Let's Talk About the Elephant in the Room: OC Play Calling and Receiver Development

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
You could say that about 90% nfl hires. It’s usually a “ill take your trash and you’ll take mine” type league.
Additionally, you just canned a guy you paid a zillion dollars to coach before the season ended that had no NFL experience. BoB or Leftwich have to be 1a or 1b, BoB having the years in New England and years of at least marginal success with the Texans.

BoB is the safest hire for Kahn.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Additionally, you just canned a guy you paid a zillion dollars to coach before the season ended that had no NFL experience. BoB or Leftwich have to be 1a or 1b, BoB having the years in New England and years of at least marginal success with the Texans.

Navigate these early years, then toss him if he wants to shift into a higher gear, or keep him if the ceiling gets shifted dramatically higher. Whatever he does he needs to keep him out of the front office.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Now, don't get me wrong... I thought BOB had brillant games at times...and then he called games that was very questionable. I do know that not all is on BOB... some is on Young and his changing plays at LOS... and some is on BOB for never really adjusting throughout the game. If something is working, stick with it. He struggle to understand that concept.

In a way, I wish BOB learned to spread the ball around, but at same time, feature our best players, similar to what Sark did. The concept, the book, the whole thing was set up by Kiffin, Sark, Daboll and Locksley... All BOB had to do was take little here and there.. and make it his own identify and he never did. I truly wish He incorporated more concepts in Alabama offense that allow Robinson to truly play at his strength. We ran lot of zone offense.. and I understand why, but we should've tried something different. He didn't use oribit motion until late in the season. He relied on WR screen pass little too much. We didn't have much depth behind the starter... We didn't use Rollout passes, quick passes often.

If BOB came back for second year with Young, Offense wasn't going to change in offseason.. or at least improve.. BOB is predictable. He is older dude that isn't likely to change his style to fit Alabama offense.

We need a OC that is young, ready to adjust if needed ( Kiffin, Sark) and can develop a qb, (Kiffin and sark), but creative in playcalling....

We need a OL coach that will preach physicality, mental toughness and finishing . Those two are our biggest issues.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I think people are becoming very hesitant on hiring OC's who coached Brady. None of them have been successful HCs. But Khan is probably going to pick BoB or Leftwhich, and depending on how soon he wants the hire to happen will probably signal which choice he makes. Leftwich is probably the preferred choice but it could be weeks before he gets to talk to him.
I'd be willing to bet BoB will be the OC when all is said and done next year
BoB is most likely gone regardless of Jacksonville. There are just a ton of NFL jobs opened up with desperate teams. Aside from Harbaugh and Daboll there arent that many rockstar hires to potentially be made right now. BoB will probably get a pass for the Texans because the organization was stupid in making him a GM and just look at his in game results (which are good to slighly above average most of the time) He is and always will be a NFL coach. If he somehow returns to Alabama next year then I guarantee you that alot of his play book is incinerated (ie the swing pass). He is a good NFL coach but a mediocre to bad college offensive coach. Everyone that is giving him kudos for having a Heisman really needs to start listing OCs with heisman winners. After you get out of from Kiffin and Sark you really start hitting the Ensmingers and Macs of the world then you start getting flooded with the Lonnie Galloways, Cale Gundys, and Phil Montgomerys of the world. Very few Heismans are made by an OC. Bryce Young isnt one of them.

Reactions: TIDE-HSV and CB4

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think people are becoming very hesitant on hiring OC's who coached Brady. None of them have been successful HCs. But Khan is probably going to pick BoB or Leftwhich, and depending on how soon he wants the hire to happen will probably signal which choice he makes. Leftwich is probably the preferred choice but it could be weeks before he gets to talk to him.

BoB is most likely gone regardless of Jacksonville. There are just a ton of NFL jobs opened up with desperate teams. Aside from Harbaugh and Daboll there arent that many rockstar hires to potentially be made right now. BoB will probably get a pass for the Texans because the organization was stupid in making him a GM and just look at his in game results (which are good to slighly above average most of the time) He is and always will be a NFL coach. If he somehow returns to Alabama next year then I guarantee you that alot of his play book is incinerated (ie the swing pass). He is a good NFL coach but a mediocre to bad college offensive coach. Everyone that is giving him kudos for having a Heisman really needs to start listing OCs with heisman winners. After you get out of from Kiffin and Sark you really start hitting the Ensmingers and Macs of the world then you start getting flooded with the Lonnie Galloways, Cale Gundys, and Phil Montgomerys of the world. Very few Heismans are made by an OC. Bryce Young isnt one of them.
Leftwich interview is tomorrow.

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell

SkinnyFats

1st Team
Sep 5, 2021
That's fine, I've no problem with it. If another team can beat Bama by 50, by all means, go for it.

I've long been frustrated with Saban's 'fairness' approach, as it feels like it limits development of younger players. When Bama is up by 20+ and starts subbing in younger / less experienced guys, having them run basic 'off tackle' plays instead of continuing to run the offense limits the experience, imo. We may well have had some (very talented) guys ready to come off the bench and play better Monday night had they seen some legitimate work during the season.

Maybe not, easy to second guess, I get that - but...
I’m puzzled by this as well. I go back to the season when Tua came in at halftime vs UGA and won the game for us. That season, during mop-up time, he was flinging td after td when he got the chance. And a lot of those were to other freshman. He wasn’t just handing off the football. That’s why so many of us were saying “we gotta get Tua into this game” during the first half of the natty - it was clear what he could do. We had seen it all season.

