NCAA Portal Talk

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Agreed you don't necessarily have to but when you have an alpha throwing to an alpha it is pretty much unstoppable. Mac and Devonta/Waddle showed that last year and we have an alpha at QB. An alpha WR or two will come out of the current group and the incoming freshmen.
Yup & having a stud RB like Jahmyr Gibbs coming in will give us balance on offense that could become unstoppable.. Next years offense will be scary good..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yup & having a stud RB like Jahmyr Gibbs coming in will give us balance on offense that could become unstoppable.. Next years offense will be scary good..
IMO it totally depends on o-line play. That is the huge unknown for Alabama right now with both tackles gone. If you get that worked out in the first few games, you are good. But with Marrone? I just don't know.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
IMO it totally depends on o-line play. That is the huge unknown for Alabama right now with both tackles gone. If you get that worked out in the first few games, you are good. But with Marrone? I just don't know.
Agreed. Replacing Neal is going to be almost impossible. Does Cohen move to LT or does Brockermeyer develop? I think Latham will be one our tackles next year.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
You make a valid point..Coach Saban has recruited some stud OLinemen the last couple of classes & there's no reason we shouldn't have a dominant OLine or you would think so anyways

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Not necessarily. You can win with a group of equals and lose with a group of alphas. Yeah it’s preferable to have a dominant receiver and a utility guy but it’s by far not a defining feature amongst national championship teams.
Every year we have won a NC except 2011 we’ve had at least one Alpha.
Julio
Cooper
Ridley
The 4 Horsemen
Smitty

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Every year we have won a NC except 2011 we’ve had at least one Alpha.
Julio
Cooper
Ridley
The 4 Horsemen
Smitty
Ridley was not an alpha receiver. He was an upgraded #2 guy. He is more like a Juju Smith Schuster type guy. We won 2 NCs with so so performances by him. 14 yards vs Clemson and 32 vs Georgia. I would say the combination of him, Mulaney, and OJ helped us have a very effective passing game in 2015 but take away any part of that and we probably aren’t playing for a title that year. In 2017 Smitty actually had the bigger impact in big games. I would say Henry and our defense got us 90% to Arizona and Kiffin, Coker, some ST, and OJ got us the other 10%. In 2017 our defense was great and our offense limped until the title.

Calvin really was the weakest ace that we have had from 08- present. In 2015 and 2017 we mostly won championships because we were just far superior to our schedule and we had quarterbacks and OCs that had masterful NCGs.

If you have guys that can catch and find space and a quarterback good enough to find them then it really doesn’t matter if you have a dominant guy. I mean Georgia just won one with a TE and a running back. The difference in the game vs Georgia wasn’t Jamo it was we had a bunch of open guys dropping balls and not getting separation. Catch 2-3 critical passes and the game is won our way.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
2010 was his last year and it was one of the most loaded teams we had but we wound up with 3 losses.
Thanks - so the 2011 team had no WRs who anyone would remotely consider to be a dominant guy, much less an Alpha. But that really was a different era in college football. It all started to change in 2012.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
But he was on the team that won the title 2009, undefeated, and was also on the 2008 team that ran the regular season table.

I think you have to keep that one guy, the big hitter receiver, always available and show that to other teams. Keeps them honest, so they can't ignore that threat. Even with Metchie out, Georgia was in for a fight with just Williams on the field. When he went down, well, UGA caught a break.

Reactions: The Ols and B1GTide

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Yep. I don't care how good your skill guys are, if you don't have the big uglies up front knocking people out of the way, you won't get very far. Hopefully we have a bunch of good ones just waiting for their turn.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
Yep. I don't care how good your skill guys are, if you don't have the big uglies up front knocking people out of the way, you won't get very far. Hopefully we have a bunch of good ones just waiting for their turn.
Me too. While it seems I can "plug and play" the so called skill guys, just pick one up in the portal, OL takes some time to get right. You've likely heard it said before that the line had to "gel together", and I think that's true. They spend every down right next to one another. While each man has an assignment on each play, they work as a cohesive unit. Nothing individual about their performances. If that doesn't happen during the course of a season, whew......Just think what Bryce Young's Heisman season COULD have been, with the best offensive line.

He and BRob did it all this year, without as much protection up front.

Reactions: B1GTide

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Saw somewhere today that Jaylen Moody is withdrawing from the Portal and staying at Bama. Has anyone else seen this? Not wanting to start a rumor...just cannot remember where I read it...really tired and getting old...LOL.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.