Players possibly returning for 2022

gymcoach

1st Team
Dec 6, 2006
I know we still have one, very possible two games but was just reading the All SEC team that just came out and started thinking about this. Do you guys think the following guys come back or end up declaring for the draft?
Offense
Metchie
Defense
Battle
Harris
To’oTo’o
From what I have seen in draft projections non of these guys are getting first round grades and with the NIL rule it wouldn’t be a bad idea to try to improve their draft positions.

Last edited:
Reactions: seebell and dtgreg

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Alabama football stars in Mel Kiper’s 2022 NFL draft big board (usatoday.com)
  • Jordan Battle, S. (Photo by Kevin C. ...
  • Josh Jobe, CB. (AP Photo/John Amis) ...
  • Christian Harris, ILB. (AP Photo/Vasha Hunt) ...
  • Phidarian Mathis, DT. Gary Cosby Jr.-USA TODAY Sports. ...
  • Evan Neal, OT. Mark J. ...
  • Jahleel Billingsley, TE. ...
  • John Metchie III, WR. ...
  • Jameson Williams, WR.
Jobe- Depends on grade, but I think he gone. 50/50
Battle- Gone. Played well
Harris-Gone. Played well
Mathis-Gone Played well
Neal-Gone Played well
Billingsley- Back Cost himself money. Either he come back or he transfer
Metchie-Gone. Played extremely well. Unlikely back
WIlliams-Gone played well.
Too'Too-Gone Played well.

1st round isn't always a sure thing. If they had stayed all 4 years, likely some of them wouldn't get 1st grade.. Neal is a sure shot, Mathis too and Metchie/Williams are late 1st round but anything can happen.

• Crying
Reactions: REDSEA and dtgreg

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
  • Jameson Williams, WR.
Harris-Gone. Played well
Mathis-Gone Played well
Neal-Gone Played well

1st round isn't always a sure thing. If they had stayed all 4 years, likely some of them wouldn't get 1st grade.. Neal is a sure shot, Mathis too and Metchie/Williams are late 1st round but anything can happen.
I've been right about the draft more often than Mel Kiper...I would say what I think about him but that might require me to type words I don't say. Every time I hear him speak he reminds me of a Biblical character...Balaam's ass who spoke. (Numbers 22).

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
  • Jameson Williams, WR.
Harris-Gone. Played well
Mathis-Gone Played well
Neal-Gone Played well

Jobe and Mathis are Seniors

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Harris-Gone. Played well
Mathis-Gone Played well
Neal-Gone Played well

I think the best shots of coming back that you mentioned are Billingsley, Jobe and Harris. The rest I agree are gone. I think Harris is the least likely to stay of those 3 but I think there is an outside shot he comes back.

I guess I could see Metchie and To'o To'o coming back but I'm not sure either is capable of raising their stock beyond what it is right now. So maybe if one or both really wants another year for some reason like some guys in the past have I guess its possible.

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
They have to declare by January 17th, one week after the championship game. Every year we have a bunch of sure first rounders and then half end up actually going in the first round.

Just a few short weeks ago many were convinced that our inside linebackers were just bad, very bad. Now they're considered 1st round picks? They absolutely did play lights out against UGA. Toto doesn't look physically ready yet. Don't see either as first rounders yet (consistency) but both could get there.

Metchie is a really, really good receiver but don't see him as first rounder. Williams will get a first round grade by many (speed) but his game is lacking in what he'll be asked to do most often in the NFL...get open and catch mid range contested passes (Metchie does this very well).

Jobe's decision to have his surgery now probably means he's getting ready for the combine. Neal is definitely gone. Billingsley, who knows.

I wish that the NFL/NBA would just let these guys develop in college. The game at both levels would be so much better and there would be far fewer draft busts.

Reactions: Rush

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
My opinion on sure fire 1st round picks from this year's team, who would be eligible for the 2022 draft:

Neal, J. Williams, Mathis

I don't see any others. Am I missing something?
I wouldn't say Mathis is a surefire first round pick by any stretch. Barmore didn't go in the first and I think he has more raw athletic ability than Mathis. Regardless, big phil is gonna be gone. He's had a great year for us.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I wouldn't say Mathis is a surefire first round pick by any stretch. Barmore didn't go in the first and I think he has more raw athletic ability than Mathis. Regardless, big phil is gonna be gone. He's had a great year for us.
Good point. I think in retrospect, Barmore should have been a 1st rounder. Similar to Derrick Henry.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
In addition to draft losses, we also have to consider the portal now. I would not be shocked to see some Juniors and Seniors, who would be in backup roles, transferring out to get a chance at a starting opportunity elsewhere

Reactions: The Ols

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Great point - agree with it all. Mathis actually put up slightly better numbers, but Barmore made his mark against an all-SEC schedule so that's a bit tougher road. I guess I look at it as there's not likely anything Mathis could do more, or better, with an extra season that would advance his draft stock.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.