Let's Talk About the Elephant in the Room: OC Play Calling and Receiver Development

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Bad offensive coordinator, bad injuries, and a young team. We overachieved. It sucks that we lost a NCG and lost it to Georgia of all people, but life goes on. Us and Ohio St will be the clear favorites targeting LA for next January. Georgia is going to finally feel what it feels like with a gut full of rat poison and everyone gunning for you. Congrats to @DawgAlum2054 you have been a fun fan to talk football with and I hope you enjoy your moment.

Already planning my vacation to San Antonio to stay for the Texas game in September. Rtr

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
Bad offensive coordinator, bad injuries, and a young team. We overachieved. It sucks that we lost a NCG and lost it to Georgia of all people, but life goes on. Us and Ohio St will be the clear favorites targeting LA for next January. Georgia is going to finally feel what it feels like with a gut full of rat poison and everyone gunning for you. Congrats to @DawgAlum2054 you have been a fun fan to talk football with and I hope you enjoy your moment.

Already planning my vacation to San Antonio to stay for the Texas game in September. Rtr
You do know that the Texas game will be in Austin.... right? Its about an hour and half drive between them

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

jawjuh’s 2022 schedule makes their 2021 schedule look like a meat grinder

tideindc

2nd Team
Jan 2, 2015
I think BOB is a fine offensive coach. He’s no Sark or Kiffin, but who is. As much as he’s been hated, we forget it was still his gameplan and playcalling that gave us our first QB Heisman. BY is a generational talent, but BOB still got him there. I still want him gone.

My problem with him is purely stylistic. His balance always seems to be off, he never brings anything unexpected to the table, and we’ve struggled to convert in the red zone. None of those issues are new, they were just exacerbated by the championship game because of the caliber of D we were facing.

I also realize he was hamstrung all season by a bad OL and a thin RB room. But nearly every game we’d hit a point where we start finding success with the run game, we’d get to the goal line, he’d call 3 straight passes that didn’t work, then we’d kick a fg. I think a perfect example was our opening drive of the 2nd half on Monday. It was the only time of the game BRob got cooking. He rips off multiple chunk runs, gets pulled, BOB calls 5 straight screen plays, drive stalls and the offense never got back into rhythm.

I’d compare BOB to Daboll. No one on this board liked Daboll when he was here, but his system has turned Josh Allen into an elite QB, and now he’s a top head coach candidate. Why didn’t he work out here? Because his system is better for NFL style of talent, and he couldn’t find a way to seamlessly fit it to the pieces he had.

I wish BOB no ill and think he played a fine hand for what he was dealt. I just don’t think he’s the right fit here. And if CNS disagrees with me, then I have no issues giving him another year to see what he can do with a full cupboard.
Dabol also had Hurts at qb until the second half of Georgia. Jalen was not much of a passer at that point.

Reactions: JDCrimson

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
My problem with him is purely stylistic. His balance always seems to be off, he never brings anything unexpected to the table, and we’ve struggled to convert in the red zone. None of those issues are new, they were just exacerbated by the championship game because of the caliber of D we were facing.
This is not true statistically with > 70% TD percentage prior to the championship game, and is quite understandably exacerbated by the rash of injuries.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I don't see anything wrong with the OC, did you see him have a total meltdown in the press box when Billingsley missed that red zone pass. That play set the tone for the game in my opinion. If we had scored there I feel like we would have found a way to win. We did run more against them this time but there is no way we were going to bowl over that defensive line in the red zone. That was more or less an NFL defensive line. So it was air or nothing.

I do think it's fair to question Holmon Wiggins on why Hall, Brooks and Holden were not better prepared, why Javon Baker hasn't progressed, I mean Jameson Williams and John Metchie were both awesome when we got them. the rest were underperformers so you can't ignore who the coach is.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't see anything wrong with the OC, did you see him have a total meltdown in the press box when Billingsley missed that red zone pass. That play set the tone for the game in my opinion. If we had scored there I feel like we would have found a way to win. We did run more against them this time but there is no way we were going to bowl over that defensive line in the red zone. That was more or less an NFL defensive line. So it was air or nothing.

I do think it's fair to question Holmon Wiggins on why Hall, Brooks and Holden were not better prepared, why Javon Baker hasn't progressed, I mean Jameson Williams and John Metchie were both awesome when we got them. the rest were underperformers so you can't ignore who the coach is.
Nothing replaces game reps and those kids did not get any. How do blame that on the position coach? Wiggins is an excellent WR coach and Alabama will miss him when he leaves.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I go back and forth on this day by day.

The only one I'm really negative on is Marrone. I do not know how long Pendry consulted this season, whether he was there all along, or came in after the Auburn game, but I know as soon as we started hearing that Pendry was involved, that OL improved leaps and bounds.

I do not know Marrone's history. Maybe this season was an anomaly in his career. But something has to change with that OL.

I don't like O'Brien, but he did not have an awful year. We were just really bad in the most critical of situations, like in the redzone, particularly inside the 10 yd line, in the NC game.

WRs? Yeah I agree more development is needed but B1G is absolutely correct that the greatest amount of development happens with live game reps. The young guys did not get that at all this season.

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
Nothing replaces game reps and those kids did not get any. How do blame that on the position coach? Wiggins is an excellent WR coach and Alabama will miss him when he leaves.
I agree, and probably why no game rep's is the way they prepare and practice

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
1. Established coach over potential coach? Kellen Moore, Byron Leftwich.. or a coach who has led his NFL team to playoff often?

2. When he's not dealing with personnel power, he's actually a good coach.

In six-plus seasons as coach of the Texans, O’Brien was part of building a successful program but in his final two seasons as general manager oversaw controversial moves that led to an 0-4 start in 2020, putting behind him the fact that up until then he’d compiled a 52-44 record with four AFC South titles in Houston.
I think right now it's either Leftwich or BOB.. but I think it's going to BOB.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.