Gene Chizik to coach Birmingham USFL team.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The guy is an outstanding analyst and also a very good defensive coordinator (2004 Auburn and 2005 Texas).

He can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag as the head coach.

I doubt a spring league has any chance anymore. Remember, when the USFL began in 1983:
- the NBA was just beginning its growth
- hockey was solely a northern game
- March Madness was really just beginning to become a thing, too
- baseball wasn't on 7 days a week save for on WTBS and WGN

All of those will cut into the overall desired audience. Plus, in 1983, the USFL had the good fortune to start after an NFL strike had gutted 1/2 of the regular season so there was more of a "hunger" for football. Also - the NFL wasn't nearly as big in 1983 as it is now, even though it was the #1 sport in America.

I could be wrong - I'd be glad to be wrong - but I just don't think spring football is going to cut it. You have to have time away from a sport and miss it to come back with more interest/emotion the next year (generally speaking).

I'm with Gray here - rent a small apartment with a month-to-month lease.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I wonder if the hotels and other vendors will require cash up front on all orders and reservations from people and players associated with this enterprise. Didn't the last league default on money they owed to everybody and their grandmother?
Yeah, there's been a definite pattern with USFL owners who stiff people for completed work and then declare bankruptcy.

• Haha
Reactions: Crimson1967

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I just don’t see this working. NFL Europe was mostly an American based league its first two years but it didn’t pan out.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.