GT transfer Jahmyr Gibbs - when can he play?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
If he does transfer could he be available for playoffs?
No.
I'm certain the NCAA considers a season to be from first kick-off to the end of the championship game, the calendar year has nothing to do with it.

Also, it would be way out of character for Coach Saban to even accept a player who transfers at this point of the season. Think about what that would do inside the locker room.

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
No.
I'm certain the NCAA considers a season to be from first kick-off to the end of the championship game, the calendar year has nothing to do with it.

Also, it would be way out of character for Coach Saban to even accept a player who transfers at this point of the season. Think about what that would do insidenthenlocker room.
Early enrollees can practice with the team, they have in the past, I wonder if early transfers could play? I just mean within the rules.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Early enrollees can practice with the team, they have in the past, I wonder if early transfers could play? I just mean within the rules.
Agreed, but a college transfer portal is different.
I do not think that a football player moving via the transfer portal can play at the receiving school the same season. Imagine the chaos if that were allowed. Bama puts a player on the Auburn team and then the week before the Iron Bowl, the guy transfers to Alabama. Obviously, the NCAA is not going to allow that kind of competitive advantage.

"NCAA football transfer rules and NCAA basketball transfer rules require D1 players to sit out a season, being red-shirted while attending classes full-time at the new school before being eligible to play. However, it’s not quite that simple. Some exceptions exist even in those situations, and athletes moving between schools in most other sports and between other divisions are often not held to that need to take a year off from playing."

There are exceptions, but those are granted on the NCAA's timeline, not the player's.

Bottom line, there is no way a current Ga Tech player will take a snap for this year's Alabama football team.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The stud QB recruit we had a few years ago with the surfer girlfriend left in midseason. Didn’t he land somewhere and became eligible right away?

MILEHIGHTIDE

1st Team
Apr 9, 2011
The sec just passed a rule this year initially stating that undergraduate transfers from outside of member institutions have immediate eligibility and can participate immediately but there is a caveat and I quote, “ In order for an athlete to be eligible immediately at their school of choice, they must declare their intent to transfer by Feb. 1 for fall sports, May 1 for winter sports and July 1 for spring sports. The athlete does not need to choose his or her destination but must at least be in the transfer portal by those dates.

"The SEC has established a deadline for declaring an intention to transfer in fall sports as February 1 in order to create time windows that are more consistent across fall, winter and spring sports," Sankey said”. “ This was later amended to allow member institution undergraduates as well.

Bowl games used to have different rules allowing early enrollees, transfers etc to practice etc but do not think they were ever allowed to play per se but graduate transfers always seemed to have different rules than undergraduates etc. so if you are bored or would like a job in the compliance office do some research and please let us know. 😉🤓😉 RTR

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Really good info guys! It’s like the question about eligibility was answered in real time. This is a good pick up for us. We’ll need the help next year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.