Early Signing Period being discussed, to possibly be shelved

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

JayBama_in_PCOLA

All-American
Oct 2, 2020
Andalusia (living in Pace/Pensacola, Fl)
Reactions: dtgreg and CraigD

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I think the early signing period has been good for the sport. t has calmed down the lunacy surrounding recruiting just a little bit, which is a good thing IMO. To changes this just because of the schools that fire their coach is short sighted. You fire your guy, then tough luck, deal with the consequences. Don't punish the rest of us for your dumb choices.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
The signing period should've never been in December/Feburary... It's better to do it in August.. sign players before school starts.. get it out of the way. No recuiting distractions during season.

Reactions: oskie

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
The signing period should've never been in December/Feburary... It's better to do it in August.. sign players before school starts.. get it out of the way. No recuiting distractions during season.
I agree that December might not be the best time, but August might open up it's own set of issues.

IMO, it seems risky (for both parties) to put ink to paper before a kid's senior season even starts.

Just a thought :)

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I'm thinking the coaches would need to weigh in on when the best time would be... :unsure:

August is during Fall Camp, the last thing they need to be doing is recruiting during that time.:cool:

Reactions: JayBama_in_PCOLA

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
I think the early signing period has been good for the sport. t has calmed down the lunacy surrounding recruiting just a little bit, which is a good thing IMO. To changes this just because of the schools that fire their coach is short sighted. You fire your guy, then tough luck, deal with the consequences. Don't punish the rest of us for your dumb choices.
I don't think it's calmed down anything. We now have players entering the portal during the season to try to secure a new spot before early signing day, we have coaches being fired and leaving before the season is over to try to get someone/someplace else before early signing day, we have current athletes being left in the lurch with no cohesive coaching staff/game plan during bowl season.

There should be some sort of window for hiring & firing and a window for the transfer portal. Once national signing day happens (not in December) scholarships should be honored and the transfer window is closed. If a player quits after that, tough - he can't sign anywhere else and you've got a scholarship for a walk-on or unsigned player. If a coach quits after that, tough - he sits out a season. Will any of this ever happen? No, because we will NEVER have a cohesive governing body for college football.

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
Seems that the February signing date was better for everyone. Although there were still coaching changes that happened after signing day even then. Maybe move it up to the third week in January or something.

Never mind on that...doesn't account for early enrollees.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Seems that the February signing date was better for everyone. Although there were still coaching changes that happened after signing day even then. Maybe move it up to the third week in January or something.

Never mind on that...doesn't account for early enrollees.
Plus it takes away from prep time for NC games... :cool:

Reactions: Bama9001

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
If they move early signing day to early January why have it at all because regular signing day is just a month later? As usual the NZZA trying to screw up everything again

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
Another saban rule, good lord. Never forget the law of unintended consequences. You make a rule or law to stop this or that, and human nature says, no so fast my friend. Comes back to bite you in your booty.

MILEHIGHTIDE

1st Team
Apr 9, 2011
Early signing period change being discussed, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby says
https://www.al.com/recruiting/2021/...sed-big-12-commissioner-bob-bowlsby-says.html

Seemingly the schools are in panic mode because of coaching changes. Alabama and Saban lap the field again.
I remember when duck hunting, koala bear cuddling, and american idol, were all hot ncaa recruiting rules topics as well. Saban has shown over the years he can adapt pretty much better than every other ncaa coach.

Reactions: JayBama_in_PCOLA

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Move the day before college and high school seasons start and we have a winner. Let kids play their last high school seasons while already signed.....no stress for players, no stress the coaches.

I mean why not....once they get on campus they can transfer out whenever they want anyway.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Move the day before college and high school seasons start and we have a winner. Let kids play their last high school seasons while already signed.....no stress for players, no stress the coaches.

I mean why not....once they get on campus they can transfer out whenever they want anyway.
To make that work and not mess up Fall Camp, you would have to make the entire month of August a Dead Period... :cool:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.