Seems the last couple of years all the backups do is run out the clock. Maybe they’re getting developed during practice, but it doesn’t seem to be happening during the games. I shudder to think what we’d have looked like Monday night if the 2nd string QB had to enter the game.

Last edited:

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I’m puzzled by this as well. I go back to the season when Tua came in at halftime vs UGA and won the game for us. That season, during mop-up time, he was flinging td after td when he got the chance. And a lot of those were to other freshman. He wasn’t just handing off the football. That’s why so many of us were saying “we gotta get Tua into this game” during the first half of the natty - it was clear what he could do. We had seen it all season.

Seems the last couple of years all the backups do is run out the clock. Maybe they’re getting developed during practice, but it doesn’t seem to be happening during the games. I shudder to think what we’d have looked like Monday night if the 2nd string QB had to enter the game.
This is one area I wish he would change as well……… the media might whine but let them

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
We won't hear anything until later this week... I think Jacksonville is probably making a hire later this weekend.

I think Houston will hire Flores, if they get assure that Watson stays with Texans. Jacksonville needs an experienced coach to clean up this mess Jacksonville has right now. I don't think Carolina panthers will hire BOB...

But if he doesn't get the HC job, I would say he could be back with us for this fall, but if he is, he really need and I stress the word "NEED" to work on several things such as improving playcalling, understand what orbit zone is, using motion on presnap.... and learning to trust the players more.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
If BOB leaves...I hope CNS has Joe Brady's agent on speed dial.
Why so obessed with Joe Brady? I never really understood that. Is it because he helped LSU win the championship? His offense isn't fancy. He's another Bill O' Brien 2.0 but upgraded version.

He's a bright offensive mind but he's very young. Sometimes young coaches that are extremely smart, outsmart themselves. They play too much into the analytics, they're super conservative and run a vanilla offense. There's nothing complex about Brady's scheme. It's very basic, which is why he struggled to have positive results. In this league, you can't be predictable. You have to throw in a bunch of motions, double moves, RPO's, rub routes, and present the defense with some eye candy pre-snap. From what I can tell, 90% of the motions are just to expose if the defense is in man or zone coverage. There are very few motions into routes, blocks, or once again, eye candy. Getting the eyes of the defense to have their eyes in the wrong place could be the difference between a two-yard gain or a 20-yard gain.
A Look at Why the Joe Brady Experiment Failed - Sports Illustrated Carolina Panthers News, Analysis and More

• Thank You
Reactions: bamadwain

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
One of the biggest reasons I believe the Brady/Panthers marriage didn't last long is because of Brady's experience calling plays. A lot of people forget that he wasn't the offensive coordinator at LSU, he was the passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach, thus meaning he has never had full control of an offense before. Looking back on it, you could argue that those star players that he had at LSU were the sole reason he earned an opportunity with Rhule and the Panthers in the first place. Sometimes players make a coach look better than he really is.

Reactions: CrimsonEyeshade

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
A lot of buzz that Leftwich was very impressive in his interview. Trent Baalke (GM) is pushing for an experienced NFL head coach (O’Brien, Pederson, or Caldwell…most thinking O’Brien being his first choice). Most pushback on O’Brien is coming from a vocal fan base because of O’Brien’s ham-fisted GM decisions at Houston.
Kahn, the owner, is in a tough spot. Some thought he was going to can Baalke at the same time or soon after sending Urban on his way. But he chose to keep Baalke, a very unpopular decision with the fan base. Give the fans what they want go with a hot assistant like Leftwich (or Bienemy as some suggested) or go with your GM and possibly alienate your fan base even further?
This thing is such a cluster that most of the folks (local sports writers, NFL network reporters, etc.) haven’t a clue what anyone within the Jacksonville organization is thinking.
But should we be surprised? They did HIRE Urban Meyer.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
A lot of buzz that Leftwich was very impressive in his interview. Trent Baalke (GM) is pushing for an experienced NFL head coach (O’Brien, Pederson, or Caldwell…most thinking O’Brien being his first choice). Most pushback on O’Brien is coming from a vocal fan base because of O’Brien’s ham-fisted GM decisions at Houston.
Kahn, the owner, is in a tough spot. Some thought he was going to can Baalke at the same time or soon after sending Urban on his way. But he chose to keep Baalke, a very unpopular decision with the fan base. Give the fans what they want go with a hot assistant like Leftwich (or Bienemy as some suggested) or go with your GM and possibly alienate your fan base even further?
This thing is such a cluster that most of the folks (local sports writers, NFL network reporters, etc.) haven’t a clue what anyone within the Jacksonville organization is thinking.
Leftwich is good, but is he ready to take a bad Jag team and turn them into 6 wins team? He doesn't have the experience to do that.

BOB has the ability to turn 1 or 2 wins team into solid 7 or 8 wins team just like that. Leftwich would be a good fit with Pathers.

One thing to note: BOB does not want personnel decisions this time. He just want to coach. That's a selling point.

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
We won't hear anything until later this week... I think Jacksonville is probably making a hire later this weekend.

I think Houston will hire Flores, if they get assure that Watson stays with Texans. Jacksonville needs an experienced coach to clean up this mess Jacksonville has right now. I don't think Carolina panthers will hire BOB...

But if he doesn't get the HC job, I would say he could be back with us for this fall, but if he is, he really need and I stress the word "NEED" to work on several things such as improving playcalling, understand what orbit zone is, using motion on presnap.... and learning to trust the players more.
I believe with a better oline and not a depleted running back room he will be better

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'd predict the Jaguars won't be in Jacksonville in 5-10 years anyway.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.