Jay Barker Arrested

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Man...You just never know, do you?

Here's where we DO have to be careful.

Several months ago you had You Tube babe and Bald Headed Geek in a DV altercation that ultimately ended up with both of them dead. I had NO PROBLEM myself speculating the likely outcome of that while hoping it wasn't true. But I didn't KNOW until we had confirmation from forensics what exactly had happened until we heard it. Even the fact she was strangled did not NECESSARILY mean he did it - I just means she was strangled.

Likewise here. We are hearing things but we also have to remember that we sometimes hear the entire story that has parts unknown to people in the story at the time of their actions. We also have people who know how to use the media to get out a particular narrative - and remember that certain narratives have templates with monetary value.

If a guy is homeless, the story is always "better" if he's a veteran.
If someone was abused as a child, that angle is often invoked as somehow relevant even if it isn't.
Cop shoots unarmed person is played completely different depending on both the race and the gender of the person.

We could go on with this.

Sara Evans doing what Barker is alleged to have done?

I don't know for sure if that story would even have made the news to be honest with you. It's harder to say since both are celebrities. But do you believe for one moment if Tiger Woods's WIFE had been the one to wreck the SUV that they interrupt the Iron Bowl to tell us? That wouldn't have happened even if it was Tom Brady's wife and she's pretty famous.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
Sounds like she was ,is, cheating on ole Jay. I wouldn't be surprised if she baited JB into this so she can make Jay look like the bad guy . She gets the focus off of her , and some justification and sympathy for her cheating. You don't want to damage her sangin career,says her PR guy.

Bill from NYC

Scout Team
Dec 24, 2020
It sounds to me as if the police handled this perfectly, and I have just a bit of experience in these matters.

Many do not realize that police officers are afforded zero flexibility in most of these cases. Attempting to run someone down with a vehicle is not something police officers are allowed to overlook, let alone much smaller offenses. Things changed across the country after the OJ case. In NYC, they changed drastically in a matter of a few weeks.

Now for some speculation: I would say that there is a 90% chance that alcohol was involved, which it is in a big majority of cases. He was arrested approx. 4 hours after the alleged incident, right? There was ample time for some of the alcohol to have worn off. Also, he could have decided to drink AFTER he left the scene, thus no arrest.

And, here is a little secret about alcohol:
If a person is a consistent drinker, it is almost a given that the most out of character, wildest things they have done in life were done while consuming alcohol.
If a person is a virtual non-drinker, the wildest, most out of character things they have done in life ALSO were done while consuming alcohol more often than not.

Now, they were all out until 1:30 AM. Jay, who happened to be at the home of his ex and sees her with a "friend" (which the "friend" thing could possibly be true). My guess is that it will be a bit dificult for Jay's lawyer to come up with a plausible defense for him, but of course I wasn't there.

The above is just an educated guess, but I will say again that it sounds to me like the officers on the scene and their supervisors did a fine job.

I also wish to compliment Jay for not fighting the police officers. He is probably a very tough guy and there would have been quite a few injuries if he had done so.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaulD and seebell

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Jay saved himself for marriage all the way through his college days, and I bet the quarterback for the 92 team had his chances with the girls. With his second marriage now coming apart, I’ve wondered if he ever had any regrets.

It is sad when somebody is so carried away with someone else that they would put themselves in legal jeopardy by acting out when things go bad.

Sara made herself a champion of traditional marriage…now I guess we get a traditional “country and western” style divorce. I hope she doesn’t rub it in with a hit song about how broken-hearted she is.

Reactions: Toddrn and seebell

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
"Tried to run someone down" is pretty dang broad. Was ANYTHING hit, I mean anything...mail box, shrubs, curb...anything? Just cause someone leaves in a hurry, don't mean they were trying to run something over. I've thrown some gravel and caught second gear while angry a time or two in my life. Don't mean i was "trying" to run someone down. There's 3 sides to every story.

Reactions: bamabelle1991

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Looking back, the John Madden thread about his death had 39 Posts.

This thread is getting very close to Henry Ruggs territory.

Both of those stories were genuine tragedies. (Madden’s death not really a tragedy but you get the point).
This one feels more like water cooler gossip at the moment. If for no other reason, no one knows anything other than some fairly vague statements on a police report.

