sliding but ultimately kept running. I don’t think he intentionally meant to deceive the defense, but it’s hard to judge intent.
In the article he says it’s intentional. B1G is right, this is the era of super safety and those guys noticeably pulled up because of the rule.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
He literally admitted to doing it on purpose.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

I think there has to be something done, this was an intentional egregious misuse of this theme of keeping quarterbacks safe. I agree with the idea that it was a brilliant play by Pickett, but you can’t discount the defenders having to pull up to avoid a penalty. I remember Kordell Stewart do the same heading for the sidelines and then cut up field.

Thoughts?
I think we need fewer rules and not more. Get rid of some of the ridiculous rules that act like QBs can't be breathed upon or helmets come in contact during a football game. Get rid of the cheap shots, yes, but let them play. You asked, so that's what I think.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I think we need fewer rules and not more. Get rid of some of the ridiculous rules that act like QBs can't be breathed upon or helmets come in contact during a football game. Get rid of the cheap shots, yes, but let them play. You asked, so that's what I think.
That’s one of the only two realistic options, but this just highlights the absurdity of trying to subjectively judge that move he made.

MILEHIGHTIDE

1st Team
Apr 9, 2011
I posted this exact question in another thread lol. There is no way the conferences, teams, ncaa can allow a fake slide to be used by players. It is not like a fake pass, fake pitch etc. The rules are so strict on late hits ie like a player going down or out of bounds etc and especially regarding hits on defenseless players and qbs in particular slide rule, blindside, headshots etc.. If you saw the game the defender completely stopped an aggressive pursuit of him and if there were not a slide rule in effect he would have probably engaged him. The slide rule is to protect the player not to be used as a decoy much like the fair catch rule.

Reactions: rolltide7854

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I'm with CA. Get rid of the slide rule and problem goes away. Problem is the NFL has the same and college rulemakers may be hesitant to deviate. But it must be addressed. It was a slick move by Pickett but totally unfair to Wake.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
That’s why it’s got to either go away, or have a clear and intentional signal that he’s giving up his ability to move the ball forward.
You can call it the Pickett Fake Rule. Hopefully, he will NOT slide into the Heisman because BY DESERVES the Heisman. Now, I wonder if he had ever practiced that at Pitt.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
More like preparing to slide here imo. The QB leaned back a bit and set up to slide but that was about it. Seems pretty minor to me.
If the defender hit him at that time, it would have been a 15 yard penalty, regardless of Picketts intentions. It Violates the spirit of the rule. it should have been ruled down immediately. You can’t call time out , when everyone stops, call time back in!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.