What are your top 5 football movies of all time?

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
1 - The Lord of the Rings (extended editions) - all 3 count as 1 IMO.
2 - Schindler's List - This film affected me emotionally more than any other movie I have ever watched, so powerful.
3 - Star Wars - No bloody special edition, the original that I grew up watching and sparked my imagination.
4 - Raiders of the Lost Ark - It's Indiana Jones, enough said.
5 tie - E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial - I'm not ashamed to admit that this movie can still make me tear up at the end, John Williams's score just puts it over the top, the best, most perfectly scored movie of all time.
5 tie - Superman: The Movie - Christopher Reeve will always be the man of steel and John Williams's score sings the name "Superman".

Plenty of honorable mentions like Alien, Aliens, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Jurassic Park, Psycho, Vertigo, West Side Story (both original and the Spielberg versions), Ture Grit (the Coen bros. remake), Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, The Grand Budapest Hotel. Way too many to keep listing.

• Wow
Reactions: MILEHIGHTIDE

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
2 - Schindler's List - This film affected me emotionally more than any other movie I have ever watched, so powerful.
3 - Star Wars - No bloody special edition, the original that I grew up watching and sparked my imagination.

5 tie - E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial - I'm not ashamed to admit that this movie can still make me tear up at the end, John Williams's score just puts it over the top, the best, most perfectly scored movie of all time.
5 tie - Superman: The Movie - Christopher Reeve will always be the man of steel.

Plenty of honorable mentions like Alien, Aliens, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Jurassic Park, Psycho, Vertigo, West Side Story (both original and the Spielberg versions), Ture Grit (the Coen bros. remake), Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, The Grand Budapest Hotel. Way too many to keep listing.
lots of football in those movies

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
I just no noticed it said football movies. Sorry. I'll have to come up with another list now. Honestly, I'm not a big football movie fan because the football scenes always look so fake to me and modern football movies make the stadiums look so dark that I wonder if the filmmakers have ever watched a football game.

Like the trailers for those 2 new football movies, American Underdog and National Champions, the football scenes look so cheesy and staged (of course they are staged). It just takes me out of the movie.

Reactions: The Ols

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
5 tie - Superman: The Movie - Christopher Reeve will always be the man of steel and John Williams's score sings the name "Superman".

🏈???

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
This is just making me realize there just aren't many truly great football movies.
One could easily argue just two of the ones in my list are as good or better than any baseball movie.

We Are Marshall and Remember The Titans for example.

I love the game of baseball as much as anyone but I don't see how anyone can say one category is any better than the other.

There are plenty of both.....

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
I think there are more baseball movies I like than football movies. I think it is easier to make baseball look convincing in a movie vs. football or basketball.

Not saying these are all great movies but, I enjoy them more than any of the football movies I listed: Field of Dreams, Eight Men Out, Bull Durham, The Natural, Moneyball, A League of Their Own, The Sandlot, For Love of the Game, The Bad News Bears (original), Major League, The Rookie and 42.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
One could easily argue just two of the ones in my list are as good or better than any baseball movie.

I love the game of baseball as much as anyone but I don't see how anyone can say one category is any better than the other.

Idk I'm not a huge fan of We Are Marshall. I do love Remember The Titans though.

I actually don't like Baseball the sport at all but I still think they probably do have more and better movies by a good margin

Reactions: The Ols

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Eh. Idk. There are far more really great baseball movies and shows. It’s more because football movies tend to try to portray “manliness” and community but often comes across as either too Disney or too 80’s action hero.

baseball movies and shows are very wide ranging. You can talk about the corruption (8 men out), race (42), life (FOD and For the love of the game), the underdog (the rookie), and the corporation (moneyball). Baseball movies have an easier time relating to people who absolutely hate baseball. I know far more people who love moneyball, major league, and FOD that hate sports and baseball than those who hate football liking any football movie

Idk I'm not a huge fan of We Are Marshall. I do love Remember The Titans though.

I actually don't like Baseball the sport at all but I still think they probably do have more and better movies by a good margin
We are Marshall is okay. I really only listed it because I needed 5 and I was running out of good ones. Like Billy bean says “ how can you not be romantic about baseball”. It’s true, they make better stories than football and basketball. I’m actually trying to think what the best sports movie is and miracle comes to mind, moneyball is up there, but they are mostly dominated by boxing and baseball movies. No football movie makes my top 10 of the top of my head.

Reactions: RollTide_HTTR

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
We are Marshall is okay. I really only listed it because I needed 5 and I was running out of good ones. Like Billy bean says “ how can you not be romantic about baseball”. It’s true, they make better stories than football and basketball. I’m actually trying to think what the best sports movie is and miracle comes to mind, moneyball is up there, but they are mostly dominated by boxing and baseball movies. No football movie makes my top 10 of the top of my head.
Agreed.

Honestly, I could probably think of a sports movie about baseball, basketball, wrestling, boxing and hockey that I would take over my favorite football movie. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there were even more sports that I'm not thinking of that would rank above my favorite football movie.

And Football is far and away my favorite sport to watch.

Reactions: 81usaf92

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Now that I think about it, I cannot think of 5 great basketball movies. Hoosiers is the only one I can think of. Blue Chips is only ok. Basketball Diaries was again just ok.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Agreed.

Honestly, I could probably think of a sports movie about baseball, basketball, wrestling, boxing and hockey that I would take over my favorite football movie. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there were even more sports that I'm not thinking of that would rank above my favorite football movie.

And Football is far and away my favorite sport to watch.
I think it might actually be the individual nature of most baseball and boxing movies that make them better. Those movies tend to focus on the few instead of the team and how they overcame their struggles. More time is given for character and story development. Most football movies tend to have characters and teammates with very little depth or they obviously change the historical aspects to try to make a compelling movie. Blindside, Remember the Titans, and invincible are the biggest offenders of this.

Reactions: RollTide_HTTR

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Now that I think about it, I cannot think of 5 great basketball movies. Hoosiers is the only one I can think of. Blue Chips is only ok. Basketball Diaries was again just ok.
Coach carter and glory road are okay. Keep in mind that I hate basketball so it’s gotta be a mainstream event for me to watch

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.