What’s the state of Georgia’s defense (2021 version)

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Let's not count our chickens before they hatch. The Bearcats are very capable of beating us.

16 starters returning: The defensive line, led by defensive end Myjai Sanders, is very stout. So here's what you need to know: With 16 starters returning, if Cincinnati can go undefeated in the 2021 regular season, the Bearcats have a good chance to be the first Group of Five team to reach the College Football Playoff.Aug 17, 2021

Yes they can and this team has shown one week we look like NC and the next week we are eeking out a win over a .500 team. I wish I could say I know what team is going to show up but I don't. If the team that showed up Sat shows up then we run away from them.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
i remember early in the game when gary was gushing about the jawjuh defense and was talking about davis (their mount cody copy). He was talking about how they wanted him down to 325 lbs to play but he was playing at 350 and how that was just going awesome.

then a while later on bryce's td pass to metchie (the one where he had all day in the pocket and was pointing metchie to a spot), all davis did on that play was stand up. i don't think he even moved.
The way Davis played he is not a high draft pick in today's NFL. I was shocked watching him just basically show no effort on that play.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The way Davis played he is not a high draft pick in today's NFL. I was shocked watching him just basically show no effort on that play.
Watching the replays, I don't see a lot of effort from him at all. In fact, on many of the plays, he's not even in the game. And this guy is up for all the national awards and Will Anderson isn't?

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Watching the replays, I don't see a lot of effort from him at all. In fact, on many of the plays, he's not even in the game. And this guy is up for all the national awards and Will Anderson isn't?
I would think UGA is going to have him do a lot of conditioning over the next 4 weeks. He looked like he was out of shape with the type effort he was giving.

Reactions: The Ols

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
God I know you were having fun yesterday
in my part of the universe, the puppies have been extremely quiet. most of my friends stopped talking about uga vs bama much after 2 and 26, but back in october at our god daughter's birthday party (after the a and m debacle), some of my uga friends smugly asked who i thought was going to win it all. i told them bama would beat jawjuh in the seccg and then again in the final, if they happen to make it past the semis. they chortled and told me that saban's time is over, the game has passed him.

i have resisted the urge to reach out to them this week.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
in my part of the universe, the puppies have been extremely quiet. most of my friends stopped talking about uga vs bama much after 2 and 26, but back in october at our god daughter's birthday party (after the a and m debacle), some of my uga friends smugly asked who i thought was going to win it all. i told them bama would beat jawjuh in the seccg and then again in the final, if they happen to make it past the semis. they chortled and told me that saban's time is over, the game has passed him.

i have resisted the urge to reach out to them this week.
I thought of you and @DzynKingRTR when I was scrolling my photos and saw this.
FD77FCFE-BB85-49FF-BA6C-18016B159CE2.jpeg

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
I was wondering what kind of offenses UGA had played in the regular season, so I looked up the offenses on their schedule.

UGA
1. Florida 11
2. Tennessee 16
3. Arkansas 30
4. Kentucky 40
5. Missouri 59
6. Auburn 62
7. Ga. Tech 92
8. Clemson 95
9. S. Carolina 116
10. Vanderbilt 119

Bama
1. Ole Miss 4
2. Florida 11
3. Tennessee 16
4. MIss. St. 22
5. Miami 23
6. Arkansas 30
7. Auburn 62
8. Texas A&M 72
9. LSU 87

Before the SEC Championship game, UGA averaged giving up 231 yards per game, while Bama averaged giving up 294 yards per game. UGA's defense held their opponents to 151.5 yards below their average, while Bama held their opponents to 111.3 yards below their average. BTW, I only included P5 opponents.

I was bored and had time on my hands today, so here's some information. :)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I was wondering what kind of offenses UGA had played in the regular season, so I looked up the offenses on their schedule.

UGA
1. Florida 11
2. Tennessee 16
3. Arkansas 30
4. Kentucky 40
5. Missouri 59
6. Auburn 62
7. Ga. Tech 92
8. Clemson 95
9. S. Carolina 116
10. Vanderbilt 119

Bama
1. Ole Miss 4
2. Florida 11
3. Tennessee 16
4. MIss. St. 22
5. Miami 23
6. Arkansas 30
7. Auburn 62
8. Texas A&M 72
9. LSU 87

Before the SEC Championship game, UGA averaged giving up 231 yards per game, while Bama averaged giving up 294 yards per game. UGA's defense held their opponents to 151.5 yards below their average, while Bama held their opponents to 111.3 yards below their average. BTW, I only included P5 opponents.

I was bored and had time on my hands today, so here's some information. :)
I still say had they faced Ole Miss then Coral would have lit them up. Alot of people look at scored amongst common opponents but it really isn’t a good basis of opinion. Actually watching the game helps better.

Against Arkansas, Georgia really pulled away early because of a blocked punt and a couple of special teams plays. Arkansas really never got off the bus.

Against Auburn… they struggled like us most of the game. The biggest stat that no one brought up… Auburn had 13 dropped passes.

Against Tennessee, they did what we did but it was clear our offense was vastly superior

Against Florida, they actually played worse vs Florida than us. But Florida self destructed prior to halftime and effectively started to quit on Mullen.

We were always truly better than Georgia but their cupcake diet gave people the false impression of them being the juggernaut.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Just for discussion, not meant to overlook Cincy by any means, IF it turns out we play UGA again, I wonder what, if anything, they will scheme to do differently on D. It`s been observed that they didn`t employ the same blitz schemes as AU and LSU. That would be a good place to start. They were more effective when they sent their LBs if I recall.

Reactions: FaninLA

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Just for discussion, not meant to overlook Cincy by any means, IF it turns out we play UGA again, I wonder what, if anything, they will scheme to do differently on D. It`s been observed that they didn`t employ the same blitz schemes as AU and LSU. That would be a good place to start. They were more effective when they sent their LBs if I recall.
I forget who all said it besides Roman and Jordan but there were quiet a few that said that Georgia’s Defensive line isn’t the Sack Attack that people try to make them out to be and required blitzing to do it.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I forget who all said it besides Roman and Jordan but there were quiet a few that said that Georgia’s Defensive line isn’t the Sack Attack that people try to make them out to be and required blitzing to do it.
That would appear to be the case if the game was any indication. Knowing that, it would interesting to know how the staff would plan for that the next time around. If the LBs are sent, there ought to be a way to make them pay for that.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.