But as normal, this seems to be splitting up based on how one’s marriage history went. ;)

• Thank You
Reactions: Relayer

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
When you're talking about a marriage that is flaming out there can be wide gaps between perception and reality. I'm not even going to speculate as to the validity of these charges, because I wasn't there and I certainly was not in Barkers head. I just hope for his sake, Sara's sake, and for all the family that they can find a way out of this without scorching the earth. Everybody loses when that happens.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
"Tried to run someone down" is pretty dang broad. Was ANYTHING hit, I mean anything...mail box, shrubs, curb...anything? Just cause someone leaves in a hurry, don't mean they were trying to run something over. I've thrown some gravel and caught second gear while angry a time or two in my life. Don't mean i was "trying" to run someone down. There's 3 sides to every story.
It’s not clear if Sara was in a car when this happened or standing outside. It’s hard to run somebody down when they are in a vehicle. My impression has been Sara and her friend were in a car when the incident happened, but if so, the charge doesn’t fit. Was he trying to ram her car?

Reactions: gman4tide

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
When you're talking about a marriage that is flaming out there can be wide gaps between perception and reality. I'm not even going to speculate as to the validity of these charges, because I wasn't there and I certainly was not in Barkers head. I just hope for his sake, Sara's sake, and for all the family that they can find a way out of this without scorching the earth. Everybody loses when that happens.
If history serves as any indicator based on the breakups of their previous marriages (in both cases), I would say prepare the fire extinguishers and have the fire department on speed dial.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It’s not clear if Sara was in a car when this happened or standing outside. It’s hard to run somebody down when they are in a vehicle. My impression has been Sara and her friend were in a car when the incident happened, but if so, the charge doesn’t fit. Was he trying to ram her car?
The claim is that he tried to hit their car with his, and that is cause for a charge like this.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
It sounds to me as if the police handled this perfectly, and I have just a bit of experience in these matters.

Many do not realize that police officers are afforded zero flexibility in most of these cases. Attempting to run someone down with a vehicle is not something police officers are allowed to overlook, let alone much smaller offenses. Things changed across the country after the OJ case. In NYC, they changed drastically in a matter of a few weeks.

Now for some speculation: I would say that there is a 90% chance that alcohol was involved, which it is in a big majority of cases. He was arrested approx. 4 hours after the alleged incident, right? There was ample time for some of the alcohol to have worn off. Also, he could have decided to drink AFTER he left the scene, thus no arrest.

And, here is a little secret about alcohol:
If a person is a consistent drinker, it is almost a given that the most out of character, wildest things they have done in life were done while consuming alcohol.
If a person is a virtual non-drinker, the wildest, most out of character things they have done in life ALSO were done while consuming alcohol more often than not.

Now, they were all out until 1:30 AM. Jay, who happened to be at the home of his ex and sees her with a "friend" (which the "friend" thing could possibly be true). My guess is that it will be a bit dificult for Jay's lawyer to come up with a plausible defense for him, but of course I wasn't there.

The above is just an educated guess, but I will say again that it sounds to me like the officers on the scene and their supervisors did a fine job.

I also wish to compliment Jay for not fighting the police officers. He is probably a very tough guy and there would have been quite a few injuries if he had done so.
I don’t like that he was charged based on witness testimony from two people who would benefit from the charges.

You want to put him in the tank to cool off because he was stupid enough to come back? Fine, I’m all for preventing a domestic dispute from turning into a tragedy. What I’m not okay with is charging him with a crime, and making him pay money to get out of jail based on witness accounts of someone who can benefit from this charging. Not to mention the fact that should nothing come of this the article that the charges were dropped will be much smaller than the article about him being charged is.

Reactions: bamabelle1991

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don’t like that he was charged based on witness testimony from two people who would benefit from the charges.
To be fair, we do not know who the witness was. Could just as easily have been just a friend. That person would likely be biased as Sara's friend, but might have nothing at all to gain.

Reactions: Con

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

You want to put him in the tank to cool off because he was stupid enough to come back? Fine, I’m all for preventing a domestic dispute from turning into a tragedy. What I’m not okay with is charging him with a crime, and making him pay money to get out of jail based on witness accounts of someone who can benefit from this charging. Not to mention the fact that should nothing come of this the article that the charges were dropped will be much smaller than the article about him being charged is.
Police always take a victim report before charges are filed unless the victim or witnesses can't give a report. That is literally how crime is reported.

• Thank You
Reactions: PaulD and 92tide

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
The claim is that he tried to hit their car with his, and that is cause for a charge like this.
I would guess if you wanted to ram a car with the one you are in it would not be hard to do. Especially if the other car is not moving. Did he make a serious attempt to hit the car and couldn’t do it? That just seems odd to me.

I wonder if it might be more accurate, instead of “he tried to run me over” if the claim was “he came too close to my car with his car while I was in it.”

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I would guess if you wanted to ram a car with the one you are in it would not be hard to do. Especially if the other car is not moving. Did he make a serious attempt to hit the car and couldn’t do it? That just seems odd to me.

I wonder if it might be more accurate, instead of “he tried to run me over” if the claim was “he came too close to my car with his car while I was in it.”
We have no way of knowing

Reactions: Chukker Veteran

